Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 4x06 - 'Stormy Weather ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 23-12-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x05 - 'The Examples ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Now the ship is too emotional to do her job correctly. I suppose that fits the tone of the show, but god I think I'm flagging more with this season than even previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

I'm surprised at myself with how much I'm enjoying these recent episodes. I was so close to quitting this show after episodes 1 and 2 this season but I think there's been steady improvements since then.

It still has problems -- mostly being overly emotional, subtle as a brick with it's themes and lessons, and underdeveloped characters and world building -- but having Burnham as Captain makes a big difference and has orientated the focus of the show back where it should be, around the Captain's chair and the bridge crew.

These last three episodes haven't been great but they've each been their own little Star Trek episode, finding ways to progress the season arc a little bit without being a total slave to it for their full run-time. And the season arc, so far, is an anomaly. Possible nefarious but ultimately unknown origins. I'll take that over a sword-wielding comic-book styled "mirror universe" evildoer or ridiculous maniacal nanite-murder-robot thing any day.

As for the actual content of the episode -- yeah, was fine. Interesting predicament and enjoyable to see the crew find their way out. Feel like we're getting to know them a bit better and every bit is an improvement. Really enjoyed Saru putting Owosekun in her place, just because this crew usually seem to be allowed run around like children. The ship intelligence stuff is interesting enough too except that I can not believe you'd just let that happen to your ships computer. The events of this episode alone would be enough to prove that point. Give it one of those 3D-printed Soong-bodies or a holodeck to run riot on or something. New intelligent life? great! In control of the entire starship? Gerrup outa that.

And that 'family tree' thing they've got is embarrassing. I wonder did they write and film those scenes hoping the FX department would come up with something cool in post-production. They did not. It's silly looking, and them all beaming at them with goo-goo eyes just makes them look silly.

The Frakes directed this one, too. Always good to see.

Post edited by eadrom on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I am genuinely not going to mention any episode threads, or plot points. Also, im not gonna claim i wont be watching this show anymore - i clearly will keep watching - im a trekkie for life

All i can say, is that IMHO, this episode had no redeeming qualities at all. It ranks up there with the worst episodes of Trek i have ever watched. The plot is bordering on parody - the writing is abysmal - having only just endured it, i am not going to say it is Worst Trek episode of All Time - but its in the mix. this episode is embarrassingly bad (metaphorically embarrassing, but in the case of one scene in particular, it was literally cringe inducing)

Six episodes in -

EP1 - very poor 3/10

EP2 - extremely poor 2/10

EP3 - Below Average but reasonable 5/10

EP4 - Very Poor 3/10

EP5 - Modest reasonably Good - hints of classic Trek intrigue 6/10

Ep6 - Diabolical - farce - 0/10

This show is not progressing - it is deteriorating

All the above is my opinion - love to see what others think

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Unless I've missed something why has Zora now become so self conscious, a single line last week and now a full on emotional AI feeling depressed

The storyline has been done too many times in Star Trek - was bored watching it

Also what happens to her hair when the helmet materialises? So many stupid things in this show

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So why are you still watching? Honest question. A million shows on right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Whew! Jonathon Frakes sure knows how to make a good Star Trek episode!

Really enjoyed that! Liking how Zora was done and how it all felt a bit like 2001 A Space Odyssey towards the end!

Books Vision! I mean.. like.. this father figure.. but being an angry personality.. plus all the wormhole hints from before... I'm like.. NO WAY! .. but maybe... _JUST MAYBE_ that got me remembering the Pah-wraiths!

I mean like.. I'm not sure it was ever established where the wormhole beings came from.. but they sure know how to make wormholes!

Still heaps of other candidate races though and like the show is trying to hint.. a new extra-galactical entity/race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Sing me a song seriously.

Absolute rubbish but I keep watching each week hoping for an improvement this wasn't it.

Also dont fly into the eye of Sauron everybody knows that doesn't end well

At this point, because i have always watched star trek and i always will? every trek film on cinema day one release since star trek 5 (which didnt scar me for life, i was a kid just delighted to see my heros on a big screen)

i know what you are driving at and i fully expected this reaction, from some. i love trek, and i cannot help but be infuriated by what i am seeing. i am also baffled by the writers - how and why are they producing this level of drivel (imho), and continuing to be content with it

i am also very puzzled, especially this week, that anyone has anything positive to say - if im honest, i knew my reaction would probably be the most negative, but the thought that anyone would lean positive toward this weeks trek - baffling - however i am not attacking anyone, i am not insulting anyone - i disagree, respectfully, with a growing consensus that would seem to indicate this show is improving. i want it to, but i do not see it. last weeks was modest, had it been followed by a few more reasonable episodes, i might agree, and be more positive.

instead, it was followed by an episode involving a singing computer (i saw someone compare this to hal9000 on another forum, that did ACTUALLY provoke an emotionally violent response, 2001, and STDISCO do not belong in the same chat ) - and interpersonal relationships and a plot that LITERALLY WENT to nowhere

anyway, if im asked not to post by mods, i will comply, so - no hard feelings, and happy christmas pal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Zora had to become more/fully sentient at some time to fit in with the short episode "Calypso" set years after discovery was abandoned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It felt like a ship in the bottle episode, to save money and pad out the season. No need for guest stars, new sets or major CGI work. And the end result of the entire episode is just one tiny bit of info to contribute to the series arc.

At least it continues the trend of the secondary characters having screen time, and even lines for just about all of them. But the main story is getting neglected instead.

I like the Zora subplot personally. I like the unsettling idea of the ships computer potentially having its own ideas and not being reliable. It brings in a note of more subtle existential dread among all the cgi explosions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm not a mod of Star Trek, just a regular poster. Regardless, in no way did I ask you to stop watching.

I just see a lot of people who despise Discovery but still watch it at a time of unparalleled quality on TV in general. My time for TV is very limited so wouldn't be spending it watching a show that had rated 3/10 on average. Life is too short. Watch something that makes you happy! It's clearly not Discovery for sure!

You are perfectly entitled to think it's the greatest pile of crap ever :) I disagree, in fact, this feels much more like the episodic trek I grew up with. The A story, the B-story, the personal growth. Last week was the same.

I honestly know exactly what you are saying RE quality television. Believe me i have embraced many shows, the one foremost on my mind now is the Expanse - i was like a child on christmas morning watching the latest episode, and will probably rewatch season 3-5 over the holidays. (who am i kidding, i have to go back to the beginning for the episode CQB!)

In elaborating on why i will continue to watch star trek. All i can say is i have a blind spot for it - the only other blind spots i have are Doctor Who, and prob star wars to a certain degree. Even if these franchises deteriorate, i will continue watching. Any unrelated franchise to the above, i would give the benefit of the doubt to, but if it deteriorated to this degree, i would gladly disconnect.

What saddens me is that early on in the run of Disco and Picard, i saw a lot of hate. Youtubers like nerdrotic for example. Simply attacked Discovery for bad reasons. I was critical of Disco, but optimistic, enthusiastic, and i frankly enjoyed it! Iv said of earlier seasons (1 and at least part of 2) that they were enjoyable - i have run through S1 at least twice - Sure, it has flaws, but it was entertaining. Fast Forward 4 years, and i probably sound far worse than the original haters from back then. All that i can say, in my defence - i have not changed. The show, has.

I also find it depressing to think back to Enterprise, which was cancelled right when it had really evolved into a proper addition to the franchise. If enterprise had been a streamer, i have no doubt we would have gotten the 7 seasons that we wanted - And given the choice between Enterprise season 5-7, and more discovery - i have no qualms about saying -100000% enterprise all the way

But the blind spot remains, i will post but i will tone down my disappointment/rage, and hope for MAYBE a change in direction- llap

the pah-wraiths - that would be .. AWESOME - i am REALLY hoping you may have hit the nail on the head Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

And just when I thought it couldn't get worse...............................................it did. Pure and utter rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just caught up on all episodes.

This latest one was not the worst.

They have good ideas just poorly implemented.

I liked the way the other crew had things to do, until Michael saved the day again.

Edit: post all over the gaff.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was a bit confused myself. He's a transitioner from female to male but the last couple of episodes gave the impression it was the other way round. Agree the character is terrible. Don't think it's the actor's fault, I thought he was quite good in "The OA", gave a much more subtle nuanced performance that wasn't grating. At least in this episode they gave the character something to do other than following Adira around like a puppy dog.

Of course, it's a general issue with Discovery's characters that the performances have to be over-earnest. Dr. Culber suffers with the same clunky over-wrought dialogue. "We'll help you be SEEN Gray, TRULY SEEN" was one of the most cringeworthy lines I've heard on TV. I mean Christ Hugh, you're creating a synthetic body for him, not exposing his soul to the universe. Thankfully Anthony Rapp, who is one of the strongest actors on the show imo, manages to do okay for the most part in delivering the shite that's written for him. I do miss Season 1 Stamets though. Got a little glimpse of his Season 1 self in Season 3 when he gave this look of sheer raw disgust like he was about to throw up in his mouth (which perfectly captured the audience's reaction) when Tilly delivered the news that she was to be his commanding officer. Such a shame he had to immediately get back on script with the young adult "so thrilled for you!" guff.

Anyway negatives aside, I did think this episode was one of the better ones by Discovery's standards. For the most part, characters are getting more to do and better fleshed out. And the Zora storyline is interesting even if the crew are being way too complacent. We know Zora turns out to be benevolent as we've seen Calpyso (assuming the reason for the empty ship isn't that Zora spaced them all), the crew doesn't. And especially after the events of Season 2 with "Control", they should be creeped out. But I'm generally happy that they're closing the gap with "Calypso" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just had a thought, how much fun would it be to have Brent Spiner delivering some of the Discovery dialogue. He'd have a feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Completely agree with the crew being waaaay too complacent about the ship developing emotional responses. The idea that the ship might react emotionally to an order would be absolutely terrifying for the crew. They'd be walking on eggshells for fear of upsetting the ship. If it were me I'd be looking for a transfer the instant they get back to Federation HQ.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Discovery but I appreciate that they're trying a slightly more episodic format this season. I thought this particular episode was decent enough. The idea it could be lumped in with the 'worst of Trek' such as "Threshold", "Spock's Brain" & "Code of Honor" is just hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I didn’t hate this episode. But my god i laughed at one of the first comments in this thread that pointed out that even the ship is too emotional now.

It suffered from the same shite this show is plagued with. Burnham gets her saviour moment. Book continues to mope around. Gray saves the day because.. why not. The crew always stop to have a chat at the worst possible time sensitive moments.

The Zora stuff is interesting but it’ll be messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

Absolute muck. Nonsensical bullsh1t. I can't stand this show. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gray installs The Headspace app into the computer.

The End.

Advertisement