Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panel beating cost

• 26-12-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I backed into a family members car yesterday . Its a 2018 Ford focus. I damaged the panel over the tire. Don't have pics as didn't think of take any. Will pay whatever it costs to repair but just wondering if anyone has any idea of rhe cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Panel about €200. About the same again up to €300 for a good spray job and installed if no mounts or trims are damaged would be my guess. That's assuming front end of car. If its a rear quarter panel it will be more. Happy Christmas how are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

So around 500 in total then? It was the rear of the car though! So could be slightly more! Thanks.

I also damaged my bumper so will have to get that tapped out. Luckily my car is a rav 4 and it just has the big plastic bumper so I'm assuming it should be failry straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

That would be my estimate but I am down the country and generally in rural areas jobs are cheaper to get done.

The plastic bumper can be either very cheap or very expensive. I can never guess by looking on the likes of those.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Impossible to say without photos.

If the wheel arch is all out of shape and needs a new quarter panel it will be major money and then owner might insist on whole side of car being resprayed to match. It's an 18 car so if it was mine I'd be wanting everything A1.

• Advertisement

And fair enough if they do. It's totally my fault so it'll cost what it costs. Just was looking at an idea of what it would be. Will see in the new year I'm sure. They are going to bring it in and let me know. I'll pay for it once its done

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If there's parking sensors on your bumper it can dramatically jump the price to fix.

None on mine! Although they would have saved me all this hassle if I had of had them!

I'm not doubting you but an awful lot of people say they are happy to pay but when the quote comes back for 3.5k, the **** hits the fan.

Well hopefully it wont be that! But if it is I'll have to claim on my insurance!

• Advertisement

I feel awful about it but my dad used to say if money can fix it its never too bad! And after the year I've had this year it's definitely very tru!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Does the owner of the vehicle you hit have insurance cover? I am presuming yes, so they should first get a quotation for the repair and then decide whether to claim against their own insurance or not. Judging by your description of the damage the cost could be around the thousand euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why would they claim against their own insurance when they weren't at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Why would they claim of their own insurance? They did nothing wrong.

They should be claiming against the ops insurance. That is what it is there for for god sake.

Remember, there are two vehicles involved here. The question of blame or who is at fault arises. Both parties, if comprehensively insured, would be entitled to claim against either their own or the other party's policy. That's the legal position in situations like this where there more than one vehicle involved. A completely different scenario would be, say, if I reversed my car into a concrete barrier in a multi-story car park. That would be a single vehicle incident so I would claim against my own insurance policy, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Remember the OP said " I backed into a family members car" . I think fault has been decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tom573

I would hardly recommend anybody going to insurance companies over such a relatively small incident, if it can be worked out between the parties, otherwise it could cost a lot more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reads like one vehicle was stationary. Or, playing the part of the pillar, if you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think your making this situation out to be more complicated than it actually is. The OP hit a stationary vehicle.

Ah for god's sake. Is he going to cause ww3 and tell the family member claim it on their own insurance? Ffs.

• Advertisement

Can you explain why it might cost more by making an insurance claim rather than paying from your own pocket? I would have thought the opposite would be the case. We have not seen photographs of the damage caused in this instance but we all know what can appear to be insignificant damage often ends up being very expensive to fix. I am talking in the range of seven hundred euro and far upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Never involve insurance if it can be avoided, they will get you either in loss of no claims or rise in premiums. Garages will charge triple to the insurance company, that's how it is. It does depend on the age of the car and paint finish as well of course, a 2020 5 series or E Class in pearlescent paint is going to cost a lot more than an 08 Focus and will require a more serious level of repair as well.

First off find a local panel beater and get a quote. Then find another to be sure they aren't fleecing you. The game is full of sharks sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP doesn't get to decide where the other person's car is repaired if the OP is at fault. The OP can get all the quotes they like but the other person decides who repairs their own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

"The game is full of sharks"

The lord jaysis...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

Get a quote from several panel beaters, and then decide if you want to pay yourself, or use your own insurance to cover the costs.

The damaged party (the car owner) decide who repairs the car. Nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

I never understand this talk about not claiming off your own insurance 'as it will cost you in the long run'. Herself hit one of the barriers beside a fuel pump in a station and it was costing ~€3000 to repair. Had all the know it all's in the family telling us to pay it ourselves but I ignored them. Insurance went up by €150 the next year, was back to same following year and it's been lower every year since.

I do have a protected NCD with stepback, so NCD went to 60% after the claim for one year and then back to 75%.

I would say thanks though to all the eejits who never claim from their insurance even though they're paying for it.... as I guess it keeps all the rest of ours down a little ;)

Okay first off I was at fault. Without a doubt, I backed into a stationary car! So there's mo doubting liability! No dispute from me there. When they get a quote I will decide what to do. Depending on the quote I will decide to claim from my insurance or pay it out of my own pocket! I would have taken the car and gotten it repaired locally next week but my family member want to take it themselves. So we shall see what they come back with. Again not my car so no choice in the matter! I'll take my own car to a local panel beater in the new year and get it fixed up!

I do have fully insured No claims bonus with step and as far as I know I can make one claim of up to 10k without this being affected. Thankfully I've never made a claim on my insurance in my 15 years of driving so if the cost is extortionate I will. Funny how different people think. Ill pay what I have to and be more careful in future. Accidents happen and I'm thankful I didn't hurt anyone only my own pocket.

Everyone doesn't have your right mindedness though.

I had an accident with a dog. Owner said he would pay at roadside. He even spoke to Garda and said he was going to pay.

Got quote of 4700 and he went silent.

Had to claim on my own policy and insurer were saying they would recover costs from other party and delete the claim.

Insurer had zero interest after paying out. Didn't make any effort to recover and claim was left against me.

• Advertisement

Thats terrible. No wonder insurance is such a rip off here! Well it's a family member and a close one at that so I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it. Lesson learned on my behalf.

I would be hoping I didnt cause that kind of damage to the car tho! But anything up to 1k I'll cover myself. If its more than that I'll seriously consider claiming on my insurance!

Advertisement