Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Can put up mine if anyone needs them or can build others if anyone has a good idea. Lad i work with is an absolute genius on excel and ive been picking up a lot off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've a prattley scales here, a great job, it reads records and give the ADG while the lamb's in the scales, I had to agree to buy it years ago to get a new jeep over the line here. Because lambs aren't handled in the scales they just run in and out of it on their own, even fighting to get into it,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭emaherx

I made up an Electric Fence monitor and was testing it this evening. It is actually just to read the flash on an electric fence signal light, so I've been testing it with Christmas tree lights 🎄. I should have a few ready for when cattle go back out in spring, probably needs some tweaks to sampling time to conserve battery life and Data usage.

I added a touch screen in the Kitchen, with access to Home Assistant to monitor the House and Farm.

Electric Fence Monitor ready for some field testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

What kind of motion sensors do you use? Any issue with false alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I use a WiFi sensor. They are technically an indoor sensor but I mount them in an outdoor junction box leaving only the sensor dome exposed.

The dome is then covered by a piece of 40mm wavin waste pipe cut at 25mm len which narrows the field of detection.

As for false alarms, they are rare as I always install them in pairs in the avenues where I have them. So, both sensors need to be activated within 30 seconds inorder to trigger an event, ie, notify me or complete a command. In one avenue, the sensor is about 10m from the first, in the other, its about 20m and actually working off a different wifi network.

I use a pretty basic smart app based on the Tuya system called Smart Home so all sensors and plugs are ran off that

False alarms are always going to be an issue, but, I never have a sensor installed where it can't be seen by a camera so if i have an activation, I can have a quick look. Takes a bit of tinkering to get best position and angles

Cat or dog will set it off, but birds and wind won't because of the pairs

Sensors works of live power via a USB and plug into the box, or mostly a pair of batteries

One sensors is mounted into a box with a camera and light mounted onto the front so i have a camera a light and a sensor. This is in the machinery shed

Post edited by AckwelFoley on

I like the Wavin pipe mod, simple but effective. Did you consider beam breaks? or just nothing available for Tuya eco system?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes. I would have preferred something like a beam breakers but couldn't find anything that was available

The reason why I started using Home Assistant is its ability to mix devices from different IOT eco systems which gives far more choice , also in the case of Tuya with some third part integrations its possible to control the devices locally so they still work if the cloud servers or your internet connection go down.

I've been using some image processing from my Hikvision DVR to send alerts to Home Assistant, but I'm using fairly basic cameras and it only supports smart detection on one camera and basic area detection on the others. I've the smart detection setup for the front gate and it rarely has false alarms, but the area detection on other cameras can be triggered by leaves on a windy day. I'm considering using Frigate with a dedicated processor for proper person and object detection.

Having said that, sometimes you just can't beat simple, I have a few spare PIR's lying around so might give your idea to narrow the field ago.

• Advertisement

Well that doesn't work very well. Flash from signal light is not prolonged enough to register reliably. Not sure if a better photo diode or a different signal light might improve it.

Plan B

I disassembled a cheap voltage divider type fence tester and put a volt meter on it Across the resistors.

Sample Rate for the cheap meter is too slow to capture every pulse of the fence, but it is a measurable voltage.

Think I'll need to go with a custom built circuit with a Voltage divider to reduce voltage to millivolts and an Op-amp to make safely readable by the Arduino.

plan B went up in smoke, due to under rated Resistors 🔥 😧

Plans A and B will be revisited later but here is Plan C. I was avoiding this one as I thought it might not be accurate enough but initial tests are promising.

A non contact EMF sensor, surprisingly easy to make with just a resistor and a short length of wire.

Sensitivity could probably do with some adjustment, but its just a matter of using different resistor values.

Adafruit lora32u4, Has built in LoRa Module and a LiPo battery socket with USB input and battery charging circuit, I'm hoping it will be a simple job to add a small Solar panel like the micro USB ones for Cameras like Reolink use.

#define MY_DEBUG
    #define MY_RADIO_RFM95
    #define MY_DEBUG_VERBOSE_RFM95
    #define MY_RFM95_RST_PIN 4
    #define MY_RFM95_CS_PIN 8
    #define MY_RFM95_IRQ_PIN 7
    #define MY_RFM95_IRQ_NUM digitalPinToInterrupt(7)
    #define MY_RFM95_MODEM_CONFIGRUATION RFM95_BW125CR45SF128
    #define MY_RFM95_FREQUENCY (RFM95_868MHZ)

#define MY_NODE_ID 84

#include <MySensors.h>
    #include <Arduino.h>

uint32_t SLEEP_TIME = 30000; // Sleep time between reports (in milliseconds)

#define CHILD_ID_LIGHT 0
    #define LIGHT_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN 0

MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID_LIGHT, V_LIGHT_LEVEL);

// EMF

int aVal=0;
    int VL=0;

void presentation()
    {
        // Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
        sendSketchInfo("EMF Sensor", "1.0");

// Register all sensors to gateway (they will be created as child devices)
        present(CHILD_ID_LIGHT, S_LIGHT_LEVEL);
    }

void loop()
    {
        aVal=analogRead(LIGHT_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
       // if (aVal > 1 ) {
            VL=map(aVal,1,100,1,255);
            Serial.println(VL);
            send(msg.set(VL));
      //  } 

// Sleep until interrupt comes in on motion sensor. Send update every two minute.
       //sleep(SLEEP_TIME);
    }

Initial Arduino Sketch for testing. It is setup a a light sensor, as Home Assistant and MySensors don't have an EMF option.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Would it be possible to use the electronics of a robotic house vacuum cleaner to operate a homemade slat cleaner. Using either the random function or with the more expensive mapped type?

Possible maybe, but probably not very simple or practical either. By the time you add required safety functionality for the high torque motors and sensors suitable for that sort of environment you'd be as well off building from scratch. There may well be open source projects that would provide a more suitable platform for a machine of that scale.

Dang emaherx.

I was hoping you would just say use the outputs to trigger solenoids to power high wattage motors.

When ever you figure it out let me know 😆

I seen a video of one with attached orbital sander

😁

I've worked on a few Joz robotic scrappers, they are a simple enough machine mechanically.

Building a decent DIY one though probably wouldn't be too cheap by the time you build the chassis, aquire appropriate motors and build the charging station, the electronics wouldn't actually be the hardest part, although software could be tricky but ROS would probably be a good starting place.

https://www.ros.org/blog/getting-started/#

I'd love to spend some time building a robot of similar scale but I think unless I find some sort of cheap donner machine for parts/chassis it's not likely for a while. I was thinking of a field robot for spot spraying weeds using openCV to recognize weeds like ragwort.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I priced robotic scrapers for a new shed, I think I was quoted 17k for a Jos scraper..could it be done for 30-40% of that I wonder.

I've long thought there would be a market for a an automated grassland spot sprayer..ticks the box's every way, labour,spray savings, environmental benefits.

Funnily enough I would be the opposite. The chassis wouldn't be that difficult. And if I went to the cost I know a guy would build it in stainless. I could do rough fit out, but the electronics would be a no go. It's a pity cause Dad was an electronics engineer but he's in his 80's

• Advertisement

Yes, but I'd say you could easily be in the thousands even with a good DIY build, the final refining of software then would be the make or break of it being worthwhile.

If you add a cost for the time, effort and research involved I think you'd definitely want to be planning on making a lot of them in future to make anything that could be considered a saving on the 17K.

The spot sprayer ticks a lot of boxes alright and I'd really love to automate dealing with ragwort especially.

I don't think it would be a major issue to fabricate, but think it will be costly enough by the time all the mechanical parts are fitted.

At the right price it would be a real seller for sure..possibly a drone would be more practical can go over hedges, wires etc.

I can imagine a future livestock farm with no tractors required only for silage and slurry maybe..drones/robots measuring grass,soil and crops and applying precise amounts of liquid fert to the requirements, using met data cross referenced with on farm weather stations for timing.....spot spraying or mechanically removing weeds.. add in virtual fences and robotic milking, robotic yard scraping and robotic feeding..

Sure what would we do with our time, back to the real world I better open this bale of silage... ha

Not sure a drone would really be more practical in practice.

Licensing for Autonomous drones is more complicated for a start.

A slow moving land vehicle for pasture weeds, would have better battery life possibly extended with solar panels, be able to carry more chemical and waste less due to better identification of weeds and better shielding due to drift. Drones probably better suited to tall craps and a slightly wider broadcast of chemical targeting problem areas of a field but probably not individual plants.

Sure what would we do with our time?

Your Automated world will still take a fair bit of administration and maintenance, I like to imagine it would leave more time for family. It could also provide more time for actually looking after the animals too, but I suppose it could go either way on many farms. I like the idea of devices for animal health monitoring as an aid rather than replacement for regularly checking and handling animals. Having recently given up working off farm, I'm beginning to wonder how I ever found time to farm.

Yes I suppose output with a land based vehicle would be much higher..

yes I love the idea of health monitoring.I like the idea of it highlighting an animal maybe not ruminating so it's just allowing the farmer to take a closer look before it might become out serious problem.. like everything the earlier you can get in and solve a problem the less time it will take.. I'm still working full time off farm, so collars are something I'd love to get but unfortunately funds not there at the minute..mind you as a value for money investment I'd say they are up there, not overly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I haven't read all the contributions here, so forgive me for butting in. Re cattle health monitoring - i knew a computer programmer whose work involved downloading data from a large dairy herd's pedometers. A cow lying down for extended periods was investigated for health issues.

Butt away.

Yea, any change in behaviour can be flagged as needing investigation, Activity, Rumination, lying time, milk yield, temperature, etc.

€ 1.914,96 | Automatic Gasoline Engine Remote Control Robot Cordless High Capacity Lawn Mowers ON750 For Sale

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtyN8cu

What price is that actually? €1,914.96? + delivery

Looks the business though, not sure I'd be willing to spend that kind of money on aliexpress

Post edited by emaherx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

That idea has been rattling around in my head for the past couple of years! I would'nt be great with the software side of it but i think mechanically it is doable.

Advertisement