Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating to homeless charities

Options
  • 22-12-2021 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all,

I would like to have an advice from you.

For a long time, I have been reluctant in donating money to charities. One reason is because I heard of many scandals, with one organization in particular where with my company we had donated quite a lot of money and in memory of a coleague of ours who had passed away. The other reason is because I am still wondering why many CEOs of charity companies earn so much money.

Having found myself in a difficult situation for 2-3 years, where I wasn't really homeless, but my home situation was quite uncertain, I have finally reached a place that I can call home and I consider myself, especially during these times, very lucky. I've done little volunteering with homeless, I've seen many people living on the streets and different tents around the Country. Many times I went to bed at night thinking how lucky I was to have a proper bed, though having a sense of guilt at the same time.

I finally found a home, though I don't want to forget the pain I went through and the same pain that many people have still been experiencing. Because we live in a material world and sometimes volunteering is not enough, I have decided to contribute financially as well.

However, because I still have this untrust, I would like to ask if you are aware of any trustable charity, anywhere in Ireland, where they volunteer to improve homelessness. If possible, I would like to contribute to different charities, on a monthly basis on a rota, something similar.

In the meantime, I have found a list on this page: https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/primarycare/socialinclusion/about-social-inclusion/partnerorganisations/homelessness.html

It might not be relevant, but I feel like saying that this hasn't come out because it's Xmas time or close to New Year's. I'm not religious and I don't believe in New year's resolutions, I think a change can happen any time during the year. It was actually a Buddhist nun who somehow helped me in opening my mind (and heart) while she was talking about generousity.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Hi Shinsen,

Fair play to you wanting to give back. I can only tell you from my experience so that's what I'll do.

I have volunteered for Focus Ireland and I can vouch that they account for every penny spent, I have seen their books and 80% of all money donated goes directly to services, the remaining 20% is spent on the costs of doing so.

In my experience they account for every penny spent and do not waste any money. If we had to buy anything we were encouraged to see if we could get it free or negoiate a discount before buying.

I would highly recommend them. Some of the smaller organisations may not have the same controls in place.

Advertisement