Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect, Engineer to do plans for a Kitchen Extension

Options
  • 13-12-2021 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All Im gettin a Kitchen extension to my House in the new year, knock old one put up new one with some changes, its a small terraced house the extension will be aprox 350 square feet ive had some builders in, one said i should get an architect or an Engineer to draw up plans. I have a good idea what i want myself, so i though the Architect was not really necessary.

That's why im here, Should i get an architect or an engineer and whats the difference for what i want to get done. Any advice? i would appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bemak

sounds like you don't need planning so if you were to get an architect involved I can't see their fee being that much. if you have a good idea of what you want yourself then you could go for it and exclude the architect. without knowing too much about the project it's hard to say exactly what value an architect will bring - but I would suspect they'd cover the cost of their fees by taking your idea and maybe making it more efficient. they might also spot issues with your design that could have issues during construction.

plenty of people have extended kitchens without architects and they've worked out fine. If you want better than fine, I would suggest you get a few quotes and make a call on it. An architect will definitely give you a better end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I agree with above. An architect will consider elements that you might not have thought of so you should end up with a space that works better and is more pleasant to be in. They can help with the tendering process so that you know the quotes you’re getting from different builders are for exactly the same thing and you can compare like with like. They can also help with planning (if you need it) and choosing finishes etc. You can engage them to do all of that or just the bits you need.

And I would echo the comment about a better design paying for the architect’s fee. If you can save space by designing it more efficiently, the money you save in those few square meters could pay for the architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

ETRY

Please note that you could engage a Registered Building Surveyor to provide Drawings and a Specification of Works for your proposed extension

Do not allow a Building Contractor design your Extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

We wanted an architect to help us do ours. it was a simple extension but wanted an architect to see if they could make things better. However any we rang said the project was too small for them and they were too busy (Dublin). We ended up getting an engineer to draw the plans and then he signed off the extension as being compliant with building regs which is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ETRY

Thanks All for the responses. really useful information, im in the process of getting a few quotes at the moment,.

Jonnybravo would you have contact details for the engineer?

Cheers and Happy Christmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement