Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorists may be encouraged to film and report bad driving

• 14-12-2021 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

This is music to my ears ! We can finally use our dashcam footage to expediently report bad driving without having to go to a Garda station first!

Granted, if the footage warrants a potential prosecution, then you might have to go in person, but at least you'll know something will be done. So the journey to the Garda station will be worthwhile.

On my journey to work, the speed limit on a certain stretch of road is 60 km/h, there is a slight curvature on the road and a continuous white line, despite doing 60 km/h, ie the speed limit, I am still overtaken (over the continuous white line) by some drivers.

Before anyone says that I am probably driving slower than 60 km/h, that may be true, but the speed at which the driver then proceeds ahead of my seems to be far in excess of the "undermeasurement" of the speedometer, so the likelihood is that they ARE speeding.

Vulnerable road users will hopefully be safe now and hopefully cyclists can use cycle cameras as evidence. I hope this also extends to phone camera evidence of dangerous parking in bike lanes etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would be surprised if that footage would be used specifically for speeding offences; as it does not provide a calibrated measurement of the speed of the other car, it would not specifically be a speeding offence which could be chased. it'd have to be a different offence based on other behaviour than speed alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We should get some of the regular posters here to review the footage.

"From this one dashcam we identified the reported driver committed one offence, however the submitter of the dashcam footage has been cited for 17 different offences in the same 30s of footage and has now been banned from the road."

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

That's true, but it would show an overtake maneouvre was done over a continuous white line on a bend. An offence in itself.

Hopefully it also means cyclists can more easily report close passes and intimidating behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

This will be a GDPR minefield I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah jaysus the GDPR bogeyman. car regs are specifically required to be displayed in public, and submitting the footage to gardai would be reasonable use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

How much are they paying for the footage 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Take a look at any news article published on on any road incident in the country. There's always a standard line, that goes something like this:

Any road users who were travelling in the area at the time and may have camera footage, including dashcam footage, are asked to make this available to investigating Gardaí.

Dashcam, CCTV and mobile phone footage is used in investigations and court cases up and down the country every single day. If there were GDPR issues, you can be sure that a defence solicitor or barrister would have brought it up by now, and the practice would cease. There simply isn't any GDPR issues with private individuals recording video in public places.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’d be too busy breaking red lights and endangering pedestrians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Fair number of cars and even buses driving through red lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another day, another new thread by the OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, very busy indeed

Strange reporting by the Times with their "motorists will be able to report...". Are motorists the only road users? Pandering to their car industry advertisers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And we're off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I can guarantee you that there will be challenges to dashcam and CCTV footage in courts at some stage, just wait for someone with deep enough pockets to come along. I have not heard of anyone being convicted of anything on the back of dashcam footage yet. Also, plenty of private individuals have been asked to change the angle of their home CCTV setups as they have been filming outside of the boundaries of their property and onto the street (which is public, the last time I checked), all in the name of GDPR.

In any case, what is to stop someone deliberately making a nuisance of themselves on the road to bait people to do something stupid for the camera? There are plenty of idiots out there who would get their jollies from stitching up other motorists. I have read of instances of this in other countries that have snitch systesm in place, albeit usually with a "bounty".

Overall, I think this is just putting the onus of policing the traffic laws on to ordinary citizens and is covering up for the lack of investment in law enforcement in this country by successive governments. Besides, if someone is driving dangerously and you have it on camera, there is nothing stopping you from calling into the local garda station and reporting it right now anyway.

I doubt this will be implemented at all.

Victims of dangerous driving get stitches, life changing injuries and often funerals too.

How specifically can anyone bait another driver? What would this look like? Driving at the actual speed limit maybe and watching all the "baited" drivers zooming past?

I've had drivers prosecuted for mobile phone use based on helmet camera footage. The current system is extremely cumbersome and very hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd share zero in the current environment, you could have your camera or phone seized for 2-3 years while a court case looms with your full name and address openly disclosed to a potential fooking looper in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Isn't this shower already snitching and reporting bad driving behavior at enormous cost to the state 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Your phone seized? They just get the footage off you.

• Advertisement

This isn't standard procedure with dashcam or CCTV footage. One Garda did try it on recently in an attempt to deter reporting. Unless they come with a warrant, they're not getting my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

I am up for helping out if they set up a dedicated unit and also use the recordings of Garda braking the law to sort out the few Garda's that believe that they can operate above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i already do my bit in helping slow traffic down, by flashing oncoming drivers, every little helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, every little helps, just like surveillance does with dashcams!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

What a dickhead the guy in the video is, he can't even use the road correctly but wants to white knight against everyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The courts wouldn't be able to deal with the amount of submissions. Every cyclist (for example) could easily send in multiple instances of poor motoring behaviour everyday as could any motorbike or even a pedestrian if they wanted to equip themselves. On my 15 min walk to school with my kids I could easily spot 50 issues whether driving on footpaths, poor parking, excessive speed on school zones, ignoring lollipop ladies, red light breaking.

This is not going to happen imo.

I would love if it did though.

The bad parking thread would have a new significance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Stephenc66

Interesting incident re-dash cam footage a few years ago in the UK. I was a passenger in a car that was involved in a minor crash on a roundabout.

In this case it was the other drivers fault. As we are discussing the incident with the police on the side of the road, a driving school car stops and beckons one of the policemen over. It turns out he was on a driving lesson and had been behind us at the time of the crash. His dash cam had recorded it all. He was returning back the road after leaving his student off and spotted we were still there. One of the police officers sat into his car and viewed the footage

I was later asked would I give a statement in court as the woman driving the other car was to be convicted of dangerous driving. I think this may have been exacerbated by the fact that there were more children in the car than there were seats for them and they were unrestrained.

As it happened it never went to court and the other drivers insurance paid for the damage done to the car in which I was a passenger.

I do know that the police man after viewing the footage there and then did say "well there is no doubt what happened there". I don't know if the footage its self was to be used in court but both the driver of the car I was in and myself were asked to give statements and if necessary to appear in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Raichu

• Advertisement

Is there something stopping you doing this right now?

If you feel so strongly about someone's driving, off you pop to the Garda station, make a statement and go to court.

Advertisement