Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is my Plasterer slow?

• 21-12-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Getting my whole house (standard Dublin semi-detached, approx 80m2) boarded and skimmed (existing walls and ceilings weren't good enough to just skim, so boarding over all of them). I have 2 plasterers and an apprentice at it 7 work days now. Progress so far is the 3 bedrooms (box room and two bigger bedrooms) fully boarded and skimmed and the landing half boarded (ceiling and half the main wall). Should I expect more to be done by now?

I can't argue about the quality. And the ceilings in the bedroom slope as they reach front/rear external walls, so a bit of messing there. I agreed to a day rate (out of desperation of wanting this done) and this progress up to now has cost me €4,000 excluding materials.

Post edited by burkey2k0 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Take out the apprentice wages prob leaves 250 a day for the plasterers.

About average cost.

7 days seems alot of time for whats covered.

Are you living in the house do the rooms have to be covered down and cleaned up afterwards 1 room at a time

What's the scope of labour work to be done

Covering down and tidying up can double the time of getting the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

When I worked in building we used to have a phrase/saying.

I'll get the turkey out of this one..........

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Burkey2k0. What you are doing is perfect. Good Plastering Craftsmen are hard to find. You said that they are doing a very good plastering job for you.

In any Construction project there are 3 very important items:- Time, Quality and Costs.

The most important one here for you is Quality. When you have a perfectly plastered house Time and Costs becomes irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

House is completely empty. No covering needed, No skirtings on the wall to be stripped, I've even taken off the sockets for them myself as they moaned about it.

In terms of cleaning, they are doing a basic scrape and sweep of the floorboards and I'm left to scrub them clean afterward as they're not bothering to protect them as they go. Lesson learned for me to protect them before they come back after Christmas as I wouldn't trust them to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What have you budgeted for the job? If quality of work is decent I'd be inclined to hold my tongue to be honest.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response, but after almost 15 years in project management, 8 of which in mechanical contracting, if a project engineer said that to me I'd give him an absolute b*****king and move him/her on. In no scenario are time and costs irrelevant. If they are wasting my time and my money, I will throw these guys off the job.

Approx 10k. I'm at 6k now including materials, with more to be bought (couple hundred euro I'd say). He's said it's going to be at least another 2 weeks, but I'd guess 3, so I'm at 15.5k approx end cost.

I had a quote for 15k for a much higher spec job, and highly recommended plasterer. I've made enquiries of their availability after Christmas. So if I get the impression from others here, and some builders I'll ask over Christmas, that my guys aren't performing, I'll pay the bit extra for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Sorry, Assumed job was practically finished.

Not helpful I know, But you leave yourself open to being taken for a ride when you agree to day rates,

I'd still be inclined to say hold your tongue OP, Assuming you could get someone decent to come in and finish the job, which many may not, By the time you pay the man there now, and settle up the rest, You probably won't be a whole lot worse off, Plus you're running the risk of the man there walking off site, and the new contractor letting you down leaving you high and dry.

Just an update on this. I relieved the original plasterer of his services last week after he didn't show up one of the days.

New plasterer started today and has flown through it on the first day. I was being ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Well, how did you finish up? Happy? And did the cost come under budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The day rate you were paying seams a little low. 550 including materials? Not surprised that were going slow. I'd have been looking for a lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

I presume it's all done now? Would you recommend him? If so I'd appreciate if you could PM me his details. Thanks.

The new plasterers finished on budget and ahead of schedule. And I'm absolutely delighted with the job.

In scenarios like these, it's difficult to follow your gut and throw a tradesman off the job. But in this example I was absolutely correct. I came home everyday extremely happy with the progress made and confident they were advising me to make the right decisions. The exact opposite feeling I got from the previous guy.

I would highly recommend him. I'll PM you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Aka the cream

Not just for plastering but all trade work including my own( decorator)

one should use highly recommended from friends/ relatives only

afte obviously checking work done previously

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In that case different story. They were trying to milk it for sure.

Agree. My recommended plasterers were too busy, and after being let down by a contractor, my house stood ready, stripped and ready for plastering. I needed to get a guy in sooner rather than later, so I depended on reviews on Google to find a decent one. The plasterer that let me down was the highest reviewed guy, 5 stars, no bad reviews. But they can be easily faked. Second guy also had great reviews, but I had second hand recommendations from 'real' people online (Facebook).

Only as good as your last job

• Advertisement
Advertisement