Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bible stories as mythology for kids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,830 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The bible is not the history of western civilisation 🙄, it's a (laughably dubious) set of stories involving a small group of people in Egypt and Judea.

Anyway you needn't worry, even if your kids are among the lucky few going to an ET they'll still be well familiar with the usual nativity, flood etc. biblical stories.

Although how a wrathful god exterminating almost all human and animal life because he was in a huff, leaving a single family to repopulate the globe via incest, became an acceptable story to tell to little kids in school, I'll never know...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Doesn't exactly match with what the op was saying.

"but want to introduce them to biblical stories and references so that they are well oriented in the history of western civilization."

If OP wants to discuss the influence of Christianity on western civilisation then great, but that's not happy clappy bible stories it's centuries of religious war, persecution, pogroms, crusades, Inquisition, genocide, etc.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dawkins book 'the magic of our reality'isn't age appropriate for your kids OP but it has whole sections on origins of myths and religious stories. Might be good inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got this for my son and he thoroughly enjoys it. Stories are short enough to keep his interest and the graphics are high quality

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0736962131?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The Bible has most certainly impacted on Western Civilisation. Indeed it is impossible to even begin to comprehend medieval Europe without a working knowledge of the Bible as so much of societal, cultural, and legal mores were based on it.

As a rough guide the years 700 to 1700 are drenched in Biblical beliefs.

Indeed but the point I was trying to make is that it's laughable to equate the influence of Christianity on Western civilisation with ark-and-rainbow stories for kids.

Life ain't always empty.

What a pedant. I’m currently reading the ghost stories of MR James. James is considered one of the fathers of the modern ghost story. The stories are fun but I wouldn’t fancy reading many of them without at least some knowledge of the Bible. I wouldn’t want my children not understanding who Michelangelo’s statue of David represents, either. Don’t take everything so literally.

Put it this way: I want them to be able to understand the subtext that underscores much of the best literature, music, and art, as well as the cultural, social and political history of Europe and its offshoots.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

You would prefer full on lectures? With slides?

You are being unnecessarily brusque so with MOD hat on I will ask you to dial down your indignation and if you have nothing constructive to add best to keep your opinion of the OP's intentions to yourself.

The OP came here to ask a question, not be lectured.

I should add that knowledge of the Quran helps when looking at the tortured history of the Iberian Peninsula, and the 400 year long conflict between the Hapburgs and the Ottoman Empire. To understand why people acted as they did it is important to know what they believed.

As for the Reformation - a seismic event in European history that was completely based in conflicting interpretations of Biblical texts. Early Modern Europe was shaped by the Reformation, the Age of Reason would have been impossible without it which in turns means the Enlightenment would not have happened. Not to mention no religious refugees seeing off in the Mayflower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement