Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't Look Up (Adam McKay) [Netflix]

• 08-09-2021 3:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

McKay's follow-up to 2018's Vice; looks like a much more comedic (and obviously fictional) vehicle than the last couple of openly political polemics he has helmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks end of the world disaster comedy with a great ensemble cast, I'm sold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up via Netflix's own event:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

interesting premise , but cant get behind the dialogue, maybe it suits americans but Im scratching around for a knitting needle to poke my ears

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looking forward to this as something a little off the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A full trailer has dropped. Not sure what I make of what I've seen. The comedy doesn't quite land but the idea and premise I like. Feels like a cousin to something like Idiocracy, with the broad populous behaving some moronically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks like it's meant to be a comedy and also noticed it's R rated!

Maybe they have something in it that they think will have an impact! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Looks like one of the more interesting films Netflix are bringing to the table. But c'mon, people are't that stupid are they? I mean, they are, some of the reactions too COVID proves how idiotic we can be, but if a comet was barreling towards earth, I'm sure the masses wouldn't need to be convinced that the threat is real. I know it's only the trailer, but I just can't help but feel that if this is how the film plays it, I'll be thinking the whole time, why aren't people freaking out.

Thing is, would they freak out? Looking at things from an American PoV, mapped against CoVid and yeah; I could entirely believe a large slice of America would either believe the asteroid was Fake News or just treat it like a hyped flavour of the week on TikTok. The tone from the trailer does seem a bit all over the place, but the resting ambivalence / stupidity of the population feels about right from what I've seen the last 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’d certainly hope so. Surely the world hasn’t got that bad, has Is?

Its kind of depressing to think about.

Again, it’s just a trailer, but everyones reaction to impending death seems a little bit too casual, but then again, Is it a million miles away from what would actually happen under a Trump style administration 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Oh dear, this doesn't seem to be landing too well with critics currently.

The trailer wasn't too inspiring, but it's still a surprise given the amount of talent on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Yeah the critical response hasn't exactly been warm. But I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, I think there mat be a bit of petty niggle on the part of the critics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Curious as to whether anyone has seen it yet and what you thought of it?

Saw it in the Lighthouse opening weekend. Looking forward to watching it again on Netflix Christmas Eve!

I get the impression McKay has stated getting pushback as this generations Michael Moore, seen as a bit of a polemic. Which isn't a wild swing; I've likes his movies, and yeah, the climate be fúcked and Cheney a villain ... but he has scarcely been especially considered or sober in his topics either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just finished it and I must say I enjoyed it, it was very wry like a Christopher Guest or Armando Iannucci film

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Any preconceived ideas you have going to watch this movie just ditch them now - it's nothing like you expect

It was brilliant, stellar cast, probably a very true view of how things would happen and a damning indictment of society and certain people

Thoroughly recommend it and it's got a great ending! (and there is a small post credits scene)

Netflix knocked it outta the park with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

One of the best I seen lately. It simply show how dumb we collectively become. It has so much in common with what is happening right now I almost think it will be banned soon...

Seriously, I was laughing so much so often I have to watch it 2-3x more for all the stuff I may have missed when I was ROFL.

I would rather say that they took aim on everyone Trump included. It was pretty cleverly mixed so they can hardly be accused of some wrong think by just one side.

They simply made the fun out of everyone and it was a pleasure to watch. Would watch it again now but I am going to enjoy it again with more people around.

Thought it was a really big dig at Trump with the badges etc (but yeah a dig at lots of things) - for sure something I could easily watch again very soon

Mostly Trump but whole US system with their rallies and corporations, greed... There was Brandon sniffing hair there too lol...

Just the first minute made me laugh for some time - that quote at the start was incredible.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,

not screaming and yelling in terror like his passengers."

• Advertisement

Probably too late for post production, maybe they could have added it in, but if he said

Like and subscribe, dislike if you want because no one can see it

...would have been hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Saw this last night, had been looking forward to it (saw a short clip and noticed the cast, knew nothing else about it)......and have to say, I thought it was mostly crap. Incredibly patronising and to be honest, very cringey and lame. I was expecting Dicaprio to turn to the camera at one point and say "THIS IS ACTUALLY ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE!"......ya Leo, we get it.

I'm all for taking action on climate change but there's something a little nauseating about celebrities being paid millions to preach to the rest of us about it (fond of private jets, yachts and limos too isn't Mr Dicaprio?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not my favourite McKay film but enough there to enjoy.

It's a bit all over the place in tone however.

I thought it was all set up for the Rylance character's idea to succeed through pure dumb luck. Because of that the ending just didn't land with me. It turned into Deep Impact when I thought they could have done more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched an hour of it last night. Had to head to bed as kids would be up a few hours later. Loved the first hour of it anyway. Thought it was quite witty. Maybe it falls apart in the second half, hence some poor reviews on here. But I'm really looking forward the other 1.5 hrs later tonight, if it's anything like the first hour.

You only need to look at it as a parody. I think I am not far from the truth here if I say they actually pointed out all that craziness happening around us for the last few years. From the elections, lobbying, business and how "science" can be manipulated to suit agenda or narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Great movie and a great end with them sitting around the table when it all went tits up, and thankfully at least it didn't end with the usual American moral bullshìt saving the planet with how the message of love and hope can beat all, one of the best films I've watched in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jeremyr62

I too thought it was decent. It seems to be attracting a lot of very poor "professional" reviews though. Possibly because they are part of the system the film was taking pot shots at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

A little long (especially watching it full of turkey) but enjoyed it. Absolutely nailed how society has become / is becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just watched it now and thought there was a lot going on on a lot of levels.

Its a bit long and at times it felt garbled but it was enjoyable. The satire was quite cutting, especially with the president's son and the BASH character.

I'd recommend it. I don't think there's anything terribly new in it but it did hold a mirror up to modern society in a true way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A bit long, but a 7/10.

There is a finale clip of Jason Orlean after the credits.

But definitely takes the piss out of Trump

Advertisement