Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Value of a 1999 Prelude SiR S-Spec?

• 16-12-2021 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi , I have seen a car I like ,but they seem rare enough (?) so finding it difficult to find others to gauge if it's overpriced for what it is or not .

Just wondering if people could offer some input into what price a prelude Sir S-Spec in good condition and unmodified would fetch approximately .

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Lovely Car any link?

Ive owned two type s ludes very underrated car hard to put a value on one in today's market!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Honda Preludes are a bit of an odd man out. For some reason they've never attracted the attention and values the Civics and the Integras have. Even the fancier Accords get more attention. I've no idea why as they were always very nicely made cars with a host of innovations and were very popular for a time in period. They were also more "luxury" than the other Hondas in the range. No slouch for performance either in the larger engined versions.

The Sir S-Spec was Japanese market only and the last of the production run. For Honda S-Spec was just below the Type R level. The s2000 never got a Type R version, but the S spec was considered close to it and had the body lightening and trick suspension, just like the Prelude. The R's are great, but the S' are a lot easier to live with on a daily basis and of all of them the Prelude is by far the more substantial car(and don't seem to be as vulnerable to rust either).

Values are hard to judge. Values for the JDM stuff have climbed like mad over the last couple of years with the Civics and Integras getting the lion's share of that. Even so "value" very much depends on condition and even more, location of sale. In Japan an Integra R dealer price starts at 20k for a good one. In the US add around 10k and go nuts for US market examples with a few hundred miles on the clock(I think one went for something daft like 80k US). Similar for late 90's Civic R's. However, in Ireland if you actually want to sell one to what is a tiny market base the real world values are more like 15k. Ireland is a tiny market with a tiny number of buyers for the unusual and too many sellers who think an Irish car is going to be the same value as one in the US or UK or wherever.

I'd reckon and it's only a guess Senor Frog; for an Irish sale Prelude S in good nick, standard and not astronomical mileage with two dozen previous owners I'd say around the 10k mark, but even at that I'd say the seller would be waiting. Nice car though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What was the difference between they type s and sir spe s?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Thanks for all that Wibbs it's much appreciated . It does look a lovely car . I'm very tempted to go for it , but tbh the only thing which is putting me off is what you mentioned about when it comes time to sell and it taking time to move on .

EoinBmw no link I'm afraid .

With your previous preludes did you struggle with speed bumps and pot holes btw ? The front lip looks very low to ground even as standard .

• Advertisement

Not at all one was lowered 35mm with no issues!

Those the car your looking at have an lsd or Atts diff?

Thanks that's good to know .It's has LSD . It's a SiR S-Spec so a few differences to the type S you had previously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As far as I recall the Sir was the top of the range in Japanland, the Type S was the cherry on top with extras above and beyond. In the Civic and Integra line back then the Sir was the model below the Type R.

Well it depends as ever on how well you buy. The prices of the 90's JDM stuff is going upwards almost on a monthly basis and I suspect they'll continue to do so for a while. At least a few years anyway. The US market is partially driving this as they have a 25 year import rule which means when a car gets to 25 years old Americans can import them and they're certainly doing that at the moment, even stockpiling 97/98/99 cars in Japan for when their 25 years rolls along. Put it this way if you'd bought an EK9 Civic Type R three years ago you'd have doubled your money or more if you sold it today. Now granted that's a more sought after model, but even pretty mullered by aftermarket "upgrades" EK9's have gone way up in the interim. Preludes won't to the same extent, but the bottom of their value curve has been reached and passed at this stage and I can't see you losing money in the next couple of years.

Plus if I were selling I'd be also advertising it in the UK, as even with Brexit you've a lot more potential buyers. Hell, Japanese buyers are very much looking to their own past and driving values up, so you could get buyers there too. I know of one British Civic R that went "home" by that route.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Just on a hunch I don't think you'd lose out if its around the 10k mark allowing for low mileage and rust free!

I'd love one now it would be a keeper!

• Advertisement

Just going by the Ludes I've seen up close and personal they(and Accords) don't seem to have been nearly so prone to the tinworm as Civics and Integras(basically the same platform) of the time, which made 70's Fiats and Lancias look solid. I'd definitely be checking sills and rear arches, but would be a lot less concerned. Late 90's Civics/Tegs will almost certainly be rusty unless they've been repaired, filled with anti rust wax from new, or incredibly lucky.

Advertisement