Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convert Commercial classic to private classic. What's the best sequence?

Options
  • 01-12-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm new in the classics arena & I need to request your guidance please.

I have identified a commercial vehicle that will be 30 years old in 2022. It is currently registered as commercial and the back seats have been removed & the seatbelt anchor holes welded over as required. If I buy it I intend to convert it back to a 5 seater & register & insure it as such. My question is whether I should allow it to become classic first & then change the registration to private or should I change it to private before it becomes a classic?

It is a 1992 registration but I don't know what month. Will it immediately become a classic on 1st Jan 2022 or only on the month of original registration?

Appreciate all your advice & experience & pitfalls to watch out for. Thanks in advance Folks.

ITW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Depending on what county you live in will depend when it becomes 30. Wexford CoCo will do it the first week back after the New Year. Other counties wont.

Whats the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

Thanks W124man.

I have since come to find out that the classic status falls effective on 01 January 2022. It is not month specific in the case I describe or any case for that matter.

If I proceed I will follow this sequence:

-Buy & register in my name in 2022.

-Tax & insure it as is. i.e a commercial classic.

-Have it professionally converted back to its passenger vehicle status & professionally certified - same shop for the work & the cert.

-Revise the registration & insurance to reflect passenger vehicle status.

I think that covers it but I'm open to correction or suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

"I have since come to find out that the classic status falls effective on 01 January 2022. It is not month specific in the case I describe or any case for that matter."

That seems to be a good approach in my opinion.

With regard to the above, could you say how you came to find out the above or maybe give some information regarding circulars etc. that Motor Tax office staff could be directed towards in order to inform themselves of the correct procedure in such cases. From what I understand, not all Motor Tax offices are "singing off the same hymn-sheet" on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

I spoke to someone whoused to work in a motor tax office & she spoke to an ex colleague about my case. This was in a different county than me though , so based on your hymn sheet observation i may go and get that verified locally.

I don't have any documents or circulars to reference - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

At least you are getting some insight into how at least one Local Authority interprets the legislation. That will help you greatly when it comes to encouraging another Authority to see it in a similar fashion if such encouragement is necessary. I know that my own Local Authority stick rigidly to date of first registration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement