Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external insulation and thermal bridging with garage rafters

Options
  • 17-12-2021 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I would like to insulate my 3 bed semi detached house with garage attached to the gable wall.

I got two people to look at it.

One says that the external insulation cannot be done on the gable wall due to the garage roof being connected to the house. The garage roof would have to be pulled back from the house and then reconnected after insulation (ie. a new roof would be needed on the garage).

The other says that they insulate above and below the garage roof.

Has anyone else had this problem or if you could tell me which is correct I'b be very grateful. Dry lining the gable would not be good as bathroom tiles and built in wardrobes would need to be removed.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Do not remove part of the garage roof. Insulate above and below the garage roof and insulate in the ceiling/roof of the garage. If most of the gable wall is insulated- then you will have a very big heat loss reduction.

Insulation for sound reduction, you must have 100% insulated.

With insulation for Heat Loss reduction, you only need to insulate as much as is practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Thanks for the info

Advertisement