Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nio ET5

• 29-12-2021 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Launching in China in Q3'22 and in Q1'23 in Europe. Base model has 75kWh usable battery. High spec and AWD as standard, so basically a Tesla Model 3 AWD LR competitor for roughly the price of a base Tesla Model 3 short range RWD. Make no mistake, this is not some crappy piece of Chinese electronics, this will be a very good and very well made car. Incumbent European, Japanese, US and even Korean car manufacturers: up your game or most of us will be buying Chinese cars within 10 years...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Talk about a Model 3 clone and sure the Model 3 MIC now anyhow. Would love that 150kWh battery pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Agreed. The Chinese are so far ahead of eu car makers in ev development. It's a mature market in rapid growth now pushing 4th gen tech. The next step after local markets and Norway is to expand globally. This is one of several Chinese brands that are trending globally and a leader that will help reshape the car market.

The eu car market needs a massive kick and some deregulation and streamlining to have a hope of surviving the oncoming tsunami. My feeling is several main brands are already bankrupt and dead as they are carrying too much debt, made too little change and believe they are to big to fail.

Tesla and the top 6 Chinese makes and possibly the top 10 or 20 Chinese ev brands are building better and faster with strategic long term goals to dominate.

They must be laughing as vw worker unions fights against ev development because some jobs will be list. With that attitude vw will be nothing just a novelty badge on x Peng's CEOs desk as a reminder of how not to innovate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This is on show in the UK this week at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Set to be launching there "early 2024". Scored 5 starving the ncap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Audi are already struggling and needing a chinese Partner to get EVs to market......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see this and another Nio model both got top marks for safety from Euro NCAP yesterday.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Comparison here between Tesla Y and Nio ET7

The Battery swap on the Nio took about 8 minutes

For me personally I don't think battery swaps are worth the extra money over DC charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I just watched a video of the Nio battery swap. Just 7 minutes and they drove off with a 90% charge.

Details are a bit lose, but these guys seem to guess that you can either own the battery and not swap, or choose to rent it and pay a fee that covers swaps and charging for X number if kw a month.

Pretty cool to see it in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's actually not new battery swaps. There was a Taxi company in the UK that did this over 100 years ago believe or not.

I will try to find the article on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

The ET5 estate looks good, would definitely be interested. Any idea when/if they're coming to Ireland?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nio/358663/electric-car-battery-swapping-inside-nios-game-changing-tech

Looking around the pricing seems to be with and without buying the battery and for leasing the shorter range one at an estimated €146 a month means you'd have paid for it in about 5 years. If the infrastructure was available I'd be interested in the battery leasing model provided I could lease a long range battery when needed and pay for that. Given the possible degredation of batteries over time I'd like to think that the netowrk would be maintained.

An interesting proposition, the ET5 looks lovely too.

Advertisement