Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 4x07 - '...But to Connect' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 30-12-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x07 - '...But to Connect' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well there's the mid season finale. One major question that this season has left me with so far. Can absolutely anybody join any meeting they want to, without any questions? Both with Book and the Risan lad just hopping into a high level diplomatic meeting, without any issue, and Grey and Adira just running into a meeting of senior staff members because they decide they should help. It's ridiculous and lazy writing.

I swear to Christ though, they better not actually get the Risan to the mirror universe. They've drunk from that well far too many times and it's a stupid motivating factor for him. I also thought that Cronenburg was called in to try and get the coordinates from the ship, not counsel the ship and crew? They seemed to forget that important bit of information until the end. The only one with a brain in their head about the whole emotional ship thing was Stamets. Never mind the fact an emotional computer is problematic, the fact that the ship itself will decide what is or isn't important should be immediate grounds for deleting the computer entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Damnnnnnn! What a cliffhanger!!

Who the frick are the builders of the DMA?!?!! I'm guessing it's gonna be a last moment reveal next episode or even further.

Looks like there'll be some exploring outside of Federation space to get Book back. Cool that the jump drive is replicable and possibly going to be an established future tech.. if it can be a stable one.

Think the Stamets and Culber arc this season has been developed really strongly. Hope there's no plan to get rid of one... again.

Ooooh! and another parallel universe exploration possibility coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

Pretty good!

Glad we got an episode dealing with Zora, that was getting ridiculous. I'm not sure I agree with the argument against some sort of kill switch though. Maybe I could be convinced by another speech, really heart-felt this time, but a crew member could be stunned, killed, vaporized, or pushed out an airlock if absolutely necessary -- and Zora simply can not. She is the airlock! And the armory room, and the shield controls. It's not the same.

But at least they had the discussion and it'll be interesting to have the ship as a crew-member going forward.

Decent bit of Star Trek politics and diplomacy on the Burnham and Booker show. I really dislike those sets though. I guess it's supposed to be Starfleet HQ? Blinding lights everywhere, nonsensical architecture, everyone just standing around quietly in empty light-rooms.

And Booker's ship is the worst. I guess they're going for the technology so advanced it's indistinguishable from magic, but there are limits to that and I think they've trampled over them. Nobody is looking at a cool panel of wavey grey-pixel looking "programmable matter" in a hurry and going to know what the hell is going on. Feels lazy and really poorly thought out. I notice we've barely seen another 32nd century starship on screen recently and I hope they're busy working on some better ideas for them.

Decent effort anyway. Small enough episode insofar as it lacked any major events, but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I pray to god that is the last we see of Gray

Why did Burnham get a vote? And saves the day again, the president must be the most useless character ever

Really hate how things happen out of nowhere - Zora becomes immediately sentient, Books ship now has a spore drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

an improvement on last weeks episode which remains (for me IMHO) the worst. This wasnt bad in fairness but we learned far too little.

My aggravations are

-The main plot of this season is somewhat interesting - i am engaged in some theorizing as to who or what the DMA is- however the constant side steps into 'other plots' and 'character development' are infuriating. I realize some might be seeing these steps as reminiscent of classic trek - for me they are not. some sub plots have been interesting, i freely admit that - but the majority (the computer is alive, Gray/Adira, Book Breakdown, Tilly, and of course, Burnham, Burnham, Burnham, and Burnham) - are just boring and unnecessary

-Not gonna repeat the 'Burnham is Key' complaint except to say, obviously, she is/was/remained/will-be Key - which in my view is approaching parody at this stage

-'Would have been nice' moment successfully missed a trick in not showing us who else is a foot in the milkway - Dominion? The Klingon Empire? Whats going on in the Delta Quadrant? unless i seriously missed something all we saw were a group of Max-Makeup Aliens that would not have looked out of place in a Bar on Mos Eisley

probably on par with the best this season has offered up - however IMHO we are still in very poor territory when compared to the franchise as a whole - S3 and S4 (so far) are the two poorest seasons within the franchise - and the gap between said seasons and the rest of trek continues to widen

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

"Burnham is key" is annoying me a lot less now that she's also captain of the ship. It doesn't excuse all of it but it does help some.

This season also seems to be have a lot more plot that she isn't directly involved with, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Not sure what to make of that episode. Lots of Burnham telling everyone about Federation ideals and talking softly so that people are more empathetic to her opinion. It’s bloody boring. She’s definitely no Picard or Sisko in the speeches category.

Book getting somewhat manipulated is actually good. It justifies the time spent on him dealing with his grief. It’s actually completely believable in terms of the characters state of mind. I just hope he suffers real consequences for his actions after this. This show seems to give everyone a free pass on lack of discipline.

Stamets was the best part of this episode as he voiced every viewers opinion on the threat posed by having an emotional AI running your ship.

Gray hopefully stays on Thrill and just like Tilly i hope we see less and less of them. Adira is quite likeable on her own (or their own. Not sure what pronouns are being used).

Is Saru going to get romantic with the Vulcan? Good on ya Saru. By far the most consistent character in the show.

Cant say I’m counting down the days to the return episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭cassette50

They've spent more time on character development for the computer in two episodes then the rest of the bridge crew in 4 seasons.

Surely could have found a suitable venue with seats for this big galactic meeting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's some solid aspects to this one. It at least goes with the higher principles of Star Trek, going with a message of not responding to fear, and engaging with the unknown. I liked how the Zora and DMA plots paralleled each other in that regard.

And as has been the trend throughout the season, b-plots are followed up, and side characters get more time. Even Saru and T'Rina gets some time.

But it's all done in a very plodding manner, only to rush to a cliff hanger in the last two minutes.

With the first half of the season done, it feels insipid and bland. Still better than season 3 even so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Was alright.

Glad they got around to stating there is more than one universe other than the Mirror universe.

The Zora AI subplot was quite good.

Saru is definitely going to get jiggy with the Vulcan one

Glad Gray is going to Trill, pointless character.

Alright ending. Glad they are thinking of changing Spore name.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Not the worst. Just way too much time given to emotions and interpersonal relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

A ridiculous theory exists that a super advanced race would see us a bugs. Wiping us out, like me using medicine on scratchy parts.

Super advanced have history though. They know they didn't just come into existence and become technologicaly advanced(like the Wraith). Would have studied their own origins and every single thing that they encountered after.

Wiping us out for our pitiful resources, nonsensical. Everything that is on our planet is in abundance within our solar system. No reason to even waste resources contacting us. Unless of course, they want to know.

Every reason for seeing other life as a threat can be counter argued. Can't make sense. If enough life can pass on their knowledge to manipulate their environment enough to go beyond. A level of cooperation would be required

So anyway. The DMA can't be completely benign. Any species that evolved on a planet and came to be sentient would know the affects and effects 😉 of it it another galaxy. Possible maby it's tearing something from subspace that can't be precieved as of yet.

Mad sex planet genius knows more than he is letting on. Most likely him and his buddy caused. Created some kind of energy or field. That a higher order of being in his parallel universe requires.

Hope its summit that no one has theory bout tho.

Discovery does listen to people during mid season interval 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Over the limit to operate a keyboard myself ☹️

Watching the Expanse. Shyte as the last series is. Am very upset. I have serious patience. Didn't know about it till series 2. Was elsewhere. Got awesome reviews from all of the likes of the critical they/them who/whouer that I read on these scribble out let's. Was at the end of series 2. So I waited. Then waited.

Watched all 5 series in week and a half. Was not wrong. The writers that I assume are genderless now, were correct. It was wow, cudnt wait to get home from my employment as entity to watch each episode and be engulfed and stay up late beside the equal of myself, an identical entity and wait for another episode. All the while judging and wondering why everyone was different in the future.

We as identical in all but seperate beings. Just stood up and went to bed in unison knowing that all future entity's would be like us.

All would know that people in the past were wrong. Different opions and views were out of place. People who shouted the loudest got heard.

One of us. One of us.

Galaxy is food. That great attractor is someone's plate. Our existence of billions of years is nothing to another being. Dma is a fork

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was disappointed someone on the bottom floor didn't shout for Burnham to speak up.

"Blessed are the cheesemakers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I thought the parallel storylines thing was a bit hamfisted, like so much else it was thrust into your face, just in case we missed it.

Similar to the opening few minutes when we have exposition vomit from everyone, just in case we cant figure things out.

The open door policy in the galactic council was ridiculous, as was the "What do we do about Zora" gang, now with more genders!

Why do we not have the Admiral at the meeting? but instead get burnham, book & scientist guy?

I watched The Witcher over the last week and couldnt help but compare about how different they were, after 1 season of it I knew most of the characters and what they were about.

I really wish I wasnt a trekkie as I'm basically hate watching it these days.

Stammets & Dr Cronenberg are good, the rest of them pretty much just annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not a fan of the personal transporters. Doesn't seem a great idea considering how easily Book and the scientist were able to instantly get beside people in power like presidents. Would think there would be some protection in place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I got the impression that their communicators are tied into the ships transporter system, rather than containing the transporter itself. Otherwise they could have been used in other places, e.g. when the cadets were stuck on that ice world. So there could still be safeguards at the transporter level, including weapon and site lockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just worried it will become an emotional mess of betrayed love, bla, bla, bla between Micheal and Booker.

Characters that are memorable or work for the show.

Saru

Stammets

Dr Cronenberg

I either cannot remember the rest of their names are quite obscure. Just part of the cult of Michael.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But there is still nothing to explain how you can transport to a location just by wishing it and hitting your comm badge...its magic rather than science.

/edit

And also doesnt explain why anyone walks anywhere anymore.

Even with all the other problems this show has, I think this is (part of) the biggest one for me. The production values, set designs, and technology are all so much style and flash over substance, it really detracts from the whole.

From the outset with that stupid spinning saucer on the Discovery, to those new 32nd century holo-displays that appear when you need them with the info you're looking for, controlled by wherever and however the actor waves their hand in the moment, or Booker's ship breaking into 50 pieces every time it makes a turn, control panels that are entirely unintelligible, and all that "programmable matter" which just does whatever the plot dictates.

And now there's detached nacelles which so far I don't think we've seen any rhyme or reason for, and space-stations with hallway-bridges with no rail or barrier over huge empty spaces in-between empty-looking rooms with white lights and everyone just standing or walking around going nowhere. None of this feels like it exists at all because most of it is either impossible or just nonsensical, or both.

Plus whatever material they're using for the uniforms and costumes looks like some sort of arts-and-crafts foam and, honestly, I don't think the creature makeup has improved much in appearance in the 30+ years since TNG/DS9. More elaborate, sure, but if anything they look more like plastic/rubber masks now than they ever did.

And the real kicker is that even if Discovery is canned and replaced with something else, or another show opens up along side it, or the Disco story just gets good (it has been improving!), we're probably stuck with this aesthetic for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed the computer (partially) in the last couple of episodes but thank GOD Grey is gone for a while. Never really clicked with me. Whereas I REALLY enjoy Adira. I enjoyed how the computer is evolving to become the version we saw in that short so long ago.

So, while I enjoy the computer, I didn't like how Grey was all of a sudden the one with unfettered access to fix it (And unrestricted access to the f*cking BRIDGE!!!).

But again. You have Book giving a decent speech. The President says anyone against? You (Or at least I) went "Oh God. Here we go about Hope (With a capital "H") The morals of The Federation. Talking. Peace. Acceptance and tears or something". Then for a minute it seems there may NOT be a heartfelt speech from t... oh wait. Nope, here we go....

The trailer for Part 2 of the season is now just Clickbait. We know it looks interesting but will be basically all part of about 2 episodes. Next couple of episodes will show Burnham walking the corridors in slow motion and rotating camera angles giving a 2-episode long monologue about hope and despair and the unfairness of duty and is she strong enough. And love (With flashes of Adira talking to Grey over comms and the computer tree). So.... May as well skip at least the first episode in Feb.

I mean, as usual, I will continue to watch it as I have never given up on a Trek series yet. The last couple of episodes were better than the rest but they are starting from a loooooooow point.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It was refreshing to see Stamets voice concerns about having an emotional AI run the ship. But it would have provided a bit more balance if he wasn't the lone voice of dissent. By having Stamets as the only one objecting the show frames him as having the "wrong" opinion - if just one other crew also voiced concerns (eg Reno) it would have balanced the argument better. Also as others have pointed out why the hell did Burnham get a vote in the council meeting? Her vote carries as much weight as the representative of an entire world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And let's face it, as the character is written, Reno WOULD have had a concern and probably a genuinely funny put down "Oh that's great, just what this ship needs. MORE emotion".

And Burnham got a vote because Burnham. I am actually surprised it wasn't a tie until she voted last. Looked into Brooks eyes, did that sigh/eye-roll thing she does and slowly raise her hand....

Advertisement