Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax on fresh jap import

Options
  • 05-01-2022 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I was about to start the process to get a Silvia S15 imported from Japan until I learned how much the motor tax may cost me. Being the highest emissions bracket that's looks like 2400 bones per year.

After reading the official websites, they state the CO2 emission based tax bands are only applicable to cars registered after 2008 and 'seem' to be targeting only new cars. They dont mention older used cars anywhere.

Meanwhile, there are some forum posts mentioning how great it is that all jap imports brought in after 2008 will remain on the old tax brackets (only 700ish quid in my case).

After all it wouldn't make sense (not that sense plays a role in the government) that 2 identical cars would cost vastly different amounts of tax just because of the date they were imported?

Can anyone confirm before I lose my partner and home paying tax on this car for the next 8 years until it becomes a classed as vintage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If it was manufactured and first registered before 2008 then the car will be on the old engine CC based motor tax once it is cleared in the county by Revenue. VRT, VAT, duty and NOx are an entirely different matter however and are partly based on emissions.

If the S15 has the SR20DET in it (or whatever succeeded it), then you will pay just over the €700 a year in motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TTG TriCkSh0tZz

That's good to hear. VRT is the only other concern now since I was told today that the only other s15 on donedeal right now is looking for 50k because the VRT costing them near 20k recently. That was said by a 3rd party so idk how valid that is but damn it's all crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Have you done any research on this at all? Try entering the car details into the vrt calculator for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

As said above, S15 Silvia is pre 2008 so it will be 710 euro for the year to tax.

The majority of Japanese cars are not on the VRT calculator, including the S15 Silvia, so you're not going to get a valid estimate on VRT unless you ask around and see what others have paid. You can join the Irish Drifting Community group on Facebook and put up a post there, as there will be more knowledgeable people on JDM imports there. You can also appeal the amount of VRT you pay. Most people are successful in this.

Be prepared to pay anywhere from 5k to 10k in VRT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TTG TriCkSh0tZz

Thanks for all your help guys. I've decided to abandon the idea since I read the fine print and did the calculations.

Most s15's are going for around 30,000 these days so that's what they're gonna use as market value, not the 18,000ish that I'll be paying. Doubt I'll be able to dispute my way out of that

Based on that market value:

- Exporter fee: ?

- Shipping: 1000

- Customs duty: 1800

- VAT: 4370

- VRT (CO2 + NOx fees): 12300 + 600

It'll be nearly 40k by the time it's registered never mind motor tax and insurance. Also, thats not a typo, it really is 12 thousand 300 hundred for just the CO2 emission tax..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭goochy

Crowd in waterford import jdm cars to order . You could check with them how much one would cost from them just so you know your own figures are rIght ?

Advertisement