Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will an Order of £100 from Amazon.co.uk attract an extra customs charge?

Options
  • 03-01-2022 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I want to order apiece of electronics from Amazon.co.uk - I've avoided using them for the last 13 months and instead used amazon.de (curious how when you type amazon.ie it redirects to amazon.co.uk..)

My questions is if I order from Amazon.co.uk, when do customs click on? - I can see that my order will be rounded up to account for (higher) Irish VAT but if I proceed, can I expect another customs charge on delivery? - if thats the case, I'll continue to abandon using amazon.co.uk as costs will be too unpredictable

Many Thx!

😀

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Tech_Head

No, what you pay at checkout is the final cost.

Some third party sellers on Amazon don’t always get the labels right so you might get charged for customs BUT the Seller / Amazon will get it refunded for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

A Summary of Changes to online sales from the UK to Ireland from July 2021 .

There is no customs duty on any products made in the UK and delivered from the UK to Ireland or any other EU country.

Customs Duty may be charged on some categories of goods coming from the UK with a “country of origin*” outside the UK – but only IF the order is more than €150. (More details here on Customs Duty)

Orders with a value below €150 (before postage charges) will NOT be liable to Irish/EU customs duty regardless of the product’s country of origin *.

UK VAT should not be charged by retailers on any orders delivered to Ireland from the UK. However, Irish import VAT will apply to all orders from July 1st 2021 ( Prior to July there was no import VAT on orders under €22).

(More here on VAT free Orders Under €22)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Unfortunately I have never been successful in getting any of my customs back from orders from Amazon. Had a few 3rd party sellers where I got hit with customs (all from the UK).

We’ll all I can say is that is against Amazon policy.

if the seller doesn’t give the refund, CS will. You just need to do the following

1. Contact the seller to advise them you have been charged. Provide them with the cost and evidence that you have paid it
    2. The seller has 48hrs to respond
    3. if they don’t reply or refund the amount, contact Amazon CS. Either they will help you with the refund or advise you to open an A-Z claim.

It’s not often that I get charged customs but I’ve had refunds every time once I follow the above.

Amazon UK sent this just before Christmas to Irish customers.

Hello,

Ahead of the busy shopping period we wanted to provide you with some advice and guidance to make sure you get the most out of Amazon.co.uk as a customer in the Republic of Ireland.

-----------------------------------

Prime Benefits

As part of a Prime membership, customers in the Republic of Ireland can access unlimited Priority Delivery on eligible items, as well PrimeVideo, Prime Photos, Prime Reading, and other Prime benefits. See more information about the great range of Prime Benefits you can enjoy here: https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6V3LUCB9M6VNQAD

Delivery Information

Please ensure the name in your address includes your first and last name and doesn’t include any initials, numbers, or special characters (@, #, !).

Adding an Eircode to your Irish address also helps our delivery partners accurately identify your address, making the delivery of goods easier. Visit https://www.eircode.ie to find your Eircode.

You can edit your address during the checkout process, or at any time by visiting www.amazon.co.uk/addresses.

VAT & Duties Calculation

When shopping on Amazon.co.uk, all prices are shown inclusive of UK VAT before checkout but this is removed and updated with any Irish VAT and / or duties that are due when you proceed to checkout and select an Irish delivery address. Here are some common examples:

On orders less than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (Irish VAT due):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT, at the appropriate rate (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and you will instead see Irish VAT applied (e.g. 23%) once an Irish delivery address is selected.

- E.g. a cable with a price of €15.18 (including UK VAT), changes to €15.55 at checkout (€12.65 with UK VAT removed + €2.90 Irish VAT added).

On orders more than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (custom duties and taxes where applicable):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and once an Irish delivery address is selected

you will instead see 1) an item price which excludes VAT, and 2) an Import Fee Deposit which includes Irish VAT (23%), and any applicable duties (for some products no duties are applied).

- E.g. a ladies coat with a price of €200.92 (including UK VAT) changes to €230.65 at checkout (UK VAT is removed and replaced with Irish VAT and duties, which in this example would be €167.43 ex-VAT price + €63.22 Import Fee Deposit and Irish VAT).

On orders dispatched from Marketplace Sellers:

- The price of items which are dispatched from our Marketplace Sellers are inclusive of any applicable VAT and duties, and no further payment will be due. If for any reason you are charged additional costs (e.g., by customs authorities), in addition to the purchase price and delivery, you can contact the Seller to request a refund of these costs.

- Should the Seller not reply or resolve the issue for you, you are eligible to file an A-to-Z Guarantee claim with us to request a refund.

- For more information about our A-to-Z Guarantee, please visit https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQ37ZCNECJKTFYQV

Visit the Irish Revenue site for more information on how VAT and duties are applied: https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

We hope this helps and that we see you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department

Amazon.co.uk

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that can't accept incoming e-mail. Please don't reply to this message.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Great bargain, bought 10. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Always someone ruining it for the rest of us 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm guessing not everyone is aware of the online buying forum?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

@Tech_Head I got onto Amazon CS this morning and explained the above from the email. €50 on its way to back to me! Definitely a bargain alert for me! Thanks

Advertisement