Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What you call moderation, I call micromanagement and stifling discussion, and it's rampant across what's left of this site and community.

Moderation should be to discourage and deal with situations like personal abuse, bullying, posts that might cause legal issues, and so on - not trying to control the flow and content of a thread with random bold formatted edicts to "get on topic", "post x in y thread" etc. Using your own example above, what you consider to be active moderation is in reality really only an obsessive need to micromanage the forum and discussion in it.

It's the same approach taken to Feedback - post here only if you fulfil x, y, z random criteria and expect more bold writing if you don't! You talk about new users perhaps venturing further across the forum, but why would they when they are reading what seems like trivial/petty instructions being issued on the threads they DO view/partake in?

It's this attitude from those "in charge" that is killing this site and has been for a lot longer than this disaster of a platform migration.

While of course a site like this will need SOME level of oversight and ground rules, too many of the Mods/Admins view the forums they oversee as their patch that should be run their way to reflect what they want to see/read, rather than a standardised largely hands off approach unless intervention is genuinely needed - something very ironic given the aforementioned obsession with process and micromanagement.

There's a lot more needs fixing on this site than just the platform and UI. Boards management (hi Odhran!) need to really take a long hard look at how the site is run day-to-day, and while relying on unpaid volunteers might be good for the balance sheet, it doesn't gel with the idea of having a consistent, welcoming and OPEN experience for the users without whom there would be no point to the site at all!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

Moderation should be to discourage and deal with situations like personal abuse, bullying, posts that might cause legal issues, and so on -

Absolutely agree, the issue is the tools needed to do that have been lacking since the move. Hopefully more comes on those soon

not trying to control the flow and content of a thread with random bold formatted edicts to "get on topic", "post x in y thread" etc.

Have to disagree with you there. If you want to discuss X in a thread focused on Y, then don't be surprised to see a thread split or a mod post saying to stay on topic.

This has always ensured threads don't become a complete mess or taken over by trolls. It's very difficult for trolls to derail a thread if you take "whataboutery" away from them.

You want to discuss X, then start a thread about it, its simple

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

That is not what is happening. For example a few weeks ago someone started a thread on children wearing masks in national school. A mod came a long and moved posts it into the 'mega' masks thread, effectively destroying the discussion. What's worse they appear to have left some posts in the original closed thread. Probably those they did not agree with...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Honestly, seems appropriate

Where do you draw the line? Threads on

• Masks in schools
    • Masks in church
    • At funerals
    • In work
    • In shops
    • And so on

You could quickly swamp a board with niche threads like that when they are all essentially the same topic i.e. Mask wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

You could quickly swamp a board with niche threads like that when they are all essentially the same topic

That is what discussion boards are all about. Those that are interesting rise to the top, while other die a natural death. Over/biased moderation kill it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Further to my post about not getting auto bookmarked on threads I had posted in I just posted in this thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057350902/requirement-to-create-a-will and it wasn't auto bookmarked, so maybe certain forums are excluded from it is my thinking...?

@Boards.ie: Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you have contributed nothing here except criticism of me.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

None of the forums are exempt from the 'Bookmark this discussion'. Can you check when you are next posting if the tick is present under the text box?

And when you post are you then going to your bookmarked threads page and not seeing it there or is it that you are not getting notifications for them?

Can you post some of the threads/pages on threads that are generating this warning? Usually it's to do with an image on the page hosted elsewhere generating the warning but I'll take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭feelings

Why is the site so slow since "version 1.0". It's painfully on mobile and desktop, no matter what BB i use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭wally79

Speed seems ok here. On mobile device connected to broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There is still having the issue of the page trying to scroll. If I click last post it brings me to where I've left the thread previously and I'll have sometimes scrolled already to the last post but the site is too slow and tries to bring me back up the page. Frustrating.

Think it was, had my custom JS to auto bookmark, before it became a built in thing, in the code - thought I had removed it. Apologies

Has that sorted the issue for you now @fritzelly ? Great if so. Thanks for the suggestion there @smuggler.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

The Search facility ordering is broken. If I search I can get pages of results in Best Match which go back to irrelevant years ago. If I click Newest first, I get "No results".

Yes there is a lot of work happening on search as it is not working the way it should. If you use the filters on the left hand side (desktop) to filter by date rather than changing to 'newest' this should give more accurate results.

Use this link to search. It's sets the correct parameters.

No idea why "there is a lot of work happening on search". It works great as it is with the correct parameters. That's not a lot of work since it's even set by the url.

On desktop if you click on the magnifying glass in the header and type a search term it doesn't set the correct parameters so some work is still needed.

• Advertisement

Yes, I know. Thus the link. What I mean is it's not some behemoth task that requires lots of work. The actual system is already working but the front-end is just asking for the wrong url.

While it is being worked on, you could add a standard input that sends the search query to the proper url. You'd lose the autocomplete but it would actually result in a working search. You could add a link on every thread that sends you to the search page so you can search within that thread. Same with users. Totally basic html with a couple of lines of JS while the more involved work in the front-end is being done.

I'm making no comment on the extent of the work involved. I got enough stick the last time.

I found the actual line on Github. You would change line 70 to

? `${query}&domain=discussions&sort=-dateInserted&scope=site&types%5B0%5D=discussion&types%5B1%5D=comment`

There would be more to do to fix it properly. That shouldn't be hard-coded like that. But that's the level of fix we're talking about to get it up and working. You have to do things like that if a core piece of functionality is broken live.

I guess that's a sort of irony of using the paid version. You can't really get things like that quickly implemented, but if you just downloaded the free version and ran it yourself, you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Vanillas unnecesary line spacing has totally messed up posting poems in the Literature forum (one of my favourite threads, pre-vanilla).

Here is the last one properly posted in the "a poem-a-day" thread, from June:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117517716/#Comment_117517716 (since vanilla also doesn't allow cross thread quoting, I can only provide the link)

With the new Vanilla format, if posted now, it would turn into this...

It Is Here

What sound was that?

I turn away, into the shaking room.

What was that sound that came in on the dark?

What is this maze of light it leaves us in?

What is this stance we take,

To turn away and then turn back?

What did we hear?

It was the breath we took when we first met.

Listen. It is here.

Harold Pinter

A waste of space for a short poem, but can you imagine posting a long one (which is often the case) ?

Like this one: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/115294837/#Comment_115294837

@Boards.ie: Niamh - Can the excess spacing be addressed sometime, please?

Why not just post directly instead of in a quote block, like all the other posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought it had settled down, but I'm getting sent all over the shop when clicking into threads the last few days

I've noticed it mostly on mobile - I can land on the first unread post (ideal scenario), or the very last post post of the thread, or the first post on the last page of the thread, or somewhere random (but after whatever post I read when last in the thread).

It's exhausting.

I've said before, if it could be just one thing, you'd get used to it - but this randomness is a complete pain.

(And I'm still finding new posts dotted within threads that I've previously read, which is even more headwrecking)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

All those other posts are from pre-vanilla. Now posting those same poems double spaces every line - the quote block makes little difference in vanilla line format... see:

It Is Here

What sound was that?

What did we hear?

Listen. It is here.

Harold Pinter

....Poems aren't in paragraph form, Vanilla isn't set up for it.

Gotcha

Simple fix is

.Message p {
         margin: 0 !important; 
    }

That gets rid of all extra paragraph spacing in a message

• Advertisement

It Is Here

What sound was that?

What did we hear?

Listen. It is here.

Harold Pinter

So posting as code fixes the line spacing, but removes any formatting

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement