Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training To Become An Accountant As A Mature Student

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is a lot of auto rejection in Big 4. I was rejected for 3 of them based on my leaving cert results (16 years previously despite having just completed a 1st class honours degree in A&F). This was all done by a computer without a human looking at it. For the 4th I left the points section blank and someone from HR followed up. Was told initially that because I didn't have 425+ they wouldn't be progressing my application but I sent a long email in response stating my case and they relented and I ended up getting the job.

They do not deal with non standard applicants very well and if you are not hitting exactly what they want quite often 'computer says No'.

The training contract itself was hellish and the managers and partners were not able to deal with a mature adult as a subordinate as they couldn't semi bully me throughout the contract as they did with the others who started at the same time. I found a lot of very senior people to be very poorly balanced human beings quite honestly. Very good at their jobs but lacking in many other aspects especially empathy with no idea of how a decent person treats another.

Was absolutely awful but it got me where I wanted to be and got all exams sorted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

@StevenToast, @9214,

Just because you are over 30 and did not get an interview with a big 4 does not mean there is a bias against the over 30s, if I recall correctly the OP did… Lots of people from Donegal, Kerry or Mayo will also not get an interview either, does that mean there is a bias there too? I know of one big 4 who favor taking on a few Irish speakers each year because they have a large block of Irish speaking clients but that is it as far as I have heard.

The big 4 have very exacting standards and they are in the position to be able to enforce those standards in their selection process. It is along time ago since I recruited for one of the big 4, but I doubt the basic requirement has changed much over the years - smart people with a consistent track record of academic achievement. Extra exams don’t empress nor does a first class honors degree built an average LC and random performance year on year throughout your college years. The reality is that most people won’t make the cut simply because they are not good enough.

But here is the thing you don’t have to get into a big four to build a great career nor does having trained at a big four mean you’ll have a great career. Yes having a big 4 on your resume will get you interviews you might not otherwise get, but it takes a lot more to build a great career including a large portion of luck.

I view an accounting qualification as a very good first step, but where it takes you will very much depend on other things: your people skills, your ability to play office politics, your ability to recognize and take advantage of opportunities when they are presented, flexibility to consider possibilities outside of accounting and above all the people you meet along the way.

My advice is get your accounting qualifications where ever you can, it’s not an end, but a first step and where it will take you is very much up to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Having worked in both Big 4 and more general practice there is nothing special about those that work in Big 4 as compared to elsewhere so I don't know where you get that most people 'are not good enough'. Big 4 favour a certain type of person. Typically their trainees will be early 20s Trinity, UCD/C/G, UL graduate from a middle class background. There are some token exceptions of course so they can tick the diversity boxes.

I have my ACA exams completed and a couple of years remaining on my audit training contract to be qualified.

I trying to figure out what I could do over these two years to maximize my chances of making a good transition to industry in 2 years.

Would you have any advice in this area? What skills are valued in the first step into industry that would not be a core part of the job in an audit practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

@9214 Industry Jobs advertised now place huge emphasis on internal processes and controls. So auditing background really suits from that perspective.

Additionally you will be assessed on communication skills dealing with non finance staff as you probably don't have extensive experience here. From this perspective just talk up your communication skills generally.

Influencing skills and being able to deal with office politics probably will likely be assessed as well, but if it's just first job from practice this might not be a big issue.

There are loads of jobs advertised for those recently qualified looking for first position in industry, you should have a decent chance of getting interviews.

You left out the part where they are also people with a high consistent academic record year on year and that is definitely not the norm, regardless of what you may think.

There are many parameters they use to ensure they get their preferred demographic. Results of irrelevant exams is one of them.

There was one partner I recall who would only hire from Blackrock college. This ensured he would not have to deal with peskie foreigners or other undesirable Irish untermenschen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

Another mature recently qualified here.

In my mid 40s, finished acca on self study, working in the finance dept of a big company.

I dont know if the big4 advisory roles are any good. Money seems to be great however I dont know what the small print is. Do they drain you like during training? Do they get rid of you once mid 50s

Anyone with real life experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

For any of the posters that completed ACCA, would you recommend studying it yourself or enrolling with an approved educational partner like Griffith college. For context I have 4 exams left and am working full time. Thanks

• Advertisement

Finished it all with self study (opentuition) while working full time

It really depends on how you learn best. Some people work better when they are in a structured environment with colleagues working towards the same goal and some prefer to work through it by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Congrats In2dark. I'm just about to head into my professional level exams and like you, am working full time, plus kids and all the other time draining stuff! It's good to know it can be done with self study as it's my preferred method of learning, but a lot of people told me the P level exams couldn't be done on your own. Good to hear real life examples that it can!

Like you I also have 2 kids. Dont be scared of the Ps. They are not much harder than the exams tou have already passed. Especially the SBL is walk in the park, its all about the scenario... SBR is matter of practice. Now the 2 optionals are challenging. Just dont give up and you are almost there ;-) best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

I think ATX would be very difficult to do self-study. The others are all doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Just wanted to come back and do a quick update. When I last posted, I was about to start the P level exams, sat my final exam in June and passed so I’m finally done with exams! Got them all first time with self study so it definitely can be done. Like In2dark said, SBL is very easy and I believe it will be easier going forward as they are releasing the scenario a couple of weeks in advance and making the exam shorter. The most challenging part of that exam is the length of it and keeping the focus up for 4+ hours. I found SBR difficult, but I was having a very busy time in work so that probably added to it.

For the optional choices, I did AAA and APM. They have the lowest pass rates of all the ACCA exams, but honestly, they’re not that bad. I think good exam technique is nearly more important than knowledge so if you perfect the exam technique you’re well on the way.

In some way, the P level exams are nearly more straightforward, they are a lot more theory based which suited me better so if maths isn’t your strong point, they’re a lot more doable!

It’s been a tough few years, but it’s great to be finally done. For anyone thinking of doing it, go for it! You won’t regret it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement