Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Software

• 08-12-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1 elaineb69

Just got a new laptop can anyone suggest a good free anti virus software. I use it for work so it’s my life line

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,206 ✭✭✭✭ Esel

Wrong forum, but the built-in Microsoft Security Essentials (SE) in Windows is very good. I used to use AVG before switching to SE.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,132 ✭✭✭✭ One eyed Jack

Aye, wrong forum, but MSE isn’t available for Windows 10 (Windows 11 if it’s a spanky new laptop the OP has). The built-in antivirus in Windows is now called Defender, definitely sufficient for home use.

Work laptop though I wouldn’t use a free AV solution, I use Webroot AV - small footprint, unobtrusive, it’s basically everything Norton isn’t 😂

If it has to be free though OP, I’d go with Malwarebytes.

Unless it’s a Mac, then I have no idea as I’ve rarely had cause to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ NewClareman

@OP The free built in anti-virus in Windows 10/11 (Windows Defender) is very good. In independent tests it consistently achieves results as good as other free and paid alternatives. For example, see here: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/windows-10/october-2021/microsoft-defender-antivirus-4.18-212518/. If you stay away from dodgy sites and don't click on links in mails you should be ok.

Having said this, if you are interacting with companies/clients online, check that they don't require that you use a specific product. If you work for a company with an IT department check with them for guidance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 8,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Shield

Mod: Moved to Laptops from Feedback with redirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭ billyhead

Is AVG free edition still any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭ fritzelly

Built in Windows Defender and common sense are all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭ glasso

use the microsoft one instead - it uses less cpu, is just as good in the anti-virus role and won't be constantly trying to get you to upgrade.

www.buymeacoffee.com/glassopy

Advertisement