Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace issue

Options
  • 27-12-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We have this massive awkwardly shaped fireplace in our sitting room.

Any ideas how to design/fill

the space on both sides of it or even if it is a good idea to paint it some colour instead of leaving it brick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Adja. I assume that the handyman (bricklayer) did this silly design, and he wanted to get the job finished, get paid and be gone faster than a rocket.

This is the reason that laypersons should never allow a Craftsperson carry out Surprise designs, and should ensure that they see Drawings and or photos of what their end product will look like, before letting them loose in your house

The brickwork is done to a very poor incompetent standard. What in heavens name was the Moran thinking about Putting in the Steps.

My advice is - do not paint it under any circumstances at present, because it will will look exactly the same except in a different colour.

If you paint it, then you remove the possibility of ever Plastering the fireplace/ shaft OR fixing tiles or marble to it.

My suggestion is that you should hire a Qualified Competent mature Plasterer, get him to fill in all the steps, and straighten the 2 splayed shoulders. And plaster the front and sides in Cement Mortar (cement and sand) in 2 coats, and finish the surface in a float finish. If this gets stained with smoke, you can paint it whenever you want to freshen it up.

You could also fit Tiles or Marble to the shaft.

Do not allowed the shaft to be dri-lined with plasterboard slabs because there is a danger of Carbon-monoxide being transferred from the 🔥 to upper rooms behind the slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Adja

C.Eastwood your idea seems to be okay.unfortunatelly we don't want to be messing with the shape of the fireplace. Just trying to make it work the way it is and fill in the empty space on each side.But thank you for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

actually quite like it. kind of adds character. take off the old wallpaper though a nice light paint to contrast the brick would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is an original fireplace, so very unlikely to have been made up on the fly by a handyman.

Your suggesting to render it in mortar isn’t a good one. That’s a very low quality finish that I’d expect in a shed of cheaply built house.

OP how you finish it depend on the look you want. Square off the shoulders, build the breast out to the ceiling, skipped as above suggestion (would look worse imo).

I don’t mind the brick, but it doesn’t site well with the wall behind. Look at the whole lot. Whitewash brick can take the rustic look off the red brick.

Maybe at look at some brick and non-brick fireplaces and see which you like and get an idea of what you are trying to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 MuttonDagger

You should render it and make it into a Pizza oven.

Advertisement