Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I was just wondering why Society and Culture menu that appears in the dropdown from Topics jumps straight from languages to military, and skips the forums in between.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Looks like that was an omission leaving Legal Discussion and LGBT out - not by design, I'll have to go through the whoe menu and see if anything else is missing. Thanks for the heads up and apologies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

looking at the discussion in the last few posts about the drop down menus, the science health and technology sub menu is only one column wide, so that's making it impossible to see the last 5 or so entries in that area, one of which is a high traffic area, weather, I have only just seen from the example above that the sub menu can be split into more than one column, which would possibly solve the problem, as it's not possible on my machine to scroll down to the "missing 5"

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Thanks @Irish Steve the menu needs a bit of work and has been earmarked to be worked on in the coming days/week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Banking & Insurance & Pensions is also missing under Topics -> Business & Finance -> Personal

@boards.ie: Niamh

Desktop on Windows/Firefox. On the right hand side we had a couple of menus, the top one was categories, and then under that was popular (or similar) which had a subset of the most active forums. I know it was said at the time they were temporary.

That second menu was useful, because at the bottom, it had the weather forum, which with the other issues of menus not working correctly meant it was a quick way to get to the weather forum. The second drop down menu seems to have gone AWOL, was that intended, or an accident along the way in among another change, as for me, it's a retrograde move to be losing that at the moment, given the other menu problems are not yet resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Extra click and you there, if this any good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mossie

When I go to "My Forums" on the front page and click on a post it takes me to the top of the page containing the first unread post, not to the first unread post itself. Then when I click back it takes me to "Latest Posts" not "My Forums"

That works, albeit on a laptop, it makes for a very big drop down that goes off the bottom of the screen, hence the problems with some of the menus on the other drop downs, as they don't scroll. Thanks

@Boards.ie: Niamh

The bug with threads not marking as read seems to have changed, there's a thread here

that is not marking as read for me, but as far as I know, it's not an "old" thread that goes back to antiquity, but it won't mark as read for me at the moment,

I will try it on mobile (I hate that device) and see if it's different, the most recent result was that the thread could be marked as read, but it still goes to post 1 if you access the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The game platforms section of the top menu isn't populating correctly. Only nintendo shows, PC, XBox and Playstation are all absent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Terrestrial is missing under Cable & Digital TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

This has NEVER worked for me!

If only clicking would take me to the latest post, I'd be a very happy bunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just clicking the main link brings me to the latest post.

It only works if you have already visited the latest post, not when you try on a thread you haven't visited yet or has freshly unread posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There's a little bit of ambiguity here, which leads to confusion: "Latest" is not the same as "Last". The button you're clicking is intended to take you to the latest unread post (although it doesn't always work, especially on threads created before the migration). There is no native* way to go directly to the last post in a thread

* The browser extension in my sig does add true "last post" functionality (desktop only)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

OK, in my head 'latest'='last'. What you are inferring is that 'latest'='first unread' which does not make a lot of sense to me. Obviously all this is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Ive brought this issue up multiple times but it seems to get ignored. Its so frustrating. By clicking the arrow it should bring you to the first unread post in the thread since you last visited. For someone following a thread this is the most logical point you would like to return to.

Some threads it works and other threads (and it seems to be totaly random) you get directed to the top of the page that somewhere contains the last unread post

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Multiple people have mentioned that and Niamh has acknowledged the issue so it certainly hasn’t been ignored, vanilla sure does have a lot of issues.

• Advertisement

We took the decision to remove that for the time being as we needed to free up some space on the right hand side for an ad and the Categories menu plus top nav bar should get you to whichever forum you need. As a mod you won't see the ad but other users will. Hoepfully we will also have a Followed Forums feature soon so a favourite forum can be added there too.

I have taken note of all of the missing forums and wull be doing my own search through the list for more before I submit a list of forums to be added. Sorry about that, I know it's annoying.

Also on threads being left unread (bold) this is being investigated as are the other navigation issues.

To be tested/confirmed...

Not even sure if its intentional/normal

Once have posted PM from within recipients profile, attempt to go page back by using mouse "previous" button (did not tested Alt + Left arrow) repeat posting of same message.

Win10 , FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Trending posts on main page showing posts from July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It's when not logged in. And they are random threads I would have little interest in. Also find it hard enough to believe the majority of the site would have been at that time either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,487 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting that those date stamps are from just before the old site was shut down.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭GBX

On mobile (Android/Chrome) if I rotate the phone screen, the page resolution/orientation does not revert back to standard mobile sizing. I need to then refresh the page to get the default view.

Thanks GBX I will file that as a bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so maybe this is just a misunderstanding on my part but I thought if you @'d a user in PM that would add them to the conversation. I've since been told that it doesn't and you need to add the user to the conversation via a box at the bottom of the screen. Except that box doesn't exist on desktop, it only exists on mobile. can management confirm how this should work on desktop?

yeah, some strange behaviour. As soon you enter @ it gives some random list of 10, not even alphabetical order. Once you type letter(s)after @ no suggestions.

There is no need for @, just type actual name

desk , FF

• Advertisement

i was more talking about adding users to an existing conversation. I should have made that clear. on mobile there is a box at the bottom where you can add recipients. that isn't there on desktop. I thought you could include people by @ing them. If @ing a user in a conversation doesn't make them a recipient then what does it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Functionality missing: It used to be possible to click on the total number of posts in a thread, and see a list of posters in the thread, ordered by number of posts (poster with the most posts at the top).

Is that something we will ever see again?

I honestly doubt that we will se that with this new version. Tbh I never even knew about that feature or ever used it.

The misunderstanding may be due to me because I understood the same thing initially but @ ing a user in a PM just adds a link to their proifle page really without notifiying them of anything. You can add a user to a conversation (PM string) on the mobile site as you said but not yet from the desktop site. I've asked for that to be done but as with a lot of things, it is on The List. It will be added, I just don't know when yet.

• Just trying to post normally this morning when I got temporarily locked out of system with this eternal loop message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If someone has somehow made their profile private you can't add them to your ignore list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I am having the same issue.

One of the 'Trending' threads is for a stage of the Tour de France, which took place in the the summer. Another is from a thread in Personal Issues containing a fair level of identifying information on the OP that was closed down by the Mods.

Appearing for me when signed-in on Chrome, and also when signed-in on Firefox using 28064212's browser extension.

Go to your Ignore List in your Profile and add them manually by typing in their username.

Not your ornery onager

I clicked on the link for page 167 of this thread and there are no comments showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The "draft saved" pop-up has started appearing again every time I try to type anything 😞

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The entire Net&Comms forum is broken. Both users and myself can't post/respond, or start new threads. The rest of the Technology category seems fine, it's just the Net&Comms forum alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Search not working on mobile device at all??

I'm on mobile and find some ads are causing the site to hang or freeze. I don't really like using adblockers because they require so many permissions.

What permissions exactly? It's a browser add-on.

Not your ornery onager

I've noticed this a few times, thought it was just me.

Using Chrome.

Edit: on mobile

Another thing I've noticed in the last week is I'm getting repeat notifications a few days after the original. One example, I was quoted on a thread on Dec 24th,dismissed the notification, reviewed the thread and today got a notification again for the same thing again. This has happened a handful of times now.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm getting this the last few days as well. Thought it was a problem with my phone.

Using Chrome.

Is Chrome the only browser with this issue? Do Chrome add-ons need particular permissions?

Not your ornery onager

I have a ad block on my PC with chrome but I have it disabled on this site so they can get a bit of revenue and I have always done so. If this site had more money they could have upgraded to Xenforo or some other feature packed forum software. The reason they went with what we have now is cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but I can’t see the full date on any posts at all. Only the month and year is currently showing. Is this a general bug at the moment?

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement