Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

seamus wrote: »
    After the initial 4 challenges though, which are really just the game tutorial, it gets much more immersive and enjoyable.

Funnily enough for me, I found the exact opposite. I felt the game really shone brightly during the Divine Beast stages. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to learn these were the only dungeons in the game, and all I had left to do was Ganon or more of the Shrines.

I suppose it'll suit some players and not others. I was never one for side quests, filler, open world exploration....and I always preferred a strong linear narrative (probably why I love the Zelda series so much). I sincerely hope the sequel has a wealth of rich dungeons, a bombastic soundtrack, and a better balance of open world versus linearity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Inviere wrote: »
    Funnily enough for me, I found the exact opposite. I felt the game really shone brightly during the Divine Beast stages. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to learn these were the only dungeons in the game, and all I had left to do was Ganon or more of the Shrines.

I suppose it'll suit some players and not others. I was never one for side quests, filler, open world exploration....and I always preferred a strong linear narrative (probably why I love the Zelda series so much). I sincerely hope the sequel has a wealth of rich dungeons, a bombastic soundtrack, and a better balance of open world versus linearity.

I guess they designed it so the shrines were decontructed dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Inviere wrote: »
    Ha, I was talking about the four original shrines being the tutorial. Tbh, I'm not really expecting anything more than the 4 divine beasts, but I can see why someone might be expecting more, "You're trapped in here till you solve all the puzzles"-type dungeons.

I've been at this for months now with only one divine beast; I tend to meander and explore more than go straight for the big missions. I always did the same in GTA. So it suits me down to the ground.

The Nal wrote: »
    I guess they designed it so the shrines were decontructed dungeons.

They were a VERY poor substitute imo. Some interesting puzzles for sure, but I'd have preferred less shrines and more in the way of unique dungeons all with their own individuality.

seamus wrote: »
    I've been at this for months now with only one divine beast; I tend to meander and explore more than go straight for the big missions. I always did the same in GTA. So it suits me down to the ground.

Yeah that's where it'll suit some players more than others. If you're into meandering, BotW will be fantastic. That said, even though I prefer the linear approach to zelda games, BotW is an absolute masterclass in how to design an open world game. I'd expect nothing less from Nintendo too, they're up there with the best devs in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really enjoyed the shrines, possibly my favourite bits of the game. Except for the motion control ones, those were garbage.

BotW was the first Zelda game I ever played and I think that lessened my enjoyment of it as I had no clue about anything. Not that there's much of a story, but rather I didn't really get the whole overworld / dungeon concept. The extreme openness of it doesn't appeal to me, I am not the sort of player who will happily just walk around for an hour to see what I find, I prefer clear objectives.

But it was still fun. I did the 4 beasts but didn't do Ganon.

My nephew mentioned to me that he had a lend of the game for a couple of days and so rather than try to do the whole game, he made his way straight to Hyrule Castle without the four beasts to face Ganon.

I didn't really believe him, so I gave it a go myself the other day with only two beasts done. It is possible, there's a lot of dodging Guardians and climbing walls to get to the main sanctum without being killed, but it can be done. You can get there, but facing Ganon is another thing altogether.

You have to fight whatever Blights you haven't killed already, back-to-back, before fighting Ganon. With no time to breath or restock between them. So unless you have like 50 Ancient arrows or all of the strongest weapons in the game, then you haven't a hope.

I did it the first time I played the game, by mistake. Got off the plateau and headed straight to the castle. Killed very quickly.

The speed run crew do it. Current record is 25 mins 33 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah sure that was said before release. Said you could go straight to the castle and finish in less than an hour if you wanted to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

The whole game is basically a test of your confidence. At any point you can take on the final boss, he's always there, visible from almost anywhere in the map. Its up to you when you think you're ready to take him on. Personally I had beat the 4 Beasts and had got to a point where I was still meandering my way through the map and levelling up. One day I decided it was time to take him on. Was so much fun going to all the different shops before hand, stocking up on ammo and health in different places to get ready for the battle. Basically selling most of what I owned to stock up as much as possible. That moment as I stepped into the final battle was one of my favourite moments in gaming, purely because of the journey to get to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Fantastic game. My first open world game. Have gone through a few more now on Xbox. But nothing matches that game. Really looking forward to the sequel. I'm glad they are taking the time to do that justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Peco is live on youtube master mode fighting the whole coliseum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLsbZ_0lXU

unreal

Post edited by safetyboy on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If it makes you feel any better, I'm playing 2 years and only stumbled into kakiroko village today for the first time. I play for 2 hours every week and I've completed a bunch of tough shrine challenges with just 5 hearts and no extra stamina. I probably spent 5 weeks on eventide Island alone. Still no divine beasts but I'm back on the main story now (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

In case anyone’s wondering, the vid is of your man Peco pushing all the Coliseum enemies down to where the lynel is, then proceeding to fight them all simultaneously. In master mode.

Absolute stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I only found that place myself after a long, long, time. I went, way, way, way, off the beaten track. That was the beauty of the game. And that Korok 💩 was along the route, if I remember correctly. Love that game to bits.

So my daughter is also playing it. Doing very well I have to say, at her age I'd have been totally lost. She's explored a lot of the map, but basically managed to get everywhere through stealth. She's not fighting any enemies, running away at every opportunity, finding shrines but not doing them. Every time she picks up something, she sells it. So she has basically no food or elixirs.

She looks at my game and keeps wondering how I have so much gear and money and I tell her it's because I explore everything and fight enemies.

Any road, she ends up in the divine best with Thunderblight Ganon. She's completed the terminals bit and didn't realise there was a huge boss to fight. "Dad, can you do this for me?". She doesn't know the fight mechanics of the game at all.

What's she got? 3 hearts, 2 axes, 1 bomb arrow and no food or potions. Jesus Christ. She won't let me exit the beast to get more stuff. Two weeks later we eventually killed him together. My flurry rush game is on point now. At least in that time she also learned how to fight.

I check in on her after a few hours more gameplay and she's got 7 hearts, tripled her money and she's now loaded down with weapons and items :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That's a fantastic story, and fair play taking down Thunderb*****d Ganon with so little!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesnicholson

Have you tried the expansion pack? It seems a good continuation of the game. Gonna purchase soon once I completed all the shrines.

Yes.

The champions ballad is great. I've put the master trials and master mode on hold.

You also get a hero's path mode which shows you where you've been on the map which is great for finding the remaining shrines.

Recommend.

It's often in their digital sales eg at half price. So maybe wait for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

First thing you should do when you start playing BotW is buy the DLC and get the saddle that lets you teleport your horse. Makes the game much more enjoyable in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's great till you're trying to 'whistle-sprint' up a hill/mountain, and the horse teleports to be beside you every couple of dozen steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

New Nintendo patent unveils more about Zelda: BOTW 2 gameplay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must pick this up on the WiiU, just to have it in the collection

I ordered it before deciding to get the Switch and decided not to cancel the order so I would have it for my collection as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

IGN’s recent 2021 update of the Top 100 games of all time (previous version last updated in 2019) has moved BOTW to No.1 (up from No.5).

It displaces Super Mario World from the top spot. As a first and second place combo, I have zero complaints about this as they remain my fave games ever.

Do many other companies patent such game mechanics? Seems utterly ridiculous thing to do

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This article has some examples of other companies who have taken out patents to cover their ideas. It's no different to any other software development company taking action to ensure they retain legal rights for their work.

As game development gets more expensive for larger titles, I see it becoming more common, and licencing will expand to cover it.

I suppose spending months/years on developing software or tech justifies patenting it. Definitely can be justified more than ones patenting or trademarking words or terms like It Takes Two

• Advertisement

So anyway, end of this year at the earliest?

Advertisement