Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are 99% of phones so comically large?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

only the iphone mini (12 & 13) have 5G, so effectively you’re looking at “mid-range” in terms of android?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The Internet 3g is easier to use on a large phone people take selfies, phones are cheap, you always have your phone with u, before phones people would read a book or a newspaper while on a bus. I think apple should make a 5 inch phone some people would buy it, some people want a phone they can put in a Jeans pocket large phones are popular whether u like them or not, like reality TV or soap operas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I still carry a 2010 Samsung Wave (3.3" display) which runs Bada OS, for calls and texts, and have an S10 for other things.

There's loads of phones that are 6.2 inch on sale, if people did not buy a large phone company's would go back to 4 or 5 inch phones, when phones were 4 inch they only thing you could do with them was txt,talk, or play games like snake, if you want to worry about the environment worry about bitcoin, and nfts that use up megawatts of power for no good purpose. The power system in Texas is not ready for cold or extreme weather, people are moving there just to mine bitcoin because of low taxs lack of regulation. Even if you live in a flat a 50 inch TV does not take up much space if its mounted on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

But I don't care about the environment and I own lots of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies and it has plenty good purpose hence why it's about 300% more valuable now than when I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Making your own brand of tiny phone could be the next step in further building your business empire.

The problem I have with big phones is they take a long time to charge , my phone is 6.2 inches I can fast charge it in 65 minutes. I'd like to buy a Nokia 1.4 but reviews say it takes 4 hours to charge. That's way too long . I think alot of people look at insta social media while at work so a big phone is handy for watching tik Tok YouTube etc I understand someone with small hands may not want a 6.5 inch phone i just use a phone until it stops working or the battery does not last long . yes bitcoin maybe a good investment but its really bad for the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A significant proportion of bitcoin mining is done using renewables. Over 90% of all bitcoins have already been mined, using far less energy than for current ones. The Chinese wanted to ban bitcoin so they claimed it took too much energy and was bad for the environment, when some of the big mining operations were sited at the foot of that edifice of environmental destruction, the Yangtze Three Gorges dam, because the electricity from that renewable source was almost free. Others were sited near vast solar farms that are described as stranded power, because they are in such remote locations relative to the areas of consumption and the infrastructure between is insufficient to convey all their output. Again, because the electricity was nearly free and in this case was going to waste

You mentioned Texas -lol!

"Texas company uses Bitcoin mines powered by renewables to stabilize the grid" https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/news/texas-company-uses-bitcoin-mines-powered-by-renewables-to-stabilize-the-grid/

The global power consumption of bitcoin mining is less than the potential power of all the waste gas blown off by the oil and gas industry, which in 2019 was 900 Twh of gas flared. Bitcoin mining consumes something like 129 Twh, 39% of which is from renewables and increasing all the time due to the bad press.

" Gas Flaring Powers Bitcoin Mining For Wesco

16 March 2021, 17:31 GMT+0000

The EZ Smartgrid Flaring Mitigation System has reduced Wesco Inc.’s gas flaring to 0 mcf a day.

The system converts otherwise wasted natural gas into electricity to power BTC mining.

Despite its large carbon footprint, some crypto firms are working towards greater sustainability."

Then there's nuclear:

"In July, micro-nuclear reactor company Oklo and bitcoin mining company Compass Mining announced a 20-year commercial partnership in which Oklo will eventually power a portion of Compass’ mining activities with carbon-free nuclear energy.

Earlier in July, Akron, Ohio-based energy company Energy Harbor Corp. announced it will provide nuclear power to Standard Power’s new Bitcoin blockchain mining center in Coshocton, Ohio beginning in December 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Building energy capacity and maintaining it isn't free, renewable or not. Cryptobros with a conscience can keep telling themselves it's not bad for the environment, it'll always be the use of energy that could better be used for something productive. The wasteful practices of the oil and gas industry don't make it okay to waste energy elsewhere. Both are problems.

But all of that is off-topic, so I'll finish there.

Because they're an ultra portable touch screen computer, media consumption devices and high resolution cameras that we happen to call phones, even though making calls is just a secondary application these days.

The concept of a "phone" these days has nothing to do with the telephone. They just evolved through the sales channels of old cell phones.

That's also effectively why Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Siemens etc all failed to make a mark in the smartphone sector - they are telephone companies in the traditional sense and grew handset businesses on the back of their network equipment relationships with telcos. When smartphones arrived, the product became a computer and silicon valley naturally had a massive advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

A laptop can also be considered ultra portable.

Portability was the number 1 reason for the very existence of mobile phones. Now portability has been bumped further down the priority list than it should have.

In your opinion, but the market would say otherwise. Apple, for example, initially refused to make a larger format iPhone and Samsung and other android device makers ate its lunch. People wanted bigger screens and didn’t necessarily want to carry a tablet.

There are smaller smartphones and they don’t sell very well.

Folding screens may become more common, but so far I’m not seeing a huge rush to them.

Advertisement