Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars to be fitted with speed limiters from July 2022.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's absolutely a huge issue. We saw two drivers with phones in hand on the M50 this evening. On every cycle journey, I see multiple drivers texting, chatting, video chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Possibly. Not that it would be necessary at least in the form that they are proposing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I fully agree that it's a big problem - I see it all the time.

But, if that many drivers are actively on the phone, and it's as dangerous as we're told - where are all the crashes as a result of being on the phone?

I'm not try to be a smart arse by the way. What I'm saying is that it's very difficult to get people to follow the rules (phones and speeding) when 99.99% of the time they do it - they get away with it.

That 0.01% of the time, the consequences are severe, a collision or fatality. Managing that message, and getting the public on board with more rules is extremely difficult due to human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't be cycling on the M50 Andrew, it's asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The future is boring, I remember when it used to be exciting but ironically the utopian technophiles have ruined it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In July 2022 any new car sold in the EU will have to have driver inattentiveness or distraction alerts. Basically if you're on a smartphone or drowsy the car will annoy you until you stop. There will also be data recorders which will record the alerts given to the driver

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_19_1793

The new 'Black box' will keep a log of any updates done to the ECU. People will try to disable the safety features but won't get away with it as easily as they can now

Nothing more exciting than the risk of a head on collision because some aresehole is trying to overtake 6 cars in a row because he thinks he's driving the batmobile instead of a BMW 3 series

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

What village has 120kmh signs going into it, or am I picking you up wrong

• Advertisement

I don’t know why people have an issue with this?

You’re simply being prevented from doing something that you weren’t allowed to do in the first place, ie, speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Agreed some people do some idiotic overtaking moves and some people for instance drive along bumper to bumper like a train at 60kph on an 80km road safely but they shouldn't drive bumper to bumper if they have no intention of overtaking they should leave space in front of them for cars to overtake them and pull in safely. Everyone can contribute to safer roads even those who drive reasonably and carefully without crazy overtaking .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

We should all also drive Volvo SUVs, they are the safest cars and obviously even safer with speed limiters

The XC60 is Volvo’s middle-sized SUV, and with Volvo’s decades-old reputation for safety, it’s no surprise to see it score highly. With a spectacular 98% score for adult safety, and 87% for child safety, it’s one of the safest machines you can buy and comes with loads of state-of-the-art safety equipment across the range.

^^^ if it weren't supporting a Chinese company I'd have some sympathy for your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Should political views overshadow safety?

Isn't it better to be alive and able to hold such views than dead because of them?

My 2013 car had Attention Assist. While it didn't even used a camera monitoring system like many new variants do, it was uncanny in recognising when I was tired. It would even sometimes tell me to pay more attention when I was on a handsfree call. It monitored everything you did including steering wheel movement to build up a picture of you as a drive, and if you deviated from that it would alert.

I had a 2008 Volvo (released in 2004) which would store all of your driving telemetry, even including radio volume, which could be accessed with a warrant after a serious collision.

Despite what backstreet car mappers tell you, a modified map will be immediately obvious to the manufacturer should they be requested by the Gardai to check the engine ECU.

IMO none of that is new for European car manufacturer, it's just now being legislatied for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What an exciting world that would be...

Jesus. I really shake my head when I wonder at the paranoid fearful worlds some people live in. I've been driving for over three decades and it's quite amazing how I'm not dead yet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

With the bigger picture I HAVE safety in mind.

But, if you really want safe cars here you go...

Here Are The Safest Cars In The World Right Now

1. 1 Genesis G70 (2020-22) Via CarPixel.
    2. 2 Lincoln Aviator (2022) Via Lincoln. ...
    3. 3 Hyundai Veloster Turbo-R (2019-21) Via Hyundai Media. ...
    4. 4 Dodge RAM 1500 (2019-21) Via NetCarshow. ...
    5. 5 Tesla Model 3. Via: Reddit. ...
    6. 6 BMW 3-Series G20 (2019-22) ...
    7. 7 Kia Stinger GT (2021/22) ...
    8. 8 Audi Q8 (2021

Let us know when you've bought one of the above Spook.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Boy racers will become an endangered species.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Few enough "boy racers" buy new cars so I don't see how this legislation will affect them for the moment anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

You are going about not wanting a nanny state in a previous thread when it relating to smoking ….yet want one when it comes to driving cars ….you apply logic when it suits u it seems

Because reckless speed affects everyone else, especially vulnerable road users.

Smoking (directly) only affects the consumer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you would have to ask why, if as claimed, the XC60 is safer than the S60? do they not both come with the same safety features? the S60 in theory should have a slightly lower rollover risk i suspect.

one of the reasons the XC90 is so 'safe' i suspect is that another normal car hitting that would be like a seagull flying into the main windscreen of a cargo ship. it's a brute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this also plays into the issue where it's easy in a facile sense for some people to claim 'excessive speed was a cause in only 20% of collisions' (not sure what the actual figure is), and in a technical sense, this may be correct. but it obscures speed as being a proximate rather than ultimate cause - where the collision may not have been caused by someone speeding, but speed has made the collision either unavoidable or more serious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Single and double decker buses with standing passengers are restricted to 65Km/h.

Sounds reasonable to me - if I was standing, I would hate to be fired down the bus if it had to stop suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Economics101

A big problem is that speed limits on Irish roads are (in my experience) not well-related to road conditions. I know of N-roads where the limit should be 80, not 100, and R-roads where the opposite is true. Another example is (or was?) the Kilkenny bypass which is single carriageway with frequent roundabouts and 100kph mostly, whereas Waterford ring road is mostly dual carriageway and some long distances between junctions and is or was 60 or 80 kph. Crazy stuff.

Limits can be altered by local authorities, who appear to differ in their approach. Add to this the general incompetence of most local authority road engineering..

Safe driving is largely about adjusting speed to the prevailing road conditions. It would help if the limits were better related to these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The number of fatal accidents principally caused by speeding is very low . West Midlands Police in the UK found that less than 2% of accidents were caused by excessive speed. Where causes of accidents are compiled, speeding is something like fifth on the list and is relatively insignificant.

With the exception of say understeer or oversteer on a corner, almost everything else has another "principal cause" than speed.

I think speed cameras are far less effective in reducing deaths and serious injuries than other methods of enforcement (Gardai), but of course slowing down will reduce the severity or allow you to stop in time for another idiot.

If I drove anywhere close to the speed limit for many of my journies, I'd be dead within a week. We need a much more holistic approach to read safety than speed alone.

Rightly or wrongly, I firmly believe that most (not all) drivers who cause fatal collisions have had it coming for a very long time, and were finally caught out.

Safest for who? Those on the inside or those on the outside?

• Advertisement

Where are all the crashes?

Most people are lucky most of the time. But the stakes are a bit too high to rely on being lucky.

AGE don't routinely investigate phone use at crashes, in the way they check for alcohol levels. This policy needs to change.

Advertisement