Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commercial Vehicles, do you have to be VAT Registered??

• 26-12-2021 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

I was just about to purchase a van and I've been told i must be VAT registered to purchase a van, I carry tools for my job i need to buy timber etc etc but I'm not vat registered.

I've heard people say its not the case and I've heard people say it is the case.

What about sole traders??

The dealer here in Waterford told me its rubbish but i don't want to buy a van and realise i have a problem!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No problem purchasing a van but taxing it commercially is a bit complicated.

Check the website of the local authority where you will be taxing the vehicle.

There will be a list of documentation required, if you can supply that documentation you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Rustyman101

Also if you are taxing privately you will have a bit of a search for insurance cover, for some reason they don't like taxing vans for private individuals, no bother commercial.

AFAIK you need a VAT number to tax commercial, the stupid questions I got asked when insuring was unreal !

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Rustyman101

Another thing even if you tax private you will still need a test every year, its a light vehicle test done in the likes of sheridans not the NCT centre, Again no big deal, age doesn't matter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

If you need a van for your job, you get a letter from your employer stating so, and you give that with all the rest of our documentation when taxing the van commercially; you can tax it online once you've taxed it in person the first time.

If you are a sole trader, you just use your PPS number when taxing it, as not all sole traders are vat registered, so won't have a VAT number.

Your local motor tax office will give you a checklist of everything you need (rf form, goods only declaration form, insurance cert, cover letter from your employer, etc).

I'm not vat registered, but use my van for work, and this is how I've taxed 4 vans in the last decade, with no issues.

Commercial van policies from the likes of insuremyvan.ie are fairly straightforward, you can mirror you ncb off your car (if you have one), and cover you for work and social/domestic driving.

Advertisement