Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying a new front light-what lumens?

Options
  • 22-12-2021 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

what lumens would you normally look for in a front light for cycling in the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As high as possible as it’ll have a decent battery. I’d then run it on one of the lower settings. 250 is good for cities where there is street lighting

This one is great and the batttery lasts along time. Halfords Advanced 1600 Lumen Front Bike Light | Halfords IE

just run it on 240

Post edited by ted1 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

For cycling in the city, you'd hardly need one as high as possible. It's too be seen rather than to see with which what the really bright ones are for. Buy two, for battery redundancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Realistically anything above 50lms with decent patterns will be more than adequate for city riding. The rest is marketing.

You want usb rechargeable, with flexible mounting options, and a decent range. The smaller/neater the better too.

I would say Lezyne will have something for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i prefer ones which take AAA or AA rechargeables, as if the battery fails in a USB chargeable one, the battery is usually non-replaceable and the light is junk then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Stand face forward to whatever light you get and look at it. If it's too bright to look at, it's probably too bright for pedestrians, oncoming cars etc.

I've some super bright lights for my bikes I don't have a dynamo for, but I only use the bright settings during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

If the light is too bright then drivers have to look away and then won't be able to see where you are or judge how close you are - which is counter productive. It's like a driver driving in the city with headlights on. I'd say 50 - 100 Lumens...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Too bright is not a good thing.

Some are blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I ride unlit backroads with 400 lumens. I use 800 if it's a darker, rainy night. I'd say something around 200 should be grand for being seen in the city. Too bright and you'll just be a bright white spot that people can't see behind, they won't see you and won't be able to judge your distance in a wing mirror.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I dont think it has been mentioned but I'd recommend getting one that you can change the intensity easily (rather that a fixed output light). For most journeys in a city you won't need it to be that bright (it is really for you to be seen) but if you decide to cut through a park or whatever you light want to up the light output a tad so you can see the path ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

this is far too bright for the city. I prefer oncoming traffic either bikes pedestrians or cars being able to see and not get completely blinded by some disrespectful cyclist having a strobe on and light pointing up in their eyes. That light is also huge and weighs a tonne and is used for downhill mountain biking. And youll spend ages cycling through the options getting to a low setting all the time.

having one on the handle bar, or front fork, one on the helmet and say an arm band is the best way to go and will be the best for bad weather in the wind and rain in winter. They dont have to be too bright 400 is loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Good points i have notices from night driving some bicycle are either too bright or badly focused... This can be a distraction when meeting if lights too high and be dangerous more especially to the cyclists i would think... I see the Gardai have a campaign on dipped headlights at the moment and it might be good if cyclists were aware that the only person that is lightly to be in danger if a bike light too high is themselves...

Did you not read my post?

I said set it to a low setting. The main Advantage is that the battery is scaled for high power so at the lower lumen it’l last about 30 hours.

it’s easy to cycle through the settings. A big accessible button. And very handy if you do exit the city and end up on unlit roads

pre Covid my commute was 1 hr 15 each way. This was guaranteed to last the week. Unlike lights sale with lower lumens.

it’s also not that heavy, and has a much better light pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

That's got an off-road beam pattern - terrible for drivers coming the other way at any power.

Get a German commuting light if you want bright, road specific lights (or exposure Strada).

It really doesn’t. The three Cree light give a great pattern bottom two widening to light up the width too one to light up what’s ahead

These are obviously the lights i mention.. i met two bikes a week one night last week and with the brightness and flickering from movement were very dangerous... whoever uses these lights on the public road at night are putting themselves in serious danger...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Garda campaign to use dipped headlights is targeted at those motorists who do not use any lights. They are not advocating dipped lights instead of full beams.

I do not know what you mean by any lights as we have to have lights to drive when dark. The article i read stated that people who were driving on full beams during day would be issued with fixed charge... cannot remember if it mentioned penalty points. ... There is no law i am aware of that states time to put lights in in the evening... it may be there one introduced recently i am not aware of... I think its the drivers discretion... I do use lights pretty early in the evening and when its raining but i think it is for me to choose...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

There's no law about how early to have your lights on, but there's also no reason to not have them on all the time. There are a variety of situations where lights on in daylight is beneficial.

Very strong sunlight and contrasting shade is one such situation, where lights on make a car more noticeable earlier. (Before anyone jumps in about not noticing a ton and a half lump of metal moving on the road, please note the use of the words 'more' and 'earlier' 😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That's actually a good point, my lights take forever to charge but if I was only using flashing/pulse or lower power setting for an urban environment they'd last 10-20 hours rather than 2-4 hours at 400-800 lumens.

• Advertisement

There is no legal requirement to have lights on during the day but the Gardai are trying to encourage it (i.e. use dipped headlights) as it has been shown to reduce accidents. The reason that they say 'dipped headlights' is because a significant percentage of motorists seem to think parking lights are adequate.

Regarding the regulations - it's covered in statute instrument 189 of 1963 https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/189/made/en/print

Lights must be put on 30 mins after sunset.

So the Gardai are wasting time... their job is enforce the law... getting paid to encourage what we already know waste of time...

Every Garda Commissioner will say that the primary function of the Gardai is to preserve life. Enforcing the law is secondary to that.

Can you show me a quote where Gardai commissioner that says that lights is a threat to life???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

"There is no law i am aware of that states time to put lights in in the evening... "

'lighting up' hours - legally defined as 'the period commencing one half-hour after sunset on any day and expiring one half-hour before sunrise on the next day'"

Anyway the lights on my bike not work and i am afraid of the dark...

Advertisement