Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed

Options
  • 12-12-2021 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

OH has Mazda 141 CX-5 with 2.2 diesel engine. We were in Dublin at the weekend and oil pressure warning light came on, advised by breakdown service guy not to drive it, so we left it at Joe Duffy Mazda in Finglas. - we're from Donegal.

From doing a bit of reading since we got home it seems that that mazda engine is renowned for problems with oil pressure, and it looks like it could be a major issue.

Would ppl advise getting our local mazda dealer to get it collected and do the repair, or let Joe Duffy mazda do it?

Also if anyone has any experience of having oil pressure issues with Mazda engine, I'd be grateful if you'd post your experience.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes, there are two issues that can occur with that engine. One is interrupted DPF regenerations leading to contamination of the engine oil from the diesel fuel. The other is leaking injector seals leading to carbon build up blocking the oil pick up valve in the sump which in turn leads to the engine being starved of oil. The latter scenario would be the more likely to occur and it's bad because by the time the oil pressure warning light comes on the damage is done and the engine is scrap. I would leave it with Joe Duffy and see what they say. It may be possible to get a replacement engine fitted free of charge under Mazda warranty. This is an inherent engineering flaw with these cars and not due to lack of maintenance or driver behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good luck with that. I'd say you have little to no chance of getting Mazda Ireland to cover the cost of a replacement engine for a car that is nearly 8 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭goochy

car would have to have Full Mazda history and to have all required services done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Diagnose the issue. It's probable the oil level has risen and that will trigger the oil pressure warning light to glow orange due to oil dilution. Simple oil change may see it back on the road and fingers crossed no damage done.

The engines are very fragile however and prone to killing themselves in this way.

On the bright side the car is worth near nothing as a trade in so you can drive it and look after it well until it dies which will be any time from now until forever.

Post edited by ba_barabus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

It has FSH ok.

Had issue with oil pressure a few weeks previous, brought it to local mazda garage who replaced cracked washer in sump (I think - not my car) and replaced oil, then this.

• Advertisement

Valued at a bit more than that as a trade in lol

Its the same approach my brother is taking with his after going to trade it in. Nobody wanted to know and those who made offers effectively offered nothing when the figures were worked out. He's happy to drive it until it dies knowing its already worth very little.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

How long ago and now much mileage has been done since? I'd wait and see what Joe Duffy say and I'd be getting onto this mechanic then. If he worked on the "oil" and since then it's died, I'd be a bit annoyed. However, you have driven from Donegal to Dublin, so hard to know how much mileage has been done since the mechanic looked at it (and may be simply a case of bad luck).

The first issue was 17th of November, since then just commuting to work, about 200km per week.

Joe just reported back that diagnostics shows up nothing, they're gonna have to take engine apart..

Hold on, if diagnostics shows nothing then ask them if the oil level is high.

If it is do a full service on it and ask them to check the pickup pipe is clear.

Don't authorise a strip down until you do that much or you'll be into it for a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

there is an x on the dipstick above the full oil level. When the oil get this high it trips oil pressure warning. it means that either service to be done or the injector seals need doing. common issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Do BMW not do so on cars affected by the timing chain problem? Those were manufactured between 2010 -14.

BMW did for a time but there are plenty of people out there who were not entertained by them and had to fork out themselves. I don't even think Mazda will admit there is an issue with their engines, not to mind cover replacing it well outside of warranty.

Quoted about €7k to repair, Mazda have refused to help with any costs.

What are the options here? What would people recommend we do?

I'd be for taking garage and mazda (seperately) to small claims court, surely it should not have happened given that the car had been serviced every 6mths, and had been in with oil issue only 2 weeks previous - also from reading bits on the online it seems that it is a known issue with this engine.

The problem with the small claims court is that the maximum claim is 2k:

You might be better off having a consultation with a solicitor or legal executive who deals in these sort of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Has it a Mazda main dealer history?

Yeah, that's why I'd think of taking Mazda and the dealer to court seperately.

Yeah, full service history with Mazda dealer - as said had been in with them with an oil issue just 2 weeks before this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well that's working in your favour in fairness. Whats the overall mileage on the car? And the mileage between the first visit and disaster?

Overall about 160Km

Difference between first problem and engine death would have been less than 1000km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 r3pr3z3nt

Did you ever get this sorted? How did it end? Would you reccomend a garage thats good with Mazda repairs?

Pretty much a total snafu..

Joe Duffy diagnosed the problem, OH got Mazda to supply all the parts free, and she paid for the labour - 2K+.

Got the repaired car back in April, and in November (5000 Km) later the engine collapsed again.

Joe Duffys collected the car from Donegal before Christmas, and have been unable to say what the problem is since - no one has phoned or returned a call since mid Feb... every time OH phones the guy she was dealing with is in a meeting, away, off sick, or make up some excuse yourself, and will be sure to phone her back.

So pretty much a fukin disaster...

Thanks for askin' 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 8 r3pr3z3nt

OMG, that is a disaster. I just got my engine rebuilt, its 5kkm latwr and im getting vibrations, car shaking between 80-120 km/h when cruising and dpf regenerates every 150kms. I was hoping you found a resolution to your issue, but I guess we are both deep in similar ****. Hope youll get some resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

That's bloody awful

My advice? cut your losses, Get rid asap to one of the we buy any car sites, before engine warning lights come on.

Just to give the end of the story.

OH eventually resorted to emailing the CEO of joe duffy motors - Apr 24th - and recounted the story to him; he replied to her next day (a Sunday) saying someone would contact her first thing on Monday, and they would get it sorted asap.

Guy contacted her to say he was going to deal with it; next day she was told is that they had to get some special equipment from Mazda to remove the side of the engine to examine it that way - when that was done she was told that there were 2 valves that were leaking, next day that changed to there was a cracked piston - neither of which was their fault, but that the repair would be carried out free of charge.

Near end of May OH was talking to the guy dealing with it, told him she has no faith in them or the car anymore - asked would they buy it, he got their buyers to look at it and made an offer that she accepted. Then she heard nothing from them for more than 3 weeks, she emailed CEO again 3 days ago, she got payment into her bank yesterday.

All in all, since the car first had the problem back at Christmas 2021 the car has been in Joe Duffy Mazda for more than 12 months,

She's happy she won't have to sell it on Donedeal and risk some poor innocent buying it only for it to breakdown again and have no warranty.

I've told a good few people about this model of car, and 3 of them have told me they had the same issue with the CX-5 - 2 dealers/garages, and one ordinary Joe. One of them was a 2017 model, OH had a 2014, so Mazda have been banging out dodgy engines for some time..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cupoftea3000

Has anyone had problems with their Mazda Skyactiv 2.2 diesel stalling or stuttering? In January 2020 there was the recall AK016A. Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-5's with that engine were affected. The recall stated that carbon build up in the intake shutter valve could cause the engine to stall.

This happened to me while driving at about 10-15 kph in traffic. The car wouldn't restart, I had no power steering and no assisted braking. The car had to be pushed off the road. It was towed to the local Mazda dealer and after an extensive engine carbon clean it was working again. Sounds a bit familiar to the recall? I was asked to pay for the carbon clean and weeks prior to that the oil pressure warning light came on in the dash. Had the car towed to the dealer and they said it was "water" in the sump strainer. The sump had to be dropped, the strainer replaced, but, I'm not convinced it was water (€450 later). Was it carbon build up?

As part of the January 2020 recall, which at the time wasn't explained to me that it was a recall (had never experienced a recall before). They rang and said we have to do some work on your car. They said they had to give it an engine carbon clean and that if I was was paying for it, it would cost me €1200. They were making out like they were doing me a favour and not that it was as a result of a recall. I learnt much later that the intake shutter valve would have been inspected after the clean, replaced if needed. And an engine software update was applied to help reduce carbon build up.

Fast forward 3 years later and a 2nd engine carbon clean on the car.

Anyone else with a similar problem.

Advertisement