Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC Round 9 - Connacht vs Munster - Saturday, Jan 1st @ 5.15pm - Premier Sports, TG4, URC TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Coombes and casey have been locked up for weeks I think their rustyness is understandable I wouldn't be judging them off of today Coombes in particular was not himself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yea, coombes will benefit from game time alright.

Casey is a limited SH though what he does well he does very well but hes not going to get past murray anytime soon and we all know murray has aspects of his game that are lacking.

Ya I agree with you o casey he's an excellent bench option as he can add a lot of tempo late in game but he just lacks size. Doak is the future of the position I think. casey just lacks size. He was definitely a step off today though

Doak needs to get past cooney first and that wont be easy.

Every province has 2 very good SH’s currently, but i dont think there is much wrong with who the top 2 are.

Ya fair point and doak may or may not push on from where he is

• Advertisement

There is a game and a time for casey, and the munster game plan is neither. Hes a very good player who's attributes suit a team like leinster more than munster where they play with relentless tempo and ball in hand.

caseys box kicking isnt great, or at least its not near murrays, and munster have based a lot of their game on it because murray is so good at it and conway is a compliment to it.

Honestly I think we have the talent there for a better game plan. I hope the next coaching ticket is ambitious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think Casey’s exit box-kicking in our 22 has improved a lot. He put in one absolutely superb one 2nite. I think it’s his contestable kicking that could improve, and he also seems to occasionally kick one out on the full too.

He did start the season well tho, to the point it was the first time I thought he’d overtake Murray before seasons end. And the disruption of the last few weeks was bound to have an affect (tho this performance was so poor, it can’t all be down to that)., Hopefully with a bit more game time he’ll get back some form tho.

One offload is brutal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Both Blade and Marmion are better then Casey. Casey always has a nightmare against Connacht they always school him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

An awful lot of judgments being cast after one game here by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not sure if that should be more depressing for Munster fans or Connacht fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Hopefully that Delahunt incident at HT is given a bit of media spotlight and looked into a bit more; it's needless, seemingly unprovoked, and taints the image of the league and the teams involved.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It was a bit of handbags. JO'D (I think) gives him a little jostle at the beginning and Delahunt pushes him.

Delahunt and Healy were yellow carded. Proper order. Get on with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭TRC10

The league's image was tainted tonight for sure. But not by the handbags at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think he's saying it was a **** game to watch.

It was, but a poor game in a rugby competition hardly taints its image any more than the small bit of handbags at half time.

Overstating things from both sides, imo.

Not just the quality of the spectacle, but the general standard of rugby on show in a game between one of the supposed best teams in the competition with ambitions of winning it, and a team who will likely be in the playoffs. It was dreadful and very little rugby was played. AIL games are generally of a higher standard. I've watched some Top14 and Premiership this weekend, and honestly the chasm in quality is substantial. And also the standard of refereeing was brutal. A lot of people say that Connacht players get unfairly overlooked by Ireland coaches, and I think tonight proved that not to be true. And as for Munster, none of the team that played tonight can have any complaints if they aren't in the 6N squad.

For what was supposed to be a big interpro between two good teams, that game was a terrible advert for the URC. And honestly, if I was a Kiwi or Australian wanting to watch some NH rugby, the URC would be the last thing I watch.

Going off on a tangent here but the entire league is a joke and it's a serious hinderance for the national team. The fact that the English, French and a lot of the Welsh players are playing in a high quality, competitive league week in week out is a big advantage for them.

A British and Irish league would the an ideal scenario but I appreciate it's just a pipe dream.

Post edited by TRC10 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Those are very large conclusions on the basis of one game. As with someone saying the league is unbelievable after some Connacht Leinster classics, it’s more than a bit of a leap.

It's not on the basis of one game though.

The Italian and Welsh teams are crap and have been for a while. The South African teams have added absolutely nothing and most of the Springboks don't even play for them.

The format is also an utter pisstake, overly complicated, renders it utterly unfair and makes a mockery of the integrity of the league

The fact that they change the format and add new teams every few years does nothing for the status of the competition.

Look at the Premiership and Top 14 and how competitive they are in comparison. Bath have lost all 10 games they've played in the Premiership, but they'd be better than half of the teams in the URC. Only one team has won the URC/Pro14/Pro12 for each of the last 4 years.

Watch the highlights of some of the thrillers in the Premiership from last weekend, Bristol v Leicester, Quins v Northampton, Wasps v London Irish. Enthralling, intense games with real jeopardy and world class players. Compare that with the dross being served up by the URC. The league the provinces play in is one of the biggest problems Irish rugby has.

You seem to be forgetting the recent european results in your rant.

Connacht had a fine showing against the english league leaders and there was no gulf of class on display.

Cardiff brought players out of retirement, and played with amateurs in their side against the english champions and gave then a decent game.

Some of the permership teams know little about defending.

Thats not to say the URC doesnt have its problems. Your just overstating then after one bad game where rustiness and wind were factors.

“Thats not to say the URC doesnt have its problems. Your just overstating then after one bad game where rustiness and wind were factors.”

Completely agree tbh, Lawrence; it’s over the top, reactionary stuff, while idealising the Prem and Top 14.

And not one mention of Covid. Munster had 7 players in their starting 15 who hadn’t started a game in 9 weeks. How many in teams in the Prem or Top 14 could say that this weekend? That’s a genuine question, but I’m pretty sure the answer is not many. It’s pretty obvious why a cross-border competition is going to have more difficulties with Covid than a strictly domestic league.

Even more broadly, criticising the quality and structure of the league, then also saying the SA had added nothing? Firstly, you can’t have it both ways; the SA teams were added to improve the quality, and secondly, it completely overlooks the fact they haven’t played a single home game against a non-SA side yet.

Imagine the kicking the ProXX would’ve gotten if they didn’t have a winner in the 20/21 season.

Or even more obviously, surely having the club that’s won 4 of the last 7 being relegated for breaching salary cap participation rules (and another under investigation) is waaaay more damaging to a league’s image than a poor game between rusty sides in January. Yet the URC is the league where the format makes a mockery of the integrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

A poor game in general, although one pleasing aspect was to play munster type rugby for the last 10 minutes,

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Munster wanted to stop Connacht playing but Connacht still manage to beat them at their own game and won a game of "ugly footy" as Friend said. Connacht will be happy when the next team they play is Leicester.

URCs main issue is refs. How Farrell did not get a Red is baffling. Irish refs should in be involved in derby they seem to always favour the teams with the bigger rep. I Think the same ref did the first game handing munster the offside try. Irish refs are the worst in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Why?

Does Peter O’Mahony telling an opponent to fcuk off taint the image of the league or European Cup?

Munster players are not shy when it comes to mouthing off or getting involved in needless afters. If they put half as much effort into playing the game then maybe they wouldn't produce so much turgid crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Munster made 45 passes last night

Kieran Marmion had 85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Chris Farrell very lucky. Those have been reds several times for Big Papa (and very few arguments).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think you're way overblowing one poor game. It happens all the time, I regularly watch top 14 matches with behemoths fill of superstars like Toulouse and La Rochelle that turn out to be absolutely septic with a result something like 12-6.

Advertisement