Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a bike please

Options
  • 12-12-2021 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm a beginner - haven't been on a bike in years but looking for one for casual cycles at weekends/evenings, scenic routes etc so don't need an off road/mountain bike. I'm a 5'6" female and I'm looking for an upright bike - think I've narrowed it down to a Raleigh Willow or an Electra Loft 7D.

Would really appreciate your advice/recommendations/opinions - I think Raleigh have a good reputation but I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

With the way things are with supply issues, if you can go into a local shop and buy a bike then that is probably your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

as above supply is a huge issue so you could have a long wait for a particular bike if you go to a shop they may have something even a second hand one that could suit and you should have some comeback if any problems .

That Raleigh weighs in at a whopping 17Kg. That is a heavy bike!!!!

The Elektra is not a make I know much about but I believe it's owned by Trek (open to correction) who would be regarded as one of the top brands.

I think the advice above is sound, go to the shop and throw your leg over whats available. A decent shop will leave you try them out too so you can get a feel for what suits you and adjust it so that it's a proper fit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

My wife has one of the decathlon town bikes linked below. It’s cheap, reliable and has done lots of 5-10km spins. We’ve done a couple of 30-40km canal trails and greenways at a super leisurely pace.

Its not geared for hills, so if the objective is group oriented long days of cycling, do some research. Have a chat with whoever you intend to go for a spin with and see what they are riding and where you intend to ride together.

Even lifting it onto the roof of the car is a workout in itself.

Get a bike, ride it and have fun. You can always change it to a different model if you refine your needs / wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

My OH has a Carrera Hellcat bought in Halfords. It's a great bike for the money - (€460) It has 29 inch wheels, disc brakes etc. weight, about 15 kgs. It's ideal for rough back roads, mountain trails etc. Medium size should bo OK for you.

Also while in Halfords check out the Carrera Subway, it has smaller wheels 27.5 inch and retails at around €390. Halfords seem to be more reasonably priced than most bike shops and seem to have good quality products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I would suggest you look at the LIV range of ladies hybrids; there's a model to suit every budget.

LIV are Giant's ladies-specific bike range and their hybrids are both lightweight, well built and have decent levels of components to suit every pocket.

I'm a bike mechanic and I never see these coming in for any warranty issues; that to me speaks volumes.

Advertisement