Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'm using Arduino based nodes, and MySensors sketches.

Yes 3 sensors, top for water out, middle to control boiler/immersion and bottom shows solar. My tank is a solar tank and has at least 4 probe locations built in.

I bought my first MySensors gateway and temp sensors from adverts, but build them myself now.

I still have these 3 temperature nodes on my tank but I'll be replacing them with a single USB powered node shortly, as they are battery devices.

Probably an ESP32 using the same probes.

The Sonoff device you have works with the same DS18B20 temperature probes I'm using, they are addressable so you can connect multiple probes to it. Although you may need custom firmware on it, like Tasmota or ESPHome etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭pms7

Saw your solar water pump in the Journal. Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Seen as you understand the innards of these things, could you tell why my Gallagher dvm3 volt meter failed. Replaced the battery, no joy. Took it back to the supplier who sent to agent in Cork. Returned couldn't be fixed. I can't understand why they couldn't fix it

• Advertisement

Thanks very much just took a notion one evening to send it in, got a call after a few days and it was in the next edition. They must be short on their labour saving ideas 😁.

Really couldn't say without having a look at it. But at a guess as to why it couldn't be repaired is the failed component is a very large percentage of the cost of it deeming it (BER) beyond economical repair. Or they simply don't rework the board meaning the only possible repair would be replacing the entire board again meaning BER

Thanks for reply. A bit much that a pricy item like that can fail without they giving an explanation as to what went wrong with it.

Unfortunately it was out of warranty, but it wasn't roughed around either.

• Advertisement

Did you try Gallagher themselves?

If any electric fence voltage 9000V shorted through a failed component to the DC side 1.5V it's quite likely there is not much left to repair.

Thanks again. I bought a replacement, just that one bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Updated the sheep scales to a digital clock from amazon last week. Have a google sheets setup for weight recording. Fairly good to be able to know avg gain etc whilst the lamb is still in the scales.

Handy having your own scales alright. I presume you are still manually entering the weights from the scales to the sheets?

Has the clock a serial port on it? (could be internal as in needing to remove cover to access, but should be in the manual)

I put a cattle scales together after joining the BEEP scheme. Was considering utilizing the the serial port on scales to automatically read the weight into an excel sheet and now with compulsory EID tags adding an EID tag reader would completely automate recording.

I've started using farmOS as a farm management package.

I've set it up on a Raspberry Pi, Not a straight forward install as it wasn't packaged up for the ARM processor that Raspberry Pi uses.

I've managed to get my Water level Sensors working with it too.

Getting weights from a scales either directly into the package or transferred by CSV file would be a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Id like to get to that eventually but just manually inputting for now. once i type in the weight i have formulas set up for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

This is probably more of a guntering question, but I'm trialling something and I don't want to go ripping and stripping wires before I test it. I'm wondering if it would be ok to use a 4 core wire on a d type 3 pin plug, normally you'd have a two core wire with one wire power and one ground, what I want to know is can I use two wires as power and two wires as ground, so I'll have one ground and power going into the cab from the plug and the second live and power going to machine, hope it makes sense.

Not sure where the fourth core comes in, it that scenario. Is it just 2 going from earth pin to chassis ground?

The correct config for those plugs is one earth, one permeant live and one ignition switch aux live. But in practice the vast majority are 1 permanent live and earth. You can have 2 lives with one earth without issue, but it is the load that needs consideration as long as you don't overload the pins or the wiring you won't have a problem. There can be different amp ratings between manufacturers and the amp rating of the small pin will be about half of the larger one.

If there was a question in there about the amp rating of the earth line, the current on the earth pin will be the sum of the 2 live pins, doubling up with the earth wire will increase the current rating but just using a gauge wire suitable to the application is probably the best in practice. Basically make sure you are not overloading any of the pins or wires to avoid a fire.

You have given me an idea, possibly for a new thread/project.

Do you or anyone else think there may be any interest in compiling a list of formulas/macros or complete templates for farming spread sheets? We could start a github repo so that they will be searchable? could be divided into categories like Livestock, crops, accounts etc?

@patsy_mccabe did you mention similar work with excel sheets previously?

MS Access wouldn't need programming - would be more useful for filtering. I have individual xls spreadsheets for suppliers thst show different categories of product from the same supplier eg Fert. Feedstuffs. Drenches. etc.

I think Summarising all the categories at year end from the various suppliers could be done more easily in Access. Though I never seem to getting around to doing it

Anyone using MS Access ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What I did was basically an automated way of reading data from websites and downloading it to an Excel spreadsheet. It worked fine till the websites changed their format.😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

The farmOS software I referred to earlier stores all data to an SQL database.

A database is definitely the way to go but spread sheets can be use full too, information can always be parsed from a sheet to a database also.

Are you using MS Access yourself?

Web scraping, yea some sites actively do their best to stop it.

What sites were you scraping? Was thinking of writing a program to parse DAFM CSV export files to my farmOS setup.

In my working life I wrote/manipulated macros and used Access but that know how has vanished through lack if use. I have opened xls workbook in Access but never took it further.

I was opening the data from ICBF for all my pedigrees here and matching the cows with different sires in AI to see what the figures of their offspring would be like for figures, star ratings etc.

I used Selenium Basic and Google Chrome. A serious of videos here showing how to do it. A lot of work in it. I'm hoping the Irish Lim Society will make some improvements to their database before I go repairing what I've done.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

You will have to work around the login selective pin - unlike the ICBF which is static . Maybe login in first and then run the code.

There is a facility in xls Macros where you can record your keystrokes and tweak the macro afterwards to fit your requirements.

One of the days that I had time to spare I downloaded every bit of historic herd info from DAFM (20 years available). xls format. I don't know if it included purchased stock eg weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Nothing out of the norm .

Farm has about 20 cameras, 15 WiFi switches to power lights so they can be remotely controlled or linked to other commands...I have motion sensor at some of the more expensive equipment and 2 on the entrance avenue. . So I know when someone is on the the avenue and what direction they're going..ie in or out.. if after dusk the sensors in avenue are triggered and the one at the machinery within 20 mins of each other it sets off an alarm at 2 houses, mine and the fathers which then triggers the armed response units..

I have no intention of taking that approach, as Patsy pointed out web scraping is too prone to breaking due to format changes and security measures actively taken by sites to block it. Just simply a program to process the exportable CSV files from DAFM, could possibly be done with Excel and macros alone at least in the early stages but it may be developed further and possibly become a custom module for with farmOS later.

So basically initially read my herd profile from the exported DAFM CSV file and compare to one exported from farmOS and reformat and parse only the changes to be reimported into farmOS as births and purchases, and create a to do list of animals to be marked as on farm deaths and sales.

I have direct access to the SQL database of my farmOS instance so much of the processing there can be eventually completely automated on that side.

Sounds good,

Linked commands = Automation server? HA? or something else?

• Advertisement

The reason I automated it was, ICBF update the data every 3 months. There are 28 figures for each animal, each figure has a percentile ranking and % reliability both across and within breed. So that's a total of 224 values for each animal. By automating with a Visual Basic macro all of these values get downloaded to Excel in a few minutes. It's mad to see the webpages continuously opening and closing.

Advertisement