Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane Shed experiences concrete base

Options
  • 27-12-2021 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I am due a delivery of a shed in a few months from clane steel sheds and wondering if anyone has any experiences of them regards not putting in a concrete base? The shed is 4m x 3m and they have said it can be laid down without a concrete base. They use paving slabs I believe to secure the frame to and then ply out the floor. I have had different people tell me different things about what should be done here. I got one price for a base to be put in at circa €1200 but haven't shopped around. Obviously it would be a great saving if I could get away without having it put in but curious about other peoples experiences. Many thanks.

Post edited by wolfyboy555 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Wolfyboy555, I organised a shed for a friend in 2020, and the shed company gave me the name of a builder that they use and recommended him.

The builder was very good and had his own building regulations for sheds, which I thought was alright.

He cleaned the area for the 7 m x 5 m shed, fitted 100 x 50 mm timber Formwork and pored a concrete foundation with some mesh reinforcement.

Under the floor area of the shed he put in 100 mm limestone 40 mm-down hardcore and compacted it with a plate compactor.

See photos.

Everything was level and square and well done in accordance with the specification by the Shed Company.

The shed was delivered, and erected and bolted on to the foundation on top of a DPC.

The builder returned, removed the formwork fitted a sheet of polythene (DPM), which travelled up all 4 sides of the metal shed. On top of this he fitted 50 mm high-density insulation with foil on both sides and poured 70 mm concrete on top of the insulation, and finished the concrete floor with a timber float.

We cut off the DPM 25 mm above the floor.

The builder made a super job of the foundation and floor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any after pics?

Yes but not on my phone. I will have to get them off my work computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My dad has two metal 4m x3m sheds in the garden for about 10 years now.

We just put them on blocks and plywood on the floors. They are still as good as the day they were put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Looks like a good job to be fair. Where was that builder based? What price did that come in at?

Good to know. I am leading towards just getting it put on blocks tbh.

• Advertisement

Correction. The shed is 3 m x 7 m. (Not 5x7)

The builder of the foundation and floor charged €1,500 + VAT. The finished floor is insulated and completely Damp proofed. It was a very profe

It was the Munster area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Meant to say too that we put plastic membrane to stop the grass and plants growing up under it too.

Just had a look under it the other day. Loads of leaves after blowing in over the 10 years or so, but still plenty of gap there. Plywood on the floor is in great condition still.

If I were doing it again I would go for this raised one again. Much, much cheaper than a concrete floor. Now if you are storing really heady stuff in it then thats a different story. Like a tractor mower. I would have a concrete floor for the likes of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Shed is coming Friday after ordering last August. Some wait! Did you just put the plastic membrane underneath the blocks then Jimmy or on top of blocks? Would something like this suffice?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-damp-proof-membrane-black-1000ga-3-x-4m/50464

Advertisement