Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just finished "Punters" by Aaron Rogan. About the rise of Paddy Power from a small Irish bookies chain to becoming a very large cog in a major gambling conglomerate. Shows alot of the misery & modern methods they use to cover up reality with fluffy PR stunts and trying to make out that its only a bit of fun and entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I was considering picking this up at some point but was concerned it was going to stray into "small Irish business takes on the world and wins" territory. From what you're saying, it goes for the jugular though?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

It goes at them and times where theyve actively encouraged gambling addicts with major debts to keep going. It does start out as a take on the world type thing but doesnt airbrush out the dangers of bookies and what PP have done

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The most recent books I finished were:

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates.

The Irish Assassins: Conspiracy, Revenge and The Phoenix Park Murders That Stunned Victorian England by Julie Kavanagh.

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.

The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante.

I must have passed by Elena Ferrante's novels a thousand times in bookshops and never once felt bothered, then someone with a clue recommended her to me and I devoured those two books in a week. Outstanding writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Erik Durschmeid's The Weather Factor. A history book about various major battles at different points where the weather played an outsized and or decisive part in determining the outcome. Was actually not as good as I had hoped for. 

• Advertisement

Finished Jack Whyte's The Skystone the first book in his Arthurian historical fiction series. Overall a decent book although somewhat like the prequel he went on a bit at times.

Rememberings, Sinead O'Connor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Been reading The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. Tried reading her book The Little Stranger a few years ago and couldn't get into it at all. This one has pulled me right in though. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Read it a year or two ago and massively enjoyed it. I should really get round to reading her other books.

• Just finished White City. Very enjoyable and it's not often a book can make me laugh, but I probably wouldn't be too impressed if I was Serbian.

Currently reading 4000 Weeks by Oliver Burkeman. A great book for the new year to help bring a little perspective to life.

If anyone enjoys anti-self help books I'd recommend this or The Antidote.

• Advertisement

Finished Morgan Llwelyn's 1014 Brian Boru and The Battle For Ireland. I have long been a fan of her historical fiction novels so was drawn to this book which is a straight up historical account of Brian Boru and the seminal Battle of Clontarf in 1014. Cannot recommend it highly enough. 

• The Mandibles. Halfway through and loving it.

The Song of Achilles, Madeline Miller. Enjoying it but since I started reading it, I've been seen it everywhere - Eason's bestsellers list, Goodreads Top Ten, etc. It's a bit strange for a 2011 book???? I had it in my pile and started reading because I enjoyed her Circe so much recently, but I wonder is there a movie/TV adaption coming out soon, or is it just a natural resurgence for a good book?

It's the impact of social media and "influencers". It got very popular on tiktok or something a year or so ago and it took off from there. I think I read that it sold more copies in 2020 or 2021 than it did in all the years since it was released.

It's kind of a weird trend, people posting 15 second clips of themselves crying at a book or whatever and then thousands of others go and buy it so they can do the same, but whatever floats their boats, I guess.

Mad - first I've heard of that trend. But on the other hand, a net increase in people reading has to be a good thing, especially when it's (in my opinion) quality fiction. I see elsewhere that 2021 was the best year in history for book sales in Ireland. Pandemic/lockdown effect obviously, but still, has to be a good thing.

Finished what is really book 3 of the Arthurian historical fiction series by Jack Whyte The Singing Sword. Liked it to an extent but like the previous one and the prequel he does ramble on at times. 

Yeah, it's a weird one alright. Lots of people reading but it seems like there's very little thought going into what they're reading, and they all just end up reading the same thing and having the same opinion. I suppose it's like any trend, really, especially social media ones. If you look at the people on youtube/tiktok etc who have huge amounts of followers, they eventually start getting sent books by publishers and then there's even less thought going into what they're reading. But I suppose even if one in every few thousand followers get properly into reading because it's a trend then what's the harm.

On to Bring Up the Bodies, Hilary Mantel. Sitting in the TBR pile for a long time but when I start reading it, I can't for the life of me figure out why I waited so long...

Finished Eric Durshmeid's The Hinge Factor which is an historical account of various battles throughout history who's outcome all turned on one crucial factor which very often turned out to be as much about a chance event or crazy decision as anything else. 

• Reading Pillars of the Earth after reading a good column about it in the Guardian this week.

It's long but a very easy read , and I enjoyed Follet's Century trilogy so am sure I'll enjoy this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I love Ken Follett's work. The Kingsbridge series is a fantastic read, enjoy.

I've just finished Anthony Doerr's Cloud Cuckoo Land. I feel bereft without it. Admittedly, it took a while to get into the stride of reading the different timelines but once I did I was absorbed into the various stories.

Other good January reads were -

One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by Marianne Cronin. Fans of Rabbit Hayes will like this one.

3 Hours by Rosamund Lupton

The Phone Box at the Edge of the World by Laura Imai Messina

The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Being reading a bunch of Scottish crime novels by JD Kirk,

Finished Jack Whyte's The Eagles Brood. The fourth book if you include the prequel in his Camulod historical fiction series. Easily the best of the 4 in the series so far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just finished John Boyne's latest offering The Echo Chamber. What a load of waffle. I loved his earlier work, particularly The House of Special Purpose and The Heart's Invisible Furies, but his more recent books are falling far short of the mark for me. Very disappointed.

Finished Jack Whyte's The Saxon Shore the fifth book if you included the prequel in his Camulod historical fiction series. Decent although like the first 3 he does go on at bit at times. 

Finished "Bring up the Bodies", Hilary Mantel. Loved it, but maybe slightly less than the first one. Will absolutely read the final one but perhaps not straight away - it seems to be people's least favourite of the three?

Was also reading Alice Robb's Why we Dream, non-fiction about ..... dreams. Enjoying it, but it often strays away from its scientific base and just wanders into anecdote after anecdote.

Also started The Fall of Babel, Josiah Bancroft, fourth and final book in his fantasy series, Senlin Ascends. Been a while since I read the previous ones but starting to get back into it.

Finished Jack Whyte's The Fort at Rivers Bend the 6th book if you include the prequel in his Arthurian historical fiction series. Up to now it has been a decent series although at times I felt he went on a bit but this one was definitely on a level below the others in the series so far.

Finished Jack Whyte's The Sorcerer. Book 7 if you include the prequel in his Arthurian historical fiction series. Like most of the others it was decent although at times he dragged things out a bit.

Set the Night on Fire, autobiography of the Doors guitarist Robby Krieger. I'm a sucker for a good music bio (always an excuse to throw together a playlist of tunes I've haven't heard in years or missed out on previously) and this one hits the spot so far. Light, plenty of humour and self-awareness, and full of interesting angles on the formation of the band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just finished Wraiths of the Broken Land by S.Craig Zahler. A 10/10 for me although I don’t read a lot of westerns it’s probably in my top three.A pretty dark read overall but some great characters.

Hopefully Ridley Scott gets around to completing the project someday.

Advertisement