Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Octavia 1.9tdi won't start

• 01-01-2022 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi all, happy new year.

So 2022 is already a crappy year.

I have an 08 Octavia 1.9tdi. For awhile had a problem starting in that it was a lazy starter. It would take a few seconds for the starter to kick in. 2 days ago,it wouldn't start or crank at all. AA came out and said yep starter Is fired

So I managed to get a starter from a scrapyard and fit it myself. Happy days I thought, fired up everytime with a tip of the key.

Come this morning had to bring the missus to work. Turned the key, nothing. Had to push start it to get going.

Any ideas what it could be? Could there be a short somewhere that fried the starter? AA man said he tested for leakages and found all was good.

Or is it just bad luck with the 2nd hand starter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you stopped driving after the push start did that make any difference when you tried again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was thinking perhaps battery weakened if you had door and or lights on during the fitting process. Bad luck with the 2nd starter seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did you try the old tap with a hammer handle trick? Don't belt it like king Kong. It's looking like your new, not so new starter is dead. Check if there's power to the small solenoid wire when the key is turned to start while you're there.

Ye the battery is perfect unfortunately (I say unfortunately because if battery was knackered it's easier to change then the starter!)

I'm unsure now if I should bite the bullet and order a new one or try another 2nd hand

• Advertisement

Ye I tried giving it a few taps alright but no luck.

Do starters just stop working or do they usually give a sign they are going to go?

Edit: I will check aswell to make sure there's voltage at starter also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Make sure the electrical connections are all good.

Do the dash lights come on and die down when trying to start or what happens

If you still have the first starter you could see about getting it reconditioned, it probably only needs a set of brushes and bushes.

So went out again with the engine cold to see if it would make a difference. Nope still nothing.

So I gave it a few taps again. Turned the key and heard a click from the starter.

Tried this a few more times and it made a grinding noise.

So now it's fairly certain that it's the starter.

I had a look on mister auto for a starter.

Found a bolk one for €101 all in with priority delivery.

Price sound right and anyone know if these bolk starters are any use?

I've used bolk filters before and they were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Are you sure all the electrical connections the starter are good and tight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You could if you were comfortable doing so take a live from the battery direct to the the starter to see if it starts then.

Post edited by Car99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bolk would be poor enough stuff.

I'd try another breaker part or refurb.

Ye I got my battery jump start.

Hooked it up to one of the starters and didn't spin.

Hooked it up to the old starter and it spins but doesn't come out(think it's meant to pop out and spin judging by YouTube .) Tho that starter never spun when connected to the car.

Yep tested the voltage at each point and tested the voltage at the solenoid with the ignition on and it got 12v but starter doesn't move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

afaik 12v is a flat battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

12.65V at rest = fully charged afaik, so 12.0 (if it is reading 12.0) is not right.

Not your ornery onager

12V is grand especially in winter with a car doing short journeys. Many modern charging systems keep the battery at 80% and switch the alternator on and off to save fuel. Jumping from a donor vehicle would eliminate battery problems.

Post edited by CoBo55 on

Connecting directly to the starter side of the solenoid will spin the motor, you need power to the small solenoid terminal to energise the solenoid which brings out the pinion and then closes the main internal contacts joining both big terminals setting everything in motion. You could have a failed solenoid. Any chance of getting a swop from the breakers? Some of them can be decent enough and give you another starter to try, no harm in asking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

AHH stop, with 12 volts available it would make an effort to turn at least, anyway by your reasoning it should have started after getting a push and doing the journey. I bet the op just said 12V without being precise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Yeah they are supplied by Mister Auto. My experience of fitting a pair of their shocks to my car was poor. They were returned for a full refund because they sounded like (ahem) a skeleton pleasuring itself in a dustbin. Lead time on delivery too is a mixed bag and certainly wouldn't want to be stuck waiting either

OP, someone here suggested getting your original one repaired. That may be cheaper than the Bolk route. The fact you've had two die in quick succession prompts me to ask if there are any DMF issues with the car as a worn flywheel has been known to do in the starter.

Hi lads. So I should of took your advice about bolk. I needed the starter asap and bolk was the only product I could see that would be delivered here this week

So got it today,fitted it. Car started first tip of the key but a grinding noise was constantly on. To me it sounded like the starter was engaged as the engine was on.

So I tested at the solenoid to see if it was getting power with the car on, nope no voltage there. So I took it out and compared it to the old one and from what I can see the teeth are longer then the original starter motor.

bottom is new one.

Bit of a difference in length.

They should surely refund me since it doesn't fit my car right if this is a problem

I am not ordering online again.

So am I right in thinking if it's longer the starter will be constantly engaged?

Bring the old starter to a garage that deals with electrics.

My starter wasn't turning for around a month and I got it going with the tap of a hammer multiple times and they reconditioned the old one for 99 euro along with a 12 month warranty.

There very easy to recondition.

Advertisement