Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC Round 9 - Connacht vs Munster - Saturday, Jan 1st @ 5.15pm - Premier Sports, TG4, URC TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stanley 1

Furthermore how many times does the ref have to tell Casey to "use it" before he actually does or the maul gets penalised, there does appear to be communication problems with Scannell, if the maul is going towards the touchline making it very difficult for Casey to find his OH, make the pack hit the deck and force the Opp to reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Apart from the Farrell card, I thought the ref had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

you can’t have it both ways; the SA teams were added to improve the quality

Yeah but they haven't. That's my point.

Their best team has won 2 from 5 games. They haven't improved the quality or made it more competitive at all. Just added 4 more sh*t teams.

Yet the URC is the league where the format makes a mockery of the integrity?

Yes because in the Premiership and Top 14, every team plays against the same teams the same number of times. That's fair.

The URC can't do a round robin format because they've added too many teams, there'd be a 30 game season before the playoffs which is too many, so instead of kicking out the South African and Italian dross who add nothing, they come up with the silly, overly complex, confusing for casual fans and unfair format we have.

surely having the club that’s won 4 of the last 7 being relegated for breaching salary cap participation rules (and another under investigation) is waaaay more damaging to a league’s image than a poor game between rusty sides in January. 

Eh yeah....not sure what you're point is there. I never said last nights game was more damaging than the Saracens thing. Odd.

And people seriously need to stop giving Munster a free pass and using rust as an excuse. They've played sh*t rugby all season apart from the Wasps game. As if anything is going to change next week. Leinster's first game of the season was a comprehensive win over the Bulls where they played great rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The SA teams have only played away games and one round of derbies at home. Nobody should write them off right now, particularly a team like the Sharks as they will be fully loaded with their Springboks for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Are they going to have any home games this season outside of the derbies?

• Advertisement

That's another problem. Barely ever seeing full strength teams during the regular season because of clashes with international windows.

We're into the new year and we haven't even seen the Saffa teams with the few Springboks they have yet. Some league. Top 14 and Premiership have stacked sides every week. And it makes for a higher quality more competitive league.

In the URC ,Munster rest their big names for a big interpro derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well then you were watching a completely different game to me. The breakdown was a complete and utter mess. As it is every game he referees.

Players get rested in the Top14 and Premiership too. It's just not as noticeable as internationals are spread more thinly in England and France. Dupont didn't play for Toulouse yesterday, he's played in 9 of 13 Top14 games this season and started in 7 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Crazy stat! Thats something you would expect from a kiwi against USA, just shows how dominant Connacht were. They need to convert pressure into points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's like people have completely forgotten about the disruption caused by covid. The season is 4 months old yet teams have played 5 to 8 games. And posters are willing to right off the competition, the format, the quality. Its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Leinster's first game of the season was a comprehensive win over the Bulls where they played great rugby.”

Ya. And then 2 games later, vs Dragons, you said Leinster could write off the season if Sexton got injured. Another example of an overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

People where writing it off before it ever started. The poster in question suggested a British and Irish league that will be never happen as a fix so I'm not sure if his suggestion is to just give up or what

Yeah and when Leinster played sh*te nobody made up excuses like rustiness. They were rightly criticised.

And I stand by my opinion that Leinster won't win Europe if Sexton gets injured, I don't think that's a controversial opinion at all. Thus making the season a write off because nobody really gives a fcuk about the URC.

Leinster could win the URC at a canter, but if they don't win the Heineken Cup it will be considered a poor season. We've won the URC every year for the last 4 years and people are saying Cullen and Lancaster have underachieved. That's the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I cannot believe that stat that Munster only passed the ball 45 times. Incredible. Can't be shot of this coaching team soon enough.

Speaking as a Leinster fan, I most certainly care about the league. You may not but I would say you’re in a small minority. Maybe saying nobody like you cares, would be more accurate.

I care about it in the sense that I'd rather win it than not win it.

But in terms of what makes a successful season for Leinster, the URC is inconsequential.

Perhaps I am in a minority, but I really couldn't give a toss about it.

Win Heineken Cup = Success

Don't win Heineken Cup = Failure

So we have only had 4 successful years in the last 25 or so. Sucks to be you.

No because in the last 25 we haven't always had the best squad in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

A ridiculously reductive (and dare I say, mildly entitled?) summary tbh.

Weren’t you saying just a few weeks ago after the Bath game that there’s not a chance in hell ye are 2nd favourites for the CC? How does that square with not winning it equalling failure??

Anyways, this has strayed ridiculously far off topic.

That’s ok because we don’t now either. If we did, misting Sexton wouldn’t have as large an impact as you believe it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hugely reductive and binary view of things!? On the internet. Well I never……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thought this was the connacht munster match thread not Leinsters definition of success

Why is there 263 posts on a match that got called off and never happened?

Just because Munster didn’t turn up, doesn’t mean the match didn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

shows the foolishness of awarding 28-0 shorelines for walkovers, as bad as Munster were connacht wouldnt have scored 28 points by now if they kept playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

The ref set the standards early on... Munster were killing the ball and living offside...

This is not slagging off Munster, they were testing the Ref and it showed he going to let the breakdown be a mess... This then escalated into defences having the upper hand...

He then kid of changed the rules when Connacht were on there line...

By the way for some asking why Connacht didn't get a second card... Connacht gave away 13 penalties (this includes 7 they gave in that period, which they got a yellow), 9 in their own half and 4 in the opposition... So out side that incident they gave away two penalties in there own half in the rest of the game...

Munster gave away 18 penalties including 11 in their own half...

So with those figures some here are asking why Connacht didn't get 2 yellow cards for persistent fouling and Munster get none?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

True enough, Munster wouldn't have scored any if Connacht weren't on the pitch to gift them a few.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Both teams very rusty, but Connacht at least came to play. Munster came to spoil and hopefully profit from Connacht errors, which they did very well, but how depressing is it to see a so-called top team show so little ambition?

I was at the game, so it was clear to see just how often Munster were offside at the breakdown. The ref and ARs were very lenient there. Munster linespeed in defence was very good, and having a head start from being offside just eliminated any space for Connacht to attack. It's my biggest bugbear with how the game was reffed. A lot of the Connacht handling errors could be put down to that. Fair play to Munster, they played the ref very well, but it made for a very turgid spectacle. I thought Carty could have tried a couple of chips over the defence early on, which might have kept them on their heels a bit more.

Delighted to get the win all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It's extremely annoying that refs ignore blatant offside anywhere else on the pitch but then when one team is 5m out offside becomes the most important thing in the world, they're checking hands are behind the line etc. And that's not specific to this game or Busby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Isn't it also just a case that its much easier to ref, the players are all concentrated in a small area and there is a very handy line there that can be used as a reference.

Advertisement