Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a car - Nothing but time wasters

Options
  • 28-12-2021 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

I’m selling a car at the moment. It’s around the 1k mark, has near a year NCT on it, running perfectly with plenty left in it.

Getting nothing but texts asking one or 2 questions like do I still have it and any issues then plenty just leave it at that. Why do people even bother?

Had one lad come to look at it, was fairly technical and went over the car inch by inch for an hour and was happy but wants to get his mechanic to look at in a few days, after looking to see if a bolt has been replaced. Bit of a rant maybe but can’t understand where people are coming from

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,137 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The joys of dealing with joe public, they tend to have more spare time than actual money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Ye, it’s even cost next to nothing. Done Deal is what I’d imagine tinder to be like, get excited about a match, you get a mundane message, respond and never hear from them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The problem with a 1K car is that the actual price can double or triple fairly quickly. If the motor tax is out it could be a few hundred euro, a new set of tyres could be another grand. For 1K how full the petrol tank is even relevant.

I was looking for a cheap yoke there a while ago and sent about 10 messages to different people with various questions on relevant points that weren't covered on their ad.

Stick the ad up and give us a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

I had a 318i for sale for around €1k a few weeks ago and based on advice I seen on another thread I put it on Adverts rather than DoneDeal as you can see the feedback and history on the persons who contact you and they don’t have your number unless you give it to them.

I had one person make an offer subject to inspection and based on his positive feedback I agreed - met him later that day and after a 15 minute inspection he paid the agreed price and was on his way. I may have just been lucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was selling a cheap car there in the autumn. My heart was broken with Joe Public.

the cheaper stuff attracts the worst people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It’s a 1k car. WTF do buyers expect...

Ad should contain the text : “No questions will be answered. Arrive with cash and the car is your’s. I’ll give you fifty quid back for petrol and delete your number, and best of luck with it.”.

job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Pretty much this. Cheaper the car, the more hassle it is to sell.

I say this but I've bought my last 6 cars with only a quick look over and all sub 3000. I just accept there'll be things to sort at that price and I avoid donedeal like the plague to buy or sell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

€1k is a lot of money for some people and they need a car with a bit of reliability. Your post seems to indicate that they should accept any old crap for €1k. Some of the cars in this range can turn into an absolute money pit. You can't blame people for wanting to avoid this. Tax for example can be 5 or 6 hundred euro and is often not even mentioned on the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,137 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He makes a valid point. 1k might be a lot of money for some people but in terms of cars it's not and certainly doesn't guarantee you any sort of reliability. Cheap cars can be close to end of life and come with a gamble that a hefty repair bill around the corner makes them uneconomical to repair. In this instance you drive it until the NCT runs out and then replace it with another car. That is how cheap car ownership works, there are no guarantees. Regarding tax, buyer should be researching this if it's an important factor for them, they should not be reliant on a seller telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

How much would you expect to spend on a car with some level of reliability and length of usage without having to visit a repair man just a rough guide or estimate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You got extremely lucky.

From past experience selling, Adverts is even more populated with tyrekickers and timewasters than Donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I just put the phone down if someone asks me something clearly shown in the ad. Best to use a burner SIM too.

Cheek of them. They should hand your cash over promptly. You deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Last car I got rid of in that value bracket, i just gave it to an auction house and they gave me a cheque for €750 without even looking at the car.

I had already switched my insurance so it would have been a major hassle trying to sell privately.

Might have got €1,250 at a push, but not worth the time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

My daughter sold a car for 1000 to a lovely Moldovan lad about a month ago. There was a few dodgy phone calls from others before that.

€500 is more than 2 weeks money for some people. This is why they may ask a few questions about a car.

You are in a lucky position where €500 is not worth your time and effort but you have to understand that not everyone is in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

People are off work the last week or so n sitting at home bored. No pub etc to go to so flicking through done deal instead.

I was selling a perfectly fine mobile home last year for small money and I was losing the will to live dealing with eejits!

Patience is it required at the best of times with done deal. Stick it up on Facebook too , someone's yoke might have gone bang recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Theres 2 subforums here, one for bangernomics and the other where boardises cars are for sale, why not stick it up there and see how you get on?

If it's any consolation I'm trying to sell a €3k car on done deal and have had loads of time wasters. 14 different people messaged me via dd, some with that stupid automated message and others saying €1500 cash tomorrow. 2 people I arranged to meet and they cancelled at the last minute, one when I was on the way to meet them, the other I rang twice to check he was coming and his mother answered and said - 'I'll ring you back' .. twice!

• Advertisement

Is the price too high then? If it was a good car at a good price I would expect to see it attracting a bit of attention. Post the ad and give us a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Plot twist, there is no car for sale.

When I was ringing around dealers none of them wanted to trade it in because of its age but I was advised to put it on dd for 3 grand and it would sell. I am willing to take less as it does need work and the NCT is almost up but I'm not going to entertain offers of half the asking price. If you agree to a price over text they will then turn up and try to get the price down further.

Lots of people bored over the Xmas holidays is the problem. I had agreed to take less for the 2 guys who cancelled so the price isn't the problem.

Post the ad then?

€3k for a car that may or may not pass an NCT and needs work is targeting a very low number of people as you will need to be fairly handy so if you are not in that demographic you would need the particulars of exactly the scope of the issues so you could price them to be fixed.

You see ads all the time saying NO NCT BUT WILL FLY THROUGH. Those are cars I would avoid like the plague. If it will pass then put it through and then we can talk.

The car won't pass an NCT with the faults it has, but this has been explained to anyone that rang. The car doesn't belong to me I'm helping someone else sell it. They have no interest in getting it through an NCT . It's also 60 miles away which means arranging viewings requires a bit of planning, hence the reason its annoying when idiots cancel at the last minute or get their mother to answer the phone because they've changed their mind.

Fair enough a car needing work is worth less, but I'm sure there are still people out there looking for fixer upper stuff.

The car will sell, it's just a bad time of year and need to weed out the time wasters

So do you have in your ad that there is no chance that it will pass NCT and needs someone who knows their cars and can fix them and can also arrange a truck for collection? That would cut out any time wasters No? Or do you wait for someone to call before telling them this? If the latter then it is you who is the time waster my friend.

Post the ad and we can let you know what we think

I think you are just looking for a row at this stage This is not my thread, I'm not posting the ad and I didn't ask for help to sell the car.

Post away but your posts will be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

It works 2 ways. We just bought a 07 fiesta for my young lad. Looked at plenty of different ones and visited buyers of 4 of them before finally getting the low mileage with long NCT one. Some from small dealers although I think everyone is a dealer now. We had to spend 2.5k to get a decent one.

The cars is in great nic on one ad. It needed scrapping.

Just had her NCT’d. Nope, not done at all, waiting for an offer first when we arrived.

One with a fake NCT which we found via online check on NCT site.

Running great. Rough as ****.

Photos on donedeal looked good. Arrive to find different tyres and wheels. Body was shocking. I know it’s an 07 but filler everywhere and damp in the boot to the point that the Seat latches had rusted.

just had her serviced. Oil filter rusted solid never changed. Oil not much better.

loads with Chinese triangle tyres.

For every tyre kicker buying, there is a chancer selling.

That is the point. People giving out that they are being asked questions when they are selling shitboxes that are good for the scrap yard and looking down on people for who €1, 2 and 3 K is a lot of money.

As one person said here

WTF do buyers expect

The arrogance of some of the sellers. I hope none of them ever fall on hard times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

In fairness, the other poster is right, you're asking 3k for a car that is not functional to pass an NCT, you say it has faults (plural) which it wont pass with, the actual owner is NOT interested in doing the work??? You're bothered because of the distance for a car that isn't yours, but you say you explain that it wont pass the NCT without certain work, but on the phone, personally, I avoid those ads, but if I got that information on the phone when it should be in the advert, I'd hang up, not even worth wasting giving out, you have wasted a callers time doing this (I'm not attacking you), I'm astonished you are oblivious to this??

You make a car as saleable as possible, put all the information in the ad, and then if it suits people they will call, especially if you know what the fault is, that mean a buyer might know what it is and how to fix it. If you are not putting the ad up, can you say what the car type is, 3k sounds like a lot for a car without an NCT, maybe its newer than Im thinking. Problem is, for someone buying, they dont know if thats 3k plus another 1 or 1.5 to fix. 1500 would be better than nothing, what are comparable cars of year/type going for?

I know someone who was selling a car, I suggested they get the NCT just to see what it would fail on so they could show that along with it highlights what it passes on, they wouldn't pay out for the NCT, granted, they would only get another 250 for the car, instead they had to tow it to be scrapped. It may have even passed the NCT had they attempted as it was running. Buyer needs to know it's going to run for sometime or whats wrong, yours or others like it may never run or pass an NCT.

Advertisement