Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People need to give more blood

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

@Enfilade

DO they still give a lapel pin for 20 donations????? I've no use one but I still want one

Yes they do. I proudly received mine and of course have never once used it since.

Actually, donating is a much faster process during Covid, as you have a specific appointment rather than waiting for such a long time just to get checked in and started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Im not vaccinated and have donated throughout covid never was an issue.

Find the donation process a lot quicker since covid but never bothered me giving up my time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One of the gaps in blood supplies is related to the B Neg type. As that’s associated with people who aren’t white, it’s rarely mentioned cos otherwise you’d be branded a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If they start paying I’ll be first in line. Otherwise I’ll be sat at home.

• Advertisement

But you'd also likely accept a transfusion if you needed it. Thankfully not all have your attitude.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Nice way to make assumptions about me based on absolutely nothing.

how very Irish of you indeed. :’)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What if it's you or your loved one that suddenly needs a blood transfusion?

That kind of attempting to guilt trip anyone into giving blood, generally tends to have the opposite effect.

Wouldn’t be too sure about that one Mike tbh. I’ve been a regular blood donor for years and twice undergone operations where on the first one, I had an autologous transfusion - my own blood was taken before the procedure, stored and used during the operation.

On the second occasion I asked about an autologous transfusion and was told they weren’t done any more because they were too expensive. The anaesthetist near had a fit when i said I didn’t want a transfusion. I’d to sign an enormous amount of waivers to say I understood the increased risk involved in performing the operation without a transfusion for backup in case anything went wrong.

At the moment there are alternatives, but there are numerous issues from a practical standpoint and from a cost perspective, means they’re just not viable and they’re not going to be available to everyone either, and that’s not even taking into account there are numerous risks involved with either using transfused blood, or any of the alternatives, which the medical profession will always try to mitigate against.

I’m genuinely curious to understand what this is about, and I wouldn’t think anyone is racist or whatever when it comes to this stuff. One of the problems I have with the whole area of blood donations is precisely that it has become very politicised. Has it something to do with the Ro blood type?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

Group B occurs in almost all populations (except , i think , some Native Americans nations and Australian Aboriginals ) but tends to be more common in Asian and African populations than European. I am European but am B -. In the UK they do advertise for people of particular backgrounds to donate , but more due to Rhesus types rather than ABO group, so no problems advertising for particular populations to donate.

I was a donor but unfortunately on medication which now precludes me from donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You’re talking out your hole, stop trying to play the victim.

• Advertisement

There are no rules on vaccination apart from waiting a period of time after a dose.

Covid doesn’t transmit through blood and there are measures in place in the clinics to limit the risk of transmission.

I doubt that will make any difference to you though as these facts don’t suit your narrative.

Of course I would, it’s free. Wouldn’t take an organ donation though. Would be a donor for €€€€€ though. Otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Cocaine use is one of the questions on the pre donation questionare, don't know if you would be refused if you answered yes.

Covid vaccination status has nothing to do with donating blood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The blood might be OK but they won't let you into the donation centre without a covid cert, so technically vaccination status can prevent you donating

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had nearly 200 donations before a heart attack prematurely ended my ability to donate as I'm now on aspirin for life.

I used to donate platelets. The team in St James were sound - I used to look forward to my monthly visits.

I've suggested to my kids that they should defo consider donating when they can, possibly with a few friends as a start to a quiet social night out. It is a selfless action and you know you'd appreciate it if you were unfortunate to ever need someones donation.

As for wanting money for it before you'd consider doing it, that says a lot about you!

Same as my dad who I mentioned earlier in the thread and it still pisses him off 20 odd years later that he can't give blood. Was only saying it to him earlier today about this thread reminding me of being on the bar of his bike and him going to give blood and reminded me of the time he kicked me in the head getting on my mams bike with the rear seat 😁

Explains a lot !!!!! Anyway I've cover for a few hours on Tuesday and an appointment so will be rolling up the sleeve. Come on lapel pin!!!!!

Only the over 70’s require a vaccine cert to donate.

Post edited by Bogwoppit on

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Wow, hope this is trolling. Otherwise you are coming across as the most selfish and narcissistic prick on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Donated recently and nobody asked me whether I was vaccinated or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I tried to donate but they redlisted me because a GP once tested for hemochromatosis 5 years ago. Despite me having normal bloods and a negative result on that test, they won't take my bloods. If I'd said 'No' to that question, there would have been 5 years of blood donations from me. They're way too strict but I suppose they have to be. They've no sympathy from me though.

Do you have an appropriate medical background along with data to back up your opinion?

Personally I’m glad they’re very strict, if a person is very sick and their immune system is compromised, the last thing they need is an added complication from a sub standard blood product.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As a number of posters above have said they need to make it easier to donate. D'Olier Street is a pox of a place to get to. They should have regular mobile clinics going around the place.

They had them when I was living in Naas. I was at 20+ donations but cannot give 3 or 4 hours to go to D'Olier Street.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

In what way is it selfish or narcissistic? It’s basic supply and demand. Blood is needed, I have untainted blood. If it was any other commodity and only 3% of the supply was available in Ireland (as posted earlier in the thread) then the price would naturally go up.

What price would you put on a life? I reckon €5000 to be an organ donor is value for money, you could save up to 8 lives with my organ donation from what I’ve read, is a life not worth €625??

I’d say €50 per blood donation would be about right, although if I’d a rare type that would increase.

Everyones a winner

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I’d say €50 per blood donation would be about right, although if I’d a rare type that would increase.

Everyones a winner

...except those who are so poor that this becomes a means to earn much needed cash. Why not make it so that people can donate more frequently also? What's the worst that could happen?

Normal countries wouldn't (and shouldn't) commodotise the sale of blood and body parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

They definitely need to make it easier to donate, starting with an online booking system. I hate talking to people on the phone and usually defer making the appointment for this reason. Maybe it's because they want a human to ask you the initial eligibility questions before booking you in, but they ask them all again twice at the clinic anyway, so doesn't make much sense to me.

There are also no local clinics being run anymore, meaning a trip into town. If you work full time, this usually restricts you to a Wednesday or Thursday evening as these are their only "late" evenings. I would be far more inclined to pop by if it was the travelling van thing they used to have, and it was in my area.

Covid rules have also made it more difficult to donate- you can't attend if you've been out of the country in the last 2 weeks (maybe this was always a thing, but I think it's just since covid?) and walk-ins are forbidden now. I've donated about 18 times I think, and made an appointment there recently- when I arrived after work one evening I was prevented from donating as I was only 12 days recovered from a cold (I had had a negative PCR test so thought it would be ok).

It's not as simple as people being too lazy to donate, you have to be really motivated to organise and do it, I don't think they make it that easy. After the recent experience, I'm just going to wait until after I've had my booster, and work around trips away I have planned, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I can't donate anymore because of the height/weight requirements for women that were introduced a few years ago. Many women I know are in the same situation.

I usually hate rants, "outraged" posts and lectures- but yeah, in this case you're right. Haven't given in a while so off my arse I will go- thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Yes I have my GP telling me it's demonstrably fine and they have no reason to reject my offer. It was a test which came back negative and my bloods are completely normal.

• Advertisement

You should try ring em up,that seems an incredibly pointless reason to deny it.....anyone who ever had a blood test would be denied by that logic

Advertisement