Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Bungalow Bliss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 glarch

• Registered Users Posts: 9 glarch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Every builder is a bespoke builder, pretensions nonsense ffs. So far the show is of little relevance from a building technology or architecture perspective, but I wouldn't expect any better from rte than attempting manufactured "drama".

While grand designs has taken a similar downward trajectory towards drama, it still features unique builds or techniques. RTE shows seem mostly about putting in big windows and little else.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Simply the sound of the conversation when Hugh visited the finished build and spoke to them in the open plan kitchen/living room with concrete floors, granite surfaces and very little to deaden the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭leath_dub

So you're walking down the corridor and someone's in the shower , you get the almost full show, courtesy of the opaque glass at the end of the corridor? No thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Incorrect. Their initial budget was 130/140k. They upped it to 250k after the architects design came back then added another 70k for the floors/walls issue.

It’s all mad money really. Felt kinda sorry for them as they didn’t really seem like they wanted to go all in with it but got caught up in the whole thing. I wonder if being on the programme adds pressure to really overextend yourself?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, at least this time he went into the library archives and find the book. The book is more than a catalogue of house plans - it is more a text book on how to build a home for yourself - in the Irish world that existed in the 1970s and 1980s. And with a free site from home, and you and your mates, yu can build it for not much.

Also in this episode, this bungalow is as built from the book without extension after extension, but a wreck and not habitable. The proposed plan was good, but underfloor heating required digging up the floor, but who checked the foundations? Answer - no-one. It was built on a raft which they just dug up - putting 70 grand onto the build cost - oops. Thank goodness they were fully qualified architects - not fly by night chancers.

Another huge overspend that stroked the architects ego. Well done.

Would the final result be worth the final cost? And would the stress of the project, and its mounting financial struggles be worth it?

The final result was good and definitely be nice to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

312k to end up with a kitchen/ dining/ sitting room with a couple of big windows in , let's face it a very modest size bungalow, is not very good value in my opinion. Cool for the architects who got paid for designing it and can put it in their portfolio but the owners a left with a nice bill for not alot of house.

I felt, for once, the architect was fairly down to earth and was basically telling them what their budget could get them i.e. improve the energy rating but not much aesthetically but once they saw the design they felt they had to go for it. Nevertheless he did give them a design that was initially 100k over budget. You just feel they will be drowning with that debt for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

This winner does these shoes do the architects credibility any good. They were already over budget before they even started - should have been sent back to their office to come up with a plan that met the constraints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

Tonights couple ended up with a nice house. The large windows captured the amazing views. I felt sorry for them though as I think they really are overstretching themselves financially - total spend was €662K (€350K ( original purchase price) + €312K build cost). Thats a huge mortgage for a young couple starting a family. At least given the location the house would be worth that amount if they sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭techman1

The proposed plan was good, but underfloor heating required digging up the floor, but who checked the foundations? Answer - no-one. It was built on a raft which they just dug up - putting 70 grand onto the build cost - oops.

My thoughts exactly, surely an examination of the foundations should have decided the build not the other way around. Why wasn't underfloor heating ruled out completely due to the raft like nature of the foundation and the cost. Raft foundations while not perfect are adequate and have stood for generations in much older houses, the house was not falling down due to mica in the concrete like houses in Donegal built barely a decade ago.

I know it’s been mentioned before but it would be nice to see someone tweak a bungalow and bring it up to modern energy rating. Say, 50-100k budget. It would make for more interesting viewing imo. Instead of every week seeing these massive transformations for colossal sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

No need, maybe you need to rewatch it, it was 120k-140k initial budget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think hugh has chosen his "dream team" of architects to brainstorm each week but different practices will lead the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It’s all mad money really. Felt kinda sorry for them as they didn’t really seem like they wanted to go all in with it but got caught up in the whole thing. I wonder if being on the programme adds pressure to really overextend yourself?

There's a lot of self-congratulation in the opening two programmes and there's two sets of families left with massive debts for, to be honest, not particularly fabulous homes. It suits the programme makers but is it really in the best interests of the families left with the bill? Dermot Bannon was big into this approach early in his Room to Improve series which usually went the way of [Dermot meets family -> they tell him their requirements and budget -> Dermot comes back with a spec that double the budget -> they scramble to get the money -> everybody claims to be happy at the end]

A "wow" transformation suits the progamme makers even if, arguably, it's not really that wow at the end. There seems to be an element of gas lighting going on by Hugh as well with his comments to the families.

The important question is where are the money trees growing? Two young couples able to pluck and extra 100-200k out of the sky ffs. I accept you need a contingency budget but that's just taking the pi$$.

I liked the build, but again with the open plan 🙄🙄. I really hate the hall door opening straight into the living room/kitchen/dining room. Zero privacy and will freeze everyone out of it if anyone is chatting at the door..... we're Irish genetically impossible to leave a house without standing at the door saying goodbye for at least a half an hour!

The opaque bathroom window abso-f*ckin-lutely not!

I loved all the windows in the kitchen and the uplighting.

I hope they enjoy their house now it's finished and pressure is off them.

I agree with you about Hugh. I don't really like him.

In all his shows he comes across as smug, patronizing and b*tchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

The big window in the sitting room was absolutely dripping with condensation in a few quick shots.

Yet again an insane amount of money for not much & no technical details on heating/water/ventilation and hardly showed anything about the external wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I suspect this program has done more to put people off buying a doer upper than anything else. we need irish homes under the hammer rip everything out and replace for 20k 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Noticed the condensation too, there was another shot of a front window where it looked as if it had just been cleaned. The polished floors didn't look great in spots too.

I am again convinced that they make up the numbers. 70,000 for floors/foundations seemed off the wall.

Liked some of what they did though.

Condensation may be on the outside. We have triple glazed windows and this happens....we nearly had heart failure the first morning it happened after the windows were installed.

Home rescue seems a good believable show.

Every house/bungalow doesn't need to be ripped back to it's skeleton. Unless the structural integrity of the building is gone most homes are perfectly serviceable the way they were built. They should really only need a cosmetic lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Will be interesting to see if they will do a piece on the retrofit. There was one posted for last week's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think you need to look up what opaque means.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I thought that the drone shot passing over the finished house looked terrible, the roof was as it was at the start all black and dirty looking, wonder why they would not have power hosed it before the start at least it would have looked better. I thought it took away from the finished refurb .

Saw this last night, didn't see last weeks.

Cannot believe they spent that amount of money and got what?

Walk straight into your only living area. No utility, no cloakroom, nowhere to put wet buggys and coats. No storage. A shower that everyone in the house watched you in. Jesus it put me right off a doer -upper.

They didn't look too happy at the end either, don't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Housing market is completely fcuked! Reinforces my decision not to buy at these crazy prices. They paid 325k for a house that they couldn't live in!

They found 200k down the back of the couch like the crowd last week.

People have completely lost the run of themselves...again!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭terminator74

I actually like Hugh. I feel its about the house and design for him. Unlike Bannon, Hugh lets the house be the star of the show. Bannon and RTI format is so formulaic, always a drama and the show is more about him than the houses/owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

There were a few details in the finished house that looked very poorly done. The blue tiles around the bathroom weren't centred properly (check around the window and bath detail: should be an equal gap at both sides). The wooden panelling looked scruffy along the floor junction and the front door. If you're paying big money, details like those mentioned need to be perfect.

I always think it's a poor reflection on the architect if they cannot stick to the design brief: one of the main considerations is budget. If the design doesn't come within 10% or so of the budget, then you're not doing what you were asked to do.

And as a few have mentioned, the frosted glass on the shower "wall" at the end of the corridor: come off it, that's just ridiculous.

Advertisement