Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre mileage

Options
  • 20-12-2021 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on this,

What mileage would you be roughly expecting to get from 205/60R16 BF Goodrich on the the front of a 1.7 Diesel i40, down to the wear mark?

Mixed roads, very little motorway miles in the last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I know the above is tongue in cheek but sub <30k wouldn't be too unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thats a bit creepy, you're only out less than 100km.

14,000 miles is what its done.

I'm not sure of the last set, but they did 20,000 miles. (could have been a cheaper brand)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

I once got 58k miles out of a set of 195 65 15 firestone firehawks.

Wheels were rotated once and changed once they hit the wear mark.

Next set of firestones lasted 30k miles

They werent firehawks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I got just over 35k out of a set of Uniroyal Rain Sport 4. Skoda Octavia estate TDI 4X4. Outstanding in the wet with the 4x4.

Rotated once a year.

• Advertisement

The question with your i40 OP is what does the tyre wear look like? Have you any pictures of them?

I havent any pictuters, but wear is pretty even, slightly more on the inside, car was tracked when fitted.

I rang the place where I got them fitted, and they told me 14,000miles is exceptional mileage for the car and tyre size. (but of course they would say that) Seems very little to me, but im more used to bigger tyres on 4x4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Better quality tyres will wear faster.

It's a trade balance grip/longevity, if you want a tyre to last 50,000km then buy as cheap as possible but be prepared for terrible grip.

Having worked as a mechanic and now in fleet management, I've seen people get between 5000km to 40,000km out of similar tyres, the other consideration is your own driving style, the road surfaces and road types.

20,000km is a safe average.

Those i40's are fond of a tyre at the best of times too IMO.

If the wear is even-ish, i'd say it is what it is.

Cheers lads, tis the wives car, so I won't comment on the driving style 😂

What are Nexen tyres like? The Bfs are now €20 a corner more expensive than the nexens, they tell me the nexen is their most popular tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Nexen are a decent mid range tyre, they won't offer much to someone that likes to drive hard but should be perfect for a commuter, etc.

Advertisement