Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst ever Christmas song?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭randd1

Oddly enough, it so overly happy and cheesy that it twinned with a video of the most appalling violence and horrific fatal accidents (along the lines of a combination of the opening scene of the first Deadpool film and the carnage of Peter Griffin/Giant Chicken fight) it would be a perfect foil.

For example, the bould Mariah skipping down the street and swinging out of a sign-post, and as she lets go of it, the post falls over, hits a cyclist, the cyclist crashes into a worker with a pneumatic drill, who lifts the drill after being hit, starts drilling the diesel tank of a bus causing the bus to explode leaving body parts flying everywhere, as Mariah continues down the street singing her lungs out into the camera, oblivious to the destruction she just caused behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I wish it could be Christmas every day featured in a Black Mirror episode. The final plot twist involving that song reveals a fate so awful that the mind reels

What Are We Gonna Get Er Indoors - Arthur and Terry

“I hate the guts of Shakin’ Stevens

For what he has done

The massacre of ”Blue Christmas“

On him I’d like to land one on”

--- Mark E. Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Juran

Leona Lewis, 3 more sleeps till Christmas (or something like that)

Its pure tripe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Definitely anything Mariah Carey yodels. Definitely would make me want to become the Pope and move Christmas to June or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Heard a destiny's child one other day. Crimes against music police need investigate it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Archeron

Millennium prayer by cliff Richard. A complete abomination of a song in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

That was never meant to be a Christmas song - it’s about the suicide of Tony Mortimers brother. The lyrics make sense if you read them with that in mind.

I hate that Bo Selecta Proper Crimbo shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Trick question, it's all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

All day long! I'm not a believer in cancel culture but he should have been obliterated for that travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Christmas in NY. Never liked it, and it is overplayed on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Paul Kelly, Who going to make the gravy.

It's not the worst but definitely on the miserable side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fairytale of New York, an awful dreary dirge, played to death, and that tiresome debate every f*cking year.

Actually I've noticed The Darkness is the last Christmas song to stay in rotation year after year, that song is nearly 20 years old, is no one bothering to write new ones, will it just be this same group of songs from now until climate change eventually finishes us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

So here it is Merry Christmas is my most detested Christmas song. The worst part of the song is when the chorus is repeated 4 times at the end with Noddy screeching "IIITS CHIIIISTMAAAS!" with his 100 Major a day voice. I have to either turn off the radio or leave the room if it comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

"There won't be snow in Af-rica this Christmastime"

Gee why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You'll find some if you climb mount Kenya or mount Kilimanjaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

dolly parton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Surely Frank Kelly 's Christmas countdown deserves a mention awful tripe .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

My dad always used to play Christmas in Killarney by Dennis Day and I truly thought it was awful but looking back over 40 years later it brings back Christmas memories that are quite endearing and I think he probably played it to get a reaction. Some lyrics below.

There was cousin O′Flaherty

Uncle O'Shaunessy

Michael me brother and Auntie McGee

And Father and Mother were all in a dither

When Terence the baby crawled under the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭buried

They are all terrible in my book. Only decent one IMO is Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

How come the recent steaming pile by elton john and ed sheeran hasn't been referenced? - it's not like it's going to improve with age

In stark contrast, there's Jackson Browne's, "The Rebel Jesus"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

I like a lot of Christmas songs actually but Shakin Steven's 'Merry Christmas Everyone' is absolutely hideous.

Held off releasing it in 1984 as Band Aid was just about to be released. It might have disappeared that time but alas....

I would have said Last Christmas by Wham a few years ago but now think it's alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the only two I like are

" driving home for christmas " by Chris Rea

" walking in the air " by that welsh kid

the rest are all awful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah , that one is a perfect storm of awfulness , the song title itself , the video , the kids singing at the end , kids singing is a travesty in nearly all songs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Wizzard for sure, but all those 70s ones are just completely overplayed. I used to work in retail, in a toy shop / newsagents, and we had one Christmas CD which got played on repeat, all day long, for the weeks leading up to Christmas. It was torture and absolutely ruined Christmas songs for me.

The only one I can still listen to now is Nat King Cole's, because it's pretty chill. I would say the best Xmas songs now are the Dean Martin style ones, as they aren't as played as much as the 70s and 80s ones.

I heard the Coldplay one in a shop the other day and it was shocking. Like trying to tick all the "Christmas song" boxes.

I hate the Mariah one too, but so many people seem to love it. It's especially awful in Love Actually (shudder)

Of course, the best Christmas song is one that nobody knows, strangely, because it's by the biggest band in the world - Christmas Time Is Here Again. It was only released on a fanclub-only flexi disc, and then later as a b-side to Free As A Bird. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Destiny's child the 8 days of Christmas, Jesus wept what an abomination of a song nearly as bad as the Taylor swift Christmas tree

Advertisement