Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super speed swing sticks

Options
  • 19-12-2021 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

About 3 months ago I purchased the super speed swing sticks along with the PRGR speed monitor. I’ve religiously followed the instructions ie 3 times a week swinging as fast as I can, and at the beginning I was swinging at 75 mph maybe touching 80 if I really got after it(not great) and now after 3 months I can easily swing now at 93-96 the medium stick. Going by the reviews of the product and the blurb from the manufacturers it’s a fair oul increase in numbers but unfortunately that’s not reality on the course. I’ve played today and a few other times recently and without outside influence, wind assisted etc, and I really don’t see any increase in where I used to hit it to. I have lost a fair bit of distance in the last few years, I’m in my mid 50s with a paunch(who hasn’t) and several older guys are hitting it along side me and further. Now I’m not that naive to think I was actually going to gain 30 40 or 50 metres. My irons don’t seem to have been affected by distance at all, 9 iron is still 100 metres, pretty much has been that all the time, but there’s been a big loss of distance with the driver compared to where I used to land it, confused or what? Has anybody tried them and what’s your experience with swing speed sticks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Are you comparing your winter distances to summer distances?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

No, I play on a links course and it’s a dry now as in the middle of summer. The air is colder fair enough but I’m still landing in much the same areas as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

The carry in the summer would be a good bit more than it would be this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have you just been focused on using the sticks, or incorporating them into an overall fitness regime.

Also, could you be suffering with a drop off in technique, swinging faster, but delivery and technique suffering as a result?

yes I have focused more on swinging the sticks like a lunatic and less on a fitness regime, I certainly haven’t been affected by accuracy I was never very wild off the tee anyway, technique isn’t Adam Scott but it’s probably not the worlds worst either. I think a lot of people are basing their opinions on the numbers on the launch monitor. I probably won’t fully know until high summer bus as I said earlier I’m lucky to be playing on a very dry course anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I tried them at start of lockdown 20 months ago. Didn’t measure my swing speed as I advanced but seemed to be going faster. Did it for 3 months to begin with.

And same as you, on the course I went backwards. Lost 20 yards in my drives. And this was summer 2020. I was definitely out in terms of timing, striking the ball etc.

I’m sure they probably work for a lot of people if you do it properly and are incorporating it into your natural swing as you go, which I wasn’t doing. I don’t really have the time to do it properly.

I just use them for a bit of warming up now.

Is your driver suited to you or maybe its too heavy or stiff.

How has your swing speed with the driver changed since you started the training. Were you hitting balls on a monitor with a swing speed of 80mph and then a few months later hitting balls on a monitor with 96mph?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

If you were swinging with a swing speed of 75 -80 with your old driver and now you are swinging at 93/96 then that is up to a 20% increase. If you are getting no gains in distance then you need to look at your driver.. all other things being equal (ie) timing and Rhythm then your driver shaft is going to react completely differently at 95 than it will at 75... Have you measured yourself with the driver @ 95 or are you measuring yourself with the swing sticks only??? I presume you are playing a long time so when we get ourselves in a certain rhythm that we are used to it can be hard to change that... I suggest you get a fitting for a driver with your new swing speed and see what that does for you.. Good luck

It doesn’t make any sense that swing speed going from 80mph to 96mph wouldn’t result in distance gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I was the same. I hoped that swinging as fast as I possibly could with the sticks would cause my average swing speed with the driver to increase. I used them religiously for 3 months, and although I could often reach speeds way in excess of where I started, my driving distances didn't increase. I sort of get the idea of them, but we never really swing our driver flat out as it's usually a recipe for disaster and if my average swing speeds don't increase, it's not worth it.

I sold them and the PRGR a while back and bought a couple of wedges instead!

• Advertisement

I probably didn’t explain properly how they work, you have 3 clubs to train with, green red and blue, green being the lightest and blue is the medium and the nearest in weight to my actual driver, the red is the heaviest of the 3. You swing as hard as you can 3 times then change to the next club and so on. It’s the green and lightest club that I measured my starting speed, I think it was around 75/80. The medium weighted club I now swing at 85 with a ball on the range, I presume it was lower than 85 in the beginning. I can swing the green club at around 95. I doubt a stiffer shaft would make any difference to my current regular ping g425. As someone said maybe I’m not using them 100% as they recommended, even so I’m not entirely convinced they would make a real difference in distance. As I say, I probably won’t really know until next spring, warmer air etc.

Kinda agree, I think the people who rave about them are talking entirely from numbers on the monitor where you can go flat out but you’d never do that with an actual ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can I be really honest with you here, are you saying you're maxed out at 95 mph on the green stick? If so, a regular is more than enough, and you maybe are in the land of senior flex.

Going by the conversion the superspeed guys give, they say the green at 120mph is about equivalent to giving you a driver swing speed of around 100mph, so a green swing speed of 95 would approx out at about an 80 mph driver swing, maxed out.

In terms of conversion, the generally accepted number, I believe, is 2.5yrds carry per 1mph increase in speed, so even if you were to say you went from 80 with the green to 95 with the green, that would be about 13mph gain on maxed out driver speed l, which would imply about 32 yards of extra carry...at max speed, assuming identical delivery conditions and technique

There may be some mix up in terms of how you've stated your numbers

I found when I was doing the sets properly as well as combining with a proper work out regime that I did get gains in terms of length. But I was doing 3 days of strength training a week and 3 days of mobility training, which I incorporated the super speed into. Think I got the green stick up from around 115 to 125 from start to finish (all came to a crashing halt when covid kicked in and never went back to it properly, so any gains would have been lost.)

I guess I saw the difference when I went for my last driver fitting. Was playing a Firm shift (basically in the gap between reg and stiff, according to the original fitter) and was fit comfortably into a stiff shift on the replacement. So my driver swing speed as up about 4-5mph on average between fittings

space, I’d have zero problems playing with an oul grannies super duper light shaft, if it meant more distance off the tee, ego is not an issue for me. I swing the red club, which is almost the same weight as my ping driver at about 85mph, according to the PRGR monitor which going by all the reviews is every bit as accurate as the trackman, the dogs bollox of launch monitors. Funny enough about 7 or 8 years ago I played the ping G25 with the yellow STIFF shaft, can’t think of the shaft name, it’s really well known though and I used to hit it far further. Lee Westwood said once that you will adapt your swing to ANY club if you keep at it, I think he may be right, today all the bag is regular except my stiff hybrid which I’ve had for years, don’t notice any difference in it. I think maybe you need to combine the sticks with other strength training like yourself.

Advertisement