Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Extension done in 78 with window looking into our garden

• 20-12-2021 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭ seannash

Hi,

Inlaws are currently looking at a property that would need an extension in order for it to work for them. Its a terraced house so flanked on both sides by houses. Both neighbours have extensions already but one of them has a window that looks into "our" garden.

The extension was done in 78 so does that person now have a right to light through that window? The window is 4ft by 3 ft and they have their sink at that window. They do have the window covered with a film on both sides so no one can look in or out from inside the extension (We've seen it)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

They do have a right to light after 20 years. Basically they have an easement over the property you are looking at. Bit of a limitation for the people selling the house!

Not sure anything can be done about it other than talking to the neighbour/negotiating an agreement with the neighbour (like suggesting you install a roof window for them to replace the window).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭ seannash

Thank you.

I read somewhere that you have to formalise your right to light. After a few years you need to apply for it or something. I don't think they would go ahead with it without finding a solution with the neighbour prior to purchase.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

Sorry....I don't know about the need to formalise? One for the solicitors!

Advertisement