Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decline In Mink Numbers

Options
  • 20-12-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

As some of you may know, I've done a lot of mink trapping over the years. For the last thirty years or so, I've trapped a number of rivers over the winter period, catching a few mink on each, year after year.

In recent years, I've noticed that mink numbers seem to be dropping, especially the last three or four years. This year I have trapped two trout rivers, which usually have lots of mink on them, and I've caught no mink. I have caught lots of rats, and that can be a sign, of little or no mink around. I even put out some trail cams in good locations, under bridges etc, and no sign of mink.

I've also been talking to other lads from different area's, and some are seeing the same thing. Others are still catching plenty.

I've researched it online, and although I couldn't find anything regarding Ireland, I did find a few articles regarding numbers declining in the UK. One article suggested that the rise in Otter numbers are the cause there, another said the drop in rabbit numbers, is causing it. I'm not convinced that either could be the cause.

What do you lads think? Anyone noticing a decline in their area? I know it's a good thing, if indeed numbers are dropping. I am just interested in what might be causing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think it varies with river catchment - they still seem to be a problem on the likes of the Liffey etc. On my place in North Mayo got an influx about 5 years ago but tapered off then. I reckon though vigilance will always be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Healthy otter population won't tolerate mink - but not everywhere has a decent or recovering otter population - worst case scenario is their prey is struggling, prossibly due to habitat destruction...possibly at critical times of the year , and when you think how varied and adaptable a predator they are that'd be worrying in itself .. not that I'm mourning the loss of the mink itself

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yes me neither. Thing is, we here in Ireland have a healthy otter population for many decades now, and it never seemed to affect mink numbers enough to make a notable difference. Also, regarding food. Mink are so adaptable and proficient, that I can't see that being a cause for a swift decline, when other species such as pine marten are actually increasing. Maybe its not just one factor, but rather a couple of factors combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I noticed that 2 otters moved into an area on Lough Corrib that was full of mink.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Would the rise in numbers of Pine Martens be a factor?

They would hunt similar prey but would the Marten chase off minks?

• Advertisement

Yes they would certainly eat similar prey. Not sure if they would chase a mink like otter do, but they may displace them by simply using and marking territories. There are a lot of marten here in the Midlands the last fifteen or more years. I haven't noticed the drop in mink numbers till recent years, but maybe its been a gradual thing

Could it be the combination of the 2 ? Increased martens in the wooded areas and increased otter numbers just leaving less "space " and feeding opportunitys ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Interesting discussion here on the subject of Mink v. Otter.

Yes, it is certainly strongly believed that they affect mink numbers. Thing is, well around me anyway, there has always been a healthy population of otters on the rivers I trap. Ireland, is known to be a stronghold for Otter, compared to the UK and other European Country's.

Also, in America, where you have both Otter, and mink, they seem to co exist pretty well.

I feel this is something more drastic. Similar to the quick decline in grey squirrel numbers. Maybe as said by others earlier. Pressure from Otter, along with a large rise in marten numbers, might be affecting mink numbers more drastically.

Here's a link to an article suggesting that a rise in Otter numbers in tge UK, is the cause of the drop in mink numbers there. BUT, England's Otter numbers are not even close to Irelands, with maybe 4000 Otters in the whole of England combated to say, 10,000 here. 4,000 Otters, in somewhere the size of England, will do very little to affect mink numbers. It just doesn't make sense.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/mink-numbers-drop-as-the-otter-bites-back-93043.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭keith s

Probably a stupid question, but does RHD only effect rabbits.

I know it's in the name, but curious if it's possible as mink might eat an effected rabbit.

I don't think it affects mink. They can carry and spread RHD, but even if they eat affected rabbits, but can't catch RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

Possibly.

From watching nature/wildlife programs on tv, I believe Otters are very protective and of their terrain and especially when they have pups/kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Someone told me that they get distemper. Don't know if there is any truth in it though. There is both otters and mink coexisting together where I fish. I did not start trapping yet. Must check shortly for any signs of mink on the riverbank. I normally look for footprints.

Yes, I normally see sign. Lots of rat and otter prints in the mud, but no mink.

I think it is true that mink can indeed get distemper

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I live in the southwest and am not a hunter or a farmer - just a homeowner. However, I have noticed a decline in the mink too. I used to see the odd one - which gave a good indication of how many were actually around. I haven't seen one in a couple of years now and rats are on the increase again unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The steady increase in number and range of bankvoles(which would be targetted by mink) might b another indication of changes afoot. They appear to be now firmly established in much of Kildare based on what I heard this summer from folks around the home place(near Naas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Is the bank vole just an ordinary vole. What changes would the bank vole have on mink.

More the other way round - increased numbers of bank voles probably means there are lot less mink ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think you've misunderstood what Birdnuts was saying. Yes, that the rise in bank vole numbers, could partly be due to a drop in mink numbers, if indeed that is the case.

• Advertisement

We have them in Offaly too. Not sure if numbers have increased much in the last few years. Its hard to find info on research done on such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mink are probably getting squeezed between both native species. They are both larger than mink and probably more adaptive to there environment. Pine Marten are probably outcompeting them in woodland and covered area while otters are taking over riverbanks and wetlands.

Slava Ukrainii

Where pine marten are plentiful, they not only hunt woodlands, but also river banks, and hedgerows. Riverbanks, can hold a lot of prey species, so make good hunting grounds.

Advertisement