Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Paid 20K "Fire Levy", What Now?

Options
  • 30-12-2021 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So after over a year of back and forth with the management company & developers all the owners in my building agreed to pay 20k each to make every unit "Fireproof" so any fires are contained within each individual unit.

Does anyone have any experience as to how disruptive these works are? The surveying company has been very vague so far.

They mentioned 8 months total construction for all 70 units and "10 days of moderate disruption".

I can't imagine something as intensive as making an apartment fireproof (especially when I am the middle of two apartments) is just moderate disruption while we are working from home.

Do they come in and rip out the walls and put in materials? I have zero knowledge of what's actually involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Is the building concrete? Would imagine it's just a case of filling in any ducting/pipe gaps with foam. If there's no partitioning in the attic spaces then that would have to be constructed. Fire doors etc.. ripping down walls shouldn't be required. 1.4m for fireproofing seems steep but anything construction related is mental at the moment.

TBH building should only need to comply with regulations in force at the time it was constructed so I think its unlikely such a costly retrofit is really required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SG250

They keep using the word "defect" so I am assuming that the construction wasn't even up to standard at the time of the original construction.

The floors are concrete but the walls seem pretty hollow if I tap them. Not that solid 0 echo sound you get when slapping a piece of concrete.

Advertisement