Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Recorded incorrect mileage

Options
  • 16-12-2021 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Had NCT on Tuesday - Failed - guy who did the test used highlighter to point out where car failed, grand job, will get sorted for retest. It was only when I took the report out again that I noticed up the top in yellow box - Which was not pointed out to me by the tester

"Please check Odometer Reading!

Any corrections must be notified immediately to a member of staff before leaving the centre, as the recorded mileage cannot be changed afterwards."

The reading on the NCT Report was wrong by 40,000km! it was too low, and I assume when I go back in a couple of weeks for retest it'll be rectified, but what would have happened if it had been 40K too high and I arrive back 2 weeks later with much lower mileage than was 'recorded'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

I recommend ring the helpline, but it'll probably remain until next NCT and then it will be flagged as suspicious. That's really the way the system was intended, you can't bring the click down and get the cert fixed, as in they don't know if you clocked it yesterday or if they made a genuine error. I would say now you may have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭User1998

Pretty certain the mileage on NCT failures isn’t recorded so it shouldn’t matter, as in it won’t show on your pass certificate and won’t show on any history checks.

Definitely too late now to rectify it anyway.

And nothing would happen if it was the other way round, the NCT doesn’t care if you clock your car, but it would obviously look bad for future buyers of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Did you actually bother to read what the OP wrote ???

The NCT Report shows his mileage as 40k BELOW the actual mileage, not 40k above..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

The thing is I had no idea that the NCT did this, surely the person giving you your cert should emphasize the mileage they have recorded and tell you to come back in straight away if it is wrong, given that it can cause so much trouble for you later if it looks like you may have 'clocked' the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

I had the following about three months ago.

Dropped car to NCT at 9 in the morning, and told them I would collect it at around 5.

When I came to collect at 5 I noticed that the mileage on the NCT cert was wrong. What was in KMs they had read as miles, so they had shown about 60k extra kms on the cert. I went back in to the office and explained this to them. Was informed that the guy who did the test was gone earlier , and that they have about an hour to rectify the issue in house. Was told to contact the helpline. Gave them a ring and they said to send back the NCT cert to NCT head office and explain what happened. Did this and I received new correct cert the following day in the post.

Highpath

• Advertisement
Advertisement