Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig of the Year 2021

Options
  • 22-12-2021 8:32pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not expecting an awful lot of replies to this, but there was at least few gigs when things opened up a while ago, only got to see Imelda May and Alestorm this year, don't think I'll have either down as my all time favourite gig, but both were very enjoyable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Managed too catch cruachan and alestorm here then a few smaller local gigs but my gig of the years by far was my dying bride in London they put on a fantastic show even in a half empty venue!.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Caught The Scratch in cork before they had to halt their tour. Don't think I've ever seen a band start so fast, but then to maintain it the whole way through was nuts. Great fun and would highly recommend them to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

I haven't been to a gig since The Aristocrats in The Button Factory, 3rd March 2020 ... the next gig I have tickets for (that hasn't yet been rescheduled) is Tangerine Dream on 3rd March 2022 - exactly 2 years between gigs. 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

Junior Brother in Whelans - an exceptional night of music and song

Sold out - standing- singing along - pure bliss

A reminder of the way we were before this sh1t show starter

That and Just Mustard in the Grand Social - shoe gaze power pop at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Caught the DMA's in the Academy in Nov, great night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

My gig of the year, as in the only one of my gigs that managed to survive the shitstorm of restrictions, rescheduling, cancellations and isolation was Sports Team in Whelan's a few weeks ago. Absolutely brilliant. Here's hoping we have a wider field for this thread next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I managed to make 5 gigs last year, Frank Turner in Manchester and Frank Turners Lost Evenings (4 Nights, 4 Sets) so, I'd probably lean towards Frank Turner.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Porridge Radio in the Academy Green Room a few weeks ago. Great band. Cracking live show.

Came out chatted and took photos with anybody who wanted after the show

Already looking forward to the next time they manage to get over

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Granite Head

Only two gigs for me this year John Grant @ NCH and James @ The Point. Usual top performance from JG, but not sure on a seated NCH as a venue. Had never seen James before but was pleasantly impressed - will go again (hopefully).

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I only managed to get to the offspring so by default that’s the winner… it was a great gig in fairness, after months of will it / won’t it go ahead, it was a nice call back to 90’s / 00’s, nostalgia of simpler times and forgetting about the mess we’re in for a couple of hours.

Shout out to the eagles of death metal, I’d a ticket but was bed ridden with a horrible cold (that wasn’t covid, remember those non-covid colds?), but by all accounts I missed a cracker of a gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 johnny1x

King Kong Company in Belfast was the only gig I made, a great night had - hopefully 2022 is better for gigs/festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fafy

It was a very lean year for gigs, i did see newish Galway Band :New Dad, Jack O’Rourke, Soda Blonde, Paul Noonan solo, The Coronas(herself likes them!), and King Kong Company.

Jack O’Rourke was really amazing on the grand piano, but i think Soda Blonde was my gig of the year.

Venue of the year, was Royal Albert Hall, only my 2nd time there, saw the “Bootleg Beatles”, in October, what an incredible venue.

Post edited by fafy on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

according to what i read the gig of the year was "the toy show" thankfully i missed as i not a fan of tubs...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Chewing on Tinfoil or the old reliable Attention Bebe this year. I honestly cant remember what else i went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Managed to squeeze in a fair few gigs between September and early December. Maybe 10?

Highlights for me were New Order in Heaton Park Manchester and For Those I Love in the Olympia. Two very special gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

The hives supporting the offspring for me, offspring were good too though but as per usual the hives were on a different level compared to the headline band.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

The Chewie gig was great craic, looking forward to seeing them in Dublin Castle on 1 Jan (free, no tickets required - playing with The Scratch FYI @Mushy)

Enola Gay in Whelans was amazing for atmosphere and the crowd just loving every second. Also delighted I had ear plugs with me, serious volume! Went to ten gigs and can't pick just one that stands out, was so happy just to be at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got to 4 gigs this year and all were great

Genesis in Birmingham was amazing and such an experience esp with the trip over with it been the first trip in over 2 years. Setlist was great

Feile Classical in the 3Arena was an impulse buy and overall a great night although with a very small crowd in attendance. Was nice to hear the hits from the bands, only gripe was The Stunning not been part of it due to a scheduling clashes

The Offspring in the 3Arena was grand and the atmosphere was electric. The Hives are also a great band live

Fozzy in the Opoim rooms was meh bit atmosphere was great. Not a fan of the venue

Roll on 2022 some great gigs lined and please to every god there is let them go ahead as planned

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ts_editor

I was too disheartened last year to post my list, so here's both ....

2020 _____________________________________

Chase Rice (Madison Kozak)

Snow Patrol [acoustic]

The Felice Brothers (Carson McHone)

The Slow Readers Club (Sean McGowan)

Steel Panther (Wayward Sons)

The Strokes (Hinds)

Gabrielle Aplin - (Emily Burns)

2021 _____________________________________

Lisa Hannigan (Reevah)

Snow Patrol [acoustic] (Dani Larkin)

Glen Hansard (Rónán O’Snodaigh & Myles O’Reilly)

Courtney Marie Andrews (Memorial)

Villagers (Conchur White)

DMA's (Brand New Friend)

Saint Sister (Laytha)

We Are Scientists (modernlove)

Ash (Wood Burning Savages)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

Just Mustard in Grand Social

Black Pumas in Olympia

Molchat Doma in Whelans

Leon Vynehall in Peppercanister Church

Had a bad run of cancellations with Modeselektor, Saint Sister and The Mary Wallopers all of which I am sure would also have been class.

Advertisement