Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rusting on alloy wheel

Options
  • 21-12-2021 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

As shown in the picture, looks like there is rusting on my alloy wheels. What is the easiest/cheapest way to fix it ? also is it dangerous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's not rust and it's not dangerous, the paint is just flaking off the surface. You can bring them to a wheel shop and get them re-furbed (expensive), or you could clean it back yourself and apply alloy wheel paint and lacquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

As said, it is not rust but it certainly is corrosion of the wheel and isn't dangerous at all (just unsightly).

You could sand the affected area and use a wheel paint to fix it but results vary depending on how well you prepare the area and how skilled you are at spraying. Most wheel refurb places will do it for about €80 - €100 per wheel (or thereabouts, so don't quote me) and it all depends on the finish you want as well.

If you are in Dublin, there are plenty of places that offer a wheel refurbishment service that could very easily fix this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Thanks folks - It is a 14 year old car and I am hoping to replace it next year. So maybe I will leave it for now and see what my plans are for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of DIY alloy wheel refurb videos on youtube if you want to have a go at it yourself given the car is 14 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Look for a replacement alloy from a breakers yard, it’s the cost effective solution.

I just had my wheels refurbished, delighted with the result but no point spending decent money on a 14 year old car just for the aesthetics.

• Advertisement

alloy wheel repair kits available for 10 to 15 euro to repair curb rash and alloy wheel silver spray cans are cheap too. That is easier than finding than searching for a clean wheel in a Breaker's yard.

Advertisement