Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New petrol vs. diesel prices

Options
  • 31-12-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why the price of new petrol cars are higher than the equivalent diesel? I would have expected to see the petrols cheaper due to higher fuel, worse economy and higher tax, plus the NOx extra on the diesel. Is it the engine making it more expensive due to manufacture cost or something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Diesel were traditionally more expensive but once tax and vrt was based on co2, diiesel cars became cheaper.

Of course they were then massively in favour - cheaper to buy, cheaper to tax and cheaper to run.

Diesel is now no longer the environmental choice and petrol hybrids and EV are more in favour and even though vrt and nox is tiny on those, they are still working out expensive.

At the end of the day its demand in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Diesel on the way out at the end of the day. Won't be sold by 2030 more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Petrol won't be sold beyond 2030 either if the lofty claims are to be believed so that's not the reason.

Some of the reasons I can think of why diesel cars might be cheaper now are that diesel has been demonised over the last few years as the devil's juice responsible for all the world's climate change problems so demand has dropped. Another reason is that since the pandemic people have changed their driving habits and many no longer do long commutes so petrol/hybrids and electric are more viable options that would not have been. So increased demand attracts higher prices.

Milk the suckers really. Look at the price of a battery car

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

Cheapest Octavia is a 110bhp 1.0tsi that's almost 3k less than the 116bhp 2.0tdi.

If you're doing low miles the diesel wouldn't suit so in this particular case the petrol is cheaper.

Equivalent is very subjective of course.

With wfh etc I reckon lots of diesels have rarely gotten to operating temp over the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The vRS is the opposite. Nearly 5k more for the petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Petrol RS was always dearer new than the diesel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Why is that though? Why would petrol, with all the additional costs over diesel be more expensive on day one? Pure gouging, or tax, or manufacturing costs?

The VW GTI is cheaper than the GTD. Which is the opposite of what Skoda do with the Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

I'd consider the golf GTD being priced prohibitively high TBH. The Octavia diesel is great value in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Probably because the petrol has a lot more power. I don't know the exact figures now but at one point you got 245 PS from a petrol one, but 184 from the diesel

• Advertisement
Advertisement