Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phrases and the likes you never hear outside Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

"feck" used often by older women as if it was somehow much politer than saying ****.

It’s not unique to Ireland and is even in the dictionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hotpress

pan / sliced pan.

Seems we adopted the French/Spanish term for bread, but only if it’s a loaf.

It’s one that my late grandmother (a Dub) used to use “a gomioliver”

as in “I wouldn’t be bothered asking that gomioliver.”

Also “he’s fly by night and tiddle the bricks!” (No idea where that came from but it’s old city centre Dub - a phrase for maybe describing a total fantasist or someone you couldn’t trust.)

”and it was goodnight now mam and thanks!” meaning someone took something for granted / without appreciation.

(Which is, I discovered later, a reference to someone getting laid and being dismissive or possibly even a reference to the sex trade.)

”and in she walked, with one arm as long as the other.”

- she visited, didn’t bring a present and ate all the biscuits.

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph and all the angels and saints! You’re after giving me a heart attack!”

”Ah, talk to me trousers!”

“She’s only coding you!”

(Lying without malicious intent. Seems it’s the same linguistic origin as “codpiece”.)

She was from very much city centre Dublin but spoke with like one of those old fashioned Gay Byrne style accents that was very clear but, very Dublin too.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Goes back a long way, according to Wikipedia. The origin is in Latin, as with many English words.

pan loaf is a style of bread loaf baked in a loaf pan or tin. It is the most common style available in the United Kingdom, though the term itself is predominantly Scottish and Northern Irish so as to differentiate it from the plain loaf. The pan loaf has a soft pale brown crust all round the bread, in contrast to a plain loaf's darker crust only at the top and bottom.

A pan loaf was once more expensive than the then more common plain loaf. Therefore, in Scots and Scottish English, to speak with a pan loafy voice is to speak in a posh or affected manner, e.g. the distinctive accents of Kelvinside, Glasgow and Morningside, Edinburgh.

What I often find though is when you get a phrase used by someone who isn’t from southern England, like sliced pan or hot press there’s much arrogant hilarity, even though those phrases are often very logical and old in origin. Press for example is just from older English.

I remember being in London and an American colleague of mine said “I spilled coffee all over my pants” - Immediate laughter and mockery, as pants in England exclusively means underpants / knickers.

She just responded “330 million Americans, as well as Irish and the Canadian and hundreds of millions of second language English speakers agree these things are pants, yet you think I’m the one speaking in colloquialisms.”

I think these might be both British but I remember hearing them in my childhood. Peg and chuck.

The teacher pegged the duster at the student.

I chucked my sandwiches over the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That -

'she visited, didn’t bring a present and ate all the biscuits' is a good one, never heard of that one before.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember all of them from my Dublin youth alright. Including the accent you speak of. Neither the "Ronnie Drew' nor the "Howya" accent, much clearer diction and much more "middle class". The Dort accent seems to have swamped that in the early 80's. From my experience in many cases the latter came not from generational Dubs, but by more recent arrivals from the countryside whose kids took it up and quite a number particularly the girls had elocution lessons at school. The rural version of that was much more singalong and less "English" and nasally(and nicer). That has pretty much disappeared too, having been replaced by a more mid atlantic twang throughout. Though more current California than the old hollywood mid Atlantic(which has pretty much gone extinct too).

Though the tiddle the bricks one I heard was "he's a go by the wall and tiddle the bricks" for a sneaky fecker. Which you can picture a cartoon villain back to the wall sneaking around with his hands to the wall. 😁 Another one was "shore" instead of "drain". EG "The shore's blocked again!". IIRC that's another Tudor one that we held onto and the English didn't(like "press"). "Bowler" for dog was another common one in Dublin anyway(I can't remember what the cat version was). "Clatter" for a hit or a punch. "Bowsie" and "gurrier" are still around but seem to be less in use. "Scraabing" for "scratching". "Pox" and "poxy" seems to have fallen out of common use, though we should bring that back with the current pandemic....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

The one I heard, which could have been a story that grew legs, but still funny:

American office rings receptionist in Ireland.

“Hi, I just want to check that you got that report we sent over. It’s highly confidential. So make sure it’s kept securely.”

”It’s already in the press.”

(Caller almost has heart attack)

”what! How?”

”I just put it straight into the press when it arrived.”

”OMG … you published it ?! Why!?”

”No! … The press! The cupboard here beside my desk. I’ve securely locked it.”

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Mar dhea

"Lookit... (to begin an explanation for something)

cute hoor

the arse on yer wan

you brought the weather with ya

the craic was 90

made a hames of it

the music was cat

Not sure how common this is, but my parents generation would have said "good man yer da" a lot, i always assumed it was a half insult because the compliment is to yer da and not to you, but im only guessing.

Also "as dead as hector".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In most of the world, a ditch is exclusively a trench in the ground, usually filled with water. In Ireland the term is often used for a raised boundary, like a hedgerow.

So you’ll hear of Irish farmers “knocking” or “building” a ditch, whereas their foreign counterparts would be filling or digging them. (although obviously the trench definition is known here too).

I was wondering where the Gurrier one came from originally.

My theory on it has something to do with the Norman-French. Because 'guerrier' is the French for warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Clouster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

I am though.

I will though.

Be alright to.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭divillybit

I asked my old neighbour how's she cutting?

'Ah, shur grabbing the divil by the tail' he said.

'And you're not letting go!' was my reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Good man yourself!

I'm bushed. Or knackered.

"Young one" meaning a little girl, and "young fella" meaning a boy - used to be very common in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I had one with the phrase “your man”.

There were a group of Americans sitting there understanding that my colleague was referring to my boyfriend or husband, who I was weirdly not defending and fully agreeing that “Your man is an awful egit.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Knackered is a common English word, I think it's spelt codding, she's codding you.coding means programming Knacker, itinerant,, bleeding, I was bleedin banjaxed, what's the story, Dublin slang,youse all, Dublin version of you all, bowsie,

Deadly dub slang , good, Jo maxi, taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wile - think its a donegal/ulster thing, used as an adjective it means 'bad', but can also be used as and adverb along with bad, to conversely makes it less bad

"It was wile, hi"

"It was wile bad, hi"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fortnight is not especially Irish; it's standard/common in all varieties of English except US English. It's US English that's the outlier on this one, not Hiberno-English.

It is much politer, and is unrelated in origin. "To feck" means to "to steal surreptitiously" (as opposed to, e.g, robbery by threats or force). It has died out in most English dialects but survives (and indeed thrives) in Hiberno-English. You can use it as an interjection (Oh feck! Feck off! We're rightly fecked now!) but you can't use it to refer to actual fücking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Of course, even Shakespeare used it!! Dunno what I was thinking posting that!

Maybe I was thinking of our habit of saying "Friday week " meaning the Friday after next...

I thought about this one more, in between acting the Gurrier. Could the word ‘Gurrier’ have come from the Huguenots that fled to Ireland from France? Would make more sense than the Normans more recent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I remember people using pegged for throwing alright, used for a different meaning these days of course that hopefully wouldnt involve students and teachers.

Reefed - for grabbing something off someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A similar story; an Indian telling his Irish work colleague an incredible anecdote.

"Ah go away!"

Indian looks shocked at being dismissed in such a fashion.

• Advertisement

I think though some people need to get their head around the fact that there are significant differences in local phraseology and you just have to learn them / get used to them.

I've encountered an American who goes around permanently baffled with the smallest little differences in how Irish people say things like that and claiming that they're rude when they're not - the 'would you go away!" was one of them and she was claiming that Americans never say anything like that, then she met a friend of mine from Boston whose default way of expressing any kind of even mild surprise or excitement is "WELL F**k me! - that coffee was amazing!!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Back in my day pegging meant running really ran.

"Johno did a knick knack on the Nolan's gaff and then I seen him peggin' it across the green. The Da came out and caught him and lashed his out of it"

There a couple of dozen meanings for Peg. Peg meaning to throw is probably rare enough for some people to think it might be Irish.

v. peggedpeg·gingpegs

v.tr.

1. To fasten or plug with a peg or pegs.

2. To designate or mark by means of a peg or pegs.

3. To fix (a price) at a certain level or within a certain range.

4. Informal To classify; categorize: I pegged her as an opportunist. Why do you have me pegged as the rowdy one?

5. Informal

a. To hit, especially with a thrown object or fired projectile: She pegged him on the head with a snowball.

b. To throw or fire (an object or projectile): "How did you learn to peg a ball as straight as this?" (Zane Grey).

I am not even sure it used anymore.

But keeping watch/ lookout for others was known as 'keeping sketch'.

Example -

A - Keep sketch lads will youse?

B+C - Sketch - here comes yer man, put the brick down he will hear us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I had someone explain to me that him and my father used to be friends so close as to be "like sh1te to a blanket".

'Pegged her as an opportunist' reminds me of another one.

'Twigged'

Meaning - understood or realised.

There is some theories that it came from the Irish - tuig - understand/realised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There are some English expressions that came from Irish :

Smashing - is maith é sin

Galore - go leor

Galore, yes.

Smashing, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I heard a story of a pre-marriage course where the priest asked if anyone in the room currently had sexual relations. A big lump of a farmer looked confused and replied "jaysus if I have, they weren't at me fathers funeral"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I still use this.

When I was in the gaeltacht the expression was "Ta an capall ag leim" amongst the bogger. I thought this was far too long winded and lame so I never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

If someone is fond of the grub,

"He would eat the hands of the clock, that fella."

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

When I moved here 20 years ago, quite a few things were a first;

"Are you OK?" when entering a shop

How Are you? "Not too Bad"

"Thanks a million"

"so" at the end of sentences (e.g. See you tomorrow so). The so at the end of sentences always made me wait as I thought something more was coming. I do no longer but still find it strange.

And of course "What's the craic"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Getting the 'shift' . Or coourt.

This might be a West of Ireland type one.

Calling someone a 'scut'

Scut, get out!

Sort of get out you lazy/lowlife type of idea. Had an aunt that used to say it when getting the cats out of the kitchen with a brush

I never really thought much of it until I heard there was a word 'scutage'.

The dictionary definition of scutage is -

'A tax paid in lieu of military service in feudal times.'

--

Apparently scutage was frown upon as a way of avoiding military service. It surely can't be beyond the bounds of possibility that Scuttage was gradually shortened to 'scut'?

--

The cambridge dictionary has 'Scut' as

Irish-English informal-

'a person who you think is bad, stupid, or unpleasant:

Go away, you little scut!'

"Warrior" came into English from French with the Normans, so there is no reason why "gurrier" couldn't have. In fact English has lots of words that came in with the Normans and, so far as I know, none that came in with the Huguenots, who were a much smaller group and had much less social and cultural influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Saying "sugar" as a substitute for ****. As in "well sugar, I forgot to get milk from the shop!" Not sure how common this was, my grandmother used to say it. Havent heard it in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Depending on where you are, to "Peg" someone also means to bum them with a strap on 😄

Other old sayings which I've heard in Limerick would be "He would ate the eyes out of your head and come back for the eyelids" and "He would ate the cross off an ass", basically describing a glutton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"He wouldn't give you the itch" was apparently a saying describing someone who was mean. The itch being scabies. I remember a teacher in primary school telling us that in the 80s that it was a saying when he was young (circa 1940s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Sebstian, I think the joke was on the priest there.

He was being told it was none of his fúcking business, in the nicest way possible.

Advertisement