Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death notices on the Radio

• 17-12-2021 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

It is such an interesting unique thing about Ireland, it's basically our equivalent of Finnish people and their saunas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

And now RIP.ie is eating that lunch on the radio sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Is it? It’s my understanding that the ‘standard package’ from most undertakers include publishing in local media, a shout out for the deceased on the local radio plus a mention on RIP.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

its an income stream for the local radio stations, nothing wrong with that. they sure need it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

What I meant was it's not the appointment listening it used to be as many (not all) people who are interested just look them up when they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I think the punters tune in to make sure they’re not dead themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My mother listens to the deaths every morning then informs me on who has died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Still very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They play the local radio in a factory here. The staff treat the death notices as a competition between Monaghan and Cavan.

I like the idea my demise will be cheered as a score for Monaghan! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Often wondered if Dublin had proper local radio, would the practice have taken off here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Liveline (AKA The Joe Duffy Show) is practically Dublin Local Radio and the host is very much obsessed with death. He'd be only too happy to read out death notices for 75mins each day and pocket €400K for the privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I mentioned this phenomenon recently on another thread.

A Dub, I purchased a cottage in rural Laois 20 years ago. For a few months whilst doing major restoration I had to depend on a radio, had no TV, barely electricity. I recall vividly switching on and picking up local stations, out of nowhere, obituaries started, I thought mother of God, this has to be a mistake, turned the dial and another station doing the same thing, I thought mother of God, what have I let myself in for 🤣, I even called friends in Dublin, they thought I'd lost the plot all together and move back quickly.

This may seem odd to country folk but this is not something, I'd never heard in Dublin, I'm not even aware it is done on Dublin station's.

So there you go, a blow in's first experience of obituaries on local radio, 20 years later, cottage restored and still a blow in 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Is this de Liveline thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Advertisement