Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases and the likes you never hear outside Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Knackered is a common English word, I think it's spelt codding, she's codding you.coding means programming Knacker, itinerant,, bleeding, I was bleedin banjaxed, what's the story, Dublin slang,youse all, Dublin version of you all, bowsie,

Deadly dub slang , good, Jo maxi, taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wile - think its a donegal/ulster thing, used as an adjective it means 'bad', but can also be used as and adverb along with bad, to conversely makes it less bad

"It was wile, hi"

"It was wile bad, hi"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fortnight is not especially Irish; it's standard/common in all varieties of English except US English. It's US English that's the outlier on this one, not Hiberno-English.

It is much politer, and is unrelated in origin. "To feck" means to "to steal surreptitiously" (as opposed to, e.g, robbery by threats or force). It has died out in most English dialects but survives (and indeed thrives) in Hiberno-English. You can use it as an interjection (Oh feck! Feck off! We're rightly fecked now!) but you can't use it to refer to actual fücking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Of course, even Shakespeare used it!! Dunno what I was thinking posting that!

Maybe I was thinking of our habit of saying "Friday week " meaning the Friday after next...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought about this one more, in between acting the Gurrier. Could the word ‘Gurrier’ have come from the Huguenots that fled to Ireland from France? Would make more sense than the Normans more recent!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I remember people using pegged for throwing alright, used for a different meaning these days of course that hopefully wouldnt involve students and teachers.

Reefed - for grabbing something off someone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A similar story; an Indian telling his Irish work colleague an incredible anecdote.

"Ah go away!"

Indian looks shocked at being dismissed in such a fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement

I think though some people need to get their head around the fact that there are significant differences in local phraseology and you just have to learn them / get used to them.

I've encountered an American who goes around permanently baffled with the smallest little differences in how Irish people say things like that and claiming that they're rude when they're not - the 'would you go away!" was one of them and she was claiming that Americans never say anything like that, then she met a friend of mine from Boston whose default way of expressing any kind of even mild surprise or excitement is "WELL F**k me! - that coffee was amazing!!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Back in my day pegging meant running really ran.

"Johno did a knick knack on the Nolan's gaff and then I seen him peggin' it across the green. The Da came out and caught him and lashed his out of it"

There a couple of dozen meanings for Peg. Peg meaning to throw is probably rare enough for some people to think it might be Irish.

v. peggedpeg·gingpegs

v.tr.

1. To fasten or plug with a peg or pegs.

2. To designate or mark by means of a peg or pegs.

3. To fix (a price) at a certain level or within a certain range.

4. Informal To classify; categorize: I pegged her as an opportunist. Why do you have me pegged as the rowdy one?

5. Informal

a. To hit, especially with a thrown object or fired projectile: She pegged him on the head with a snowball.

b. To throw or fire (an object or projectile): "How did you learn to peg a ball as straight as this?" (Zane Grey).

I am not even sure it used anymore.

But keeping watch/ lookout for others was known as 'keeping sketch'.

Example -

A - Keep sketch lads will youse?

B+C - Sketch - here comes yer man, put the brick down he will hear us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I had someone explain to me that him and my father used to be friends so close as to be "like sh1te to a blanket".

'Pegged her as an opportunist' reminds me of another one.

'Twigged'

Meaning - understood or realised.

There is some theories that it came from the Irish - tuig - understand/realised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There are some English expressions that came from Irish :

Smashing - is maith é sin

Galore - go leor

Galore, yes.

Smashing, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I heard a story of a pre-marriage course where the priest asked if anyone in the room currently had sexual relations. A big lump of a farmer looked confused and replied "jaysus if I have, they weren't at me fathers funeral"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I still use this.

When I was in the gaeltacht the expression was "Ta an capall ag leim" amongst the bogger. I thought this was far too long winded and lame so I never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Steviesol

If someone is fond of the grub,

"He would eat the hands of the clock, that fella."

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

When I moved here 20 years ago, quite a few things were a first;

"Are you OK?" when entering a shop

How Are you? "Not too Bad"

"Thanks a million"

"so" at the end of sentences (e.g. See you tomorrow so). The so at the end of sentences always made me wait as I thought something more was coming. I do no longer but still find it strange.

And of course "What's the craic"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Getting the 'shift' . Or coourt.

This might be a West of Ireland type one.

Calling someone a 'scut'

Scut, get out!

Sort of get out you lazy/lowlife type of idea. Had an aunt that used to say it when getting the cats out of the kitchen with a brush

I never really thought much of it until I heard there was a word 'scutage'.

The dictionary definition of scutage is -

'A tax paid in lieu of military service in feudal times.'

--

Apparently scutage was frown upon as a way of avoiding military service. It surely can't be beyond the bounds of possibility that Scuttage was gradually shortened to 'scut'?

--

The cambridge dictionary has 'Scut' as

Irish-English informal-

'a person who you think is bad, stupid, or unpleasant:

Go away, you little scut!'

"Warrior" came into English from French with the Normans, so there is no reason why "gurrier" couldn't have. In fact English has lots of words that came in with the Normans and, so far as I know, none that came in with the Huguenots, who were a much smaller group and had much less social and cultural influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Saying "sugar" as a substitute for ****. As in "well sugar, I forgot to get milk from the shop!" Not sure how common this was, my grandmother used to say it. Havent heard it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Depending on where you are, to "Peg" someone also means to bum them with a strap on 😄

Other old sayings which I've heard in Limerick would be "He would ate the eyes out of your head and come back for the eyelids" and "He would ate the cross off an ass", basically describing a glutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"He wouldn't give you the itch" was apparently a saying describing someone who was mean. The itch being scabies. I remember a teacher in primary school telling us that in the 80s that it was a saying when he was young (circa 1940s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Sebstian, I think the joke was on the priest there.

He was being told it was none of his fúcking business, in the nicest way possible.

Advertisement